MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Cbf 600

Cbf 600 - Forums [Biker Match] Cbf 600 - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Cbf 600

Help. Brake light doesnt come on when using front break. Where do i start looking for fault . Is there a seperate bulb for it. Could it be that simple.?

Update Reply
fantasia @ 17/02/2014 11:04  

Hi ... underneath the brake lever you will find a very small switch, it maybe that one of the contacts has come off, may need to be simply pushed back on.
Or ...
The switch may have dirty internal contacts, most switches are held in place with a screw (ahem) .. remove the switch, spray with WD40, especially the small plunger part, refit and try again.
Or ...
Replace the switch, put this number in ebay search bar
eBay item number: 140995212907

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/02/2014 11:10  

Hi gremlin. Thanks very much for input. I will let you no how i get on. X

Update Reply
fantasia @ 17/02/2014 15:05  

As Gremlin says, the likely cause is a stuck plunger in the micro switch All the Honda front brake light switches I've come across however are just a "push fit" in the lever bracket A quick inspection of the lever assembly will confirm if this is the case Whilst holding the brake lever in the "on" position you should be able to see the tiny plunger Take a small screwdriver (or other suitable implement) and try to push the plunger in If it moves then the problem is not there but either inside the switch or the wires connected to it If the plunger doesn't move in & out freely then a little "liquid engineering" such as WD40 should be sufficient to free it up Be gentle with it, it's only made of plastic, but they are generally quite robust & reliable Best of luck with it, let us know how you get on

Update Reply
Emzed @ 17/02/2014 17:38  

Front brake light switch on the cbf should be the type that is held in with a set screw and not the push in type.

Very comman failure if washed a lot or ridden in the winter. For the extra tenna get the gen honda one there much better normaly and you will get a years warranty with it. (i used to go through two or three a year when i was a courier but only ever bought one as it was under warranty) Unlike some of the cheapo pattern ones.

Also dont forget to squirt some oil in it before fitting helps keep the corrosion at bay.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 18/02/2014 10:52  

OK Stuie, I stand corrected We all live n learn But lube & regular inspection is always recommended OEM electrical parts are generally better value in the long run Particularly with Honda

Update Reply
Emzed @ 18/02/2014 11:48  

Oohh yes MZ i learnt the hard way about non genuine parts especialy for honda and bmw....funnly enough yamaha seam to build there bike with parts that make the pattern stuff look good ;-)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 18/02/2014 12:55  

Thanks for your input guys. Not sorted yet. But am usless at this sort of thing. So when it stops raining im hoping to get hold of a man who can. Lol.

Update Reply
fantasia @ 20/02/2014 13:50  

Hi,

If you use WD40 (which is great for water repellant) it will corrode the electrical contacts with time.

you are best cleaning contact, drying them, then using silicon grease which is non electrical conducting and corroding of the electrical contacts. it is also a water repellent so no more corrosion of contacts.

Update Reply
thediver37 @ 20/02/2014 23:40  

Thanks for that tip. Diver. X

Update Reply
fantasia @ 21/02/2014 13:04  

Fantasia, use ACF50, you could say it is a non-conductive version of WD40; it was developed to lubricate and protect things including eletrical components like switches in hostile environments.

Update Reply
Scorpio54 @ 21/02/2014 19:46  

Thankyou to you all for your advice and tips. I will get some acf50 scorpio. For future. I took my bike to a friends mechanic. It was my the switch. All sorted now. Xx

Update Reply
fantasia @ 23/02/2014 09:02  

Alternatively you could get rid of the troublesome microswitch altogether by replacing it with a Goodridge Banjo Bolt Brake Light Switch. Did this on mine after it kept playing up, you will need to bleed the brakes though:

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorcycle/brake-accessories/goodridge-banjo-bolt-brake-light-switch

Update Reply
Imola72 @ 13/03/2014 17:06  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email