MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

honda cbr600f.... any good?

honda cbr600f.... any good? - Forums [Biker Match] honda cbr600f.... any good? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

honda cbr600f.... any good?

my son has just passed his test and bought himself a cbr600f.
anyone got one,had one, got an opinion?
i took it out yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it but would like to know what to keep an eye on, any weak points etc as i will be the one servicing it while he learns how. cheers.

Update Reply
xj @ 03/02/2014 11:41  

Well done on him passing . Not had 1 but there very popular bike so cant be that bad. As for your son learning to service it I thought that got my son his 1st bike at 17 he is now 24 and I still end up doing it he does try but you hear this voice from the shed saying O carp dad where does this bit go or why don't this fit.

Update Reply
JP @ 03/02/2014 11:57  

It's a HONDA xj Nuff said Just regular oil changes (3000 mls) and routine maintenance Enjoy

Update Reply
Emzed @ 03/02/2014 12:24  

i have visions of it being a lifelong thing. or at least till i go senile and "forget" everything.

Update Reply
xj @ 03/02/2014 12:24  

All the hodnas i've had have been pretty bulletproof emzed, nearly as good as the xj.

Update Reply
xj @ 03/02/2014 12:27  

see my profile photo pics........... was my 1st bike, loved it. Only thing went wrong was regulator, clutch cable broke, and i had a chain and sprocket replacement. Forgave me all my stupid mistakes without mishap just after i passed my test. Although i love the VFR, i do miss it. Sold it to a guy in Bedfordshire, he loved it too.

Update Reply
VFR800AJ @ 03/02/2014 13:35  

I love my Honda although its a CBF 500....solid bikes they are.

Update Reply
rowanblossom @ 03/02/2014 13:39  

As Andy has mentioned it Depending on the age/mileage/previous owner's You may need to keep an eye on the charging system * A reg/rectifier can be obtained via fleabay for anything from £10* But that's about all apart from consumables * Bad earth connections are the worst culprits for destroying electrical components * I've seen OEM reg/rectifiers @ £50+

Update Reply
Emzed @ 03/02/2014 13:51  

I was going to a right-up with a bit of length but Emzed said all its a good bike just keep the battery in good condition and don't put silly bulbs in it every think else is just servicing

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/02/2014 14:34  

upgrade the reg/rectifrier.. ;) with one from Electrex an it'll be sorted

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/02/2014 15:29  

simply awsum bikes xj..licence destroyers if you let them off the leash..
As al have said..its a Honda! So change the oil and filter as often as you can,change the plugs when U think its gtn harder to start or missfiring and check the valve clearances occasionally (7.48 dia replaceable shims I think). Charging issues due to poor conns or reg failure are not uncommon on older bikes or ones that see all weathers.
I serviced a few over the years...

Update Reply
rossoandy21 @ 03/02/2014 17:08  

Let's do this the other way round.
Has anyone, anywhere ever had a bad 'un?
Thought not...

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 03/02/2014 17:30  

@ steve_H, Now that you’ve put it this way; then yes" I did break my thumb-nail one’s putting a set of sparkplug in look that one

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/02/2014 17:47  

Yes when I asked around for a 1st bike, almost everyone said CBR600................so I did !"!!!

Update Reply
VFR800AJ @ 03/02/2014 18:39  

thanx for the replies guys, appreciated.. especialy the bit about silly bulbs, that was going tbru my head.

Update Reply
xj @ 03/02/2014 19:01  

Almost as bullet proof as an old vfr750.

Good fave for London couriers which should tell you it can handle abuse. And they crash well ;-). By that I mean they ride again with tearing them selves to bits after you lob it down the road.

Should see a few hundred thousand miles with out any issues

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/02/2014 07:06  

On the subject of "bulbs" Although the HID kits are generally considered to "overload" the charging systems on some small & medium capacity bikes The bulbs I'm listing here are exactly the same "loading" as OEM (60/55W) I have them fitted in my 400 CBR & I can highly recommend them http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-H4-OSRAM-NIGHTBREAKER-PLU...48547eb853 They may be available elsewhere at higher or lower cost but they are a worthwhile "upgrade" to the stock halogen They may need an "adapter" to fit Mr Honda's lamps, (also available on fleabay), or you could just snip off the tabs* which are spaced differently, as it's highly unlikely that the bulb would move once installed correctly * I've done this on my Ducati with no problems, using a bulb I got from Netto

Update Reply
Emzed @ 04/02/2014 11:16  

xj I could really help you out here ,,,,,,,,,,,but I cant be bothered as you didn't get your passport for france

Update Reply
stutts @ 05/02/2014 20:32  

That's not fair Stutts, you know XJ gets seasick on the Woolwich Ferry, so coming to France with us to have fun wasn't going to happen.

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 05/02/2014 20:37  

ahh bless his little cotton socks

Update Reply
stutts @ 05/02/2014 20:45  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email