MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Alloys Forks...Best Ways of Cleaning Up

Alloys  Forks...Best Ways of Cleaning Up - Forums [Biker Match] Alloys  Forks...Best Ways of Cleaning Up - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Alloys Forks...Best Ways of Cleaning Up

My Blackbird came to me with pitted forks and ugly alloys..does anyone know of a cheap way of improving the look of not only my alloys but my forks....many thanks!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/01/2014 19:09  

Scotch bright pads or fine wire wool and Solvol Autosul should do the trick with plenty of elbow grease

Update Reply
Imola72 @ 10/01/2014 19:19  

Thanks knew there would be a cheaper way instead of sending them off to be professionally done..thanks I72

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/01/2014 19:21  

Well, I assume you're talking about the fork sliders (aluminium) if the stanchions are pitted then it's either new or refurb professionally as you'll just go through fork seals at an alarming rate otherwise.

If you know someone local with a lathe they may be able to spin the sliders and polish them that way with a little care.

Update Reply
Imola72 @ 10/01/2014 19:38  

Do as I72 has said then take them in and have a final polish and clear coat or you will be forever trying to keep them shiny

Update Reply
JP @ 11/01/2014 08:53  

They all do that,mine certainly have.doesn't go any slower for the scabby fork lowers so I'm leaving them for now.

Update Reply
Sprint900 @ 11/01/2014 16:28  

thanks everyone for your helpful advice ...much appreciated!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 12/01/2014 10:59  

Hi ... have had this problem on several bikes over the years, and on one bike I went to all the trouble of dismantling the forks to have the tubes shot blasted and powder coated, but it is a lot of work, and not cheap.

In more recent times I chose to do something about it myself, I used a wire brush wheel attached to an electric drill to remove all the old paint and it actually cleans the alloy surface very well, you need to take care near the fork seal though.

Once complete, clean the surface with 0000 wire wool and then white spirit, allow to fully dry. Then use some self etching primer and allow to dry for atleast 6 hrs, then gently key the surface with 0000 wire wool, before applying another coat of self etch primer. Finally, another gentle rub with the wire wool, before applying the paint of choice.

The paint I chose to use was black smoothrite, this paint contains glass powder, makes it very hard if you cure it correctly. I used an old convection heater and hung the fork tubes over it to dry.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 28/01/2014 11:36  

Wire brush in a drill on alloy ? Bit harsh put more scratches in than your trying to get out. Then have the long job of trying to polish them out with 1000 grit paper

Update Reply
JP @ 06/02/2014 11:35  

ok people this is what you need for your forks and I would get two one for each leg and do it dry goggles are a must http://www.metalpolishingsupplies.co.uk/dome-metal-sand...heel-50mm/ this is what I use then T-cut with the dome polishing mop {get min 2 per leg } then solvo dome mop then a good wax by hand with rag look at my results {on profile } the t-cut I poorer into a cup and use the next day when its gone thicker I wipe it on the fork leg then away with the mop when you think its shiny do it again have fun

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/02/2014 15:00  

Thanks!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/02/2014 18:55  

You could use a copper wire brush in the drill. I think Ally is harder than the copper, I've used a hand held copper wire brush and have had some good results on tarnished alloy.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 11/02/2014 18:55  

Thanks Bluey

got to wait for better weather..got to do it on my driveway....snow and ice and heavy rain isnt good for that sort of job at the moment!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 11/02/2014 18:59  

makes it exiting with elecy drill

Update Reply
havfun @ 11/02/2014 19:10  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email