MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Exhaust leak?

Exhaust leak? - Forums [Biker Match] Exhaust leak? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Exhaust leak?

Recently replaced my standard silencer with a scorpion aftermarket rpgp1 can .Where the connecting pipe joins the main exhaust I can feel what seems like a leak. Doesn't seem like its sealed properly and its as tight as I can get it. It's not that bad but just want to know if it's normal.Its more noticeable when starting from cold but not so bad when heated up. Just don't think there should be any escape of gases at all.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/01/2014 21:18  

Have you used any sealing compound on the joints ? You should have no leaks in an ideal world but if you don't mind cleaning off any carbon from around the area every week leave it

Update Reply
JP @ 09/01/2014 06:53  

Thanks JP .Maybe just have to live with it. Was given some instant gasket compound to try but not got round to it yet

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 11/01/2014 21:13  

I doubt instant gasket would work, Gun Gum putty would probably be the best bet but you may have trouble separating the joint later if you needed to. Or as JP says just leave it, but the trouble is depending on how much of a leak you tend to get popping through the exhaust.

I72

Update Reply
Imola72 @ 13/01/2014 08:44  

just wondered if I will be losing any power

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 18/01/2014 12:54  

It's possible, I'd be more concerned of MOT failure if the tester's strict.

I72

Update Reply
Imola72 @ 18/01/2014 14:08  

Copperslip works well on exhaust joints. Makes it easy to split as well.

Just dont use it up stream of lambda sensors as it will kill them in very short order.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/03/2014 10:12  

thanks for that. will try it

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/03/2014 20:15  

Update Reply
xj @ 06/03/2014 09:58  

oops lost my voice then.
copaslip is an anti seize compound to stop components rusting together it is not a sealant. if you try and use it to seal your exhaust it will spray out of the joint and make a horrible mess. it's consistency is grease-like but it is deffo not a lubricant either.
it is brilliant on the threads of your exhaust studs to help them undo but please don't try and use it as a sealant.

Update Reply
xj @ 06/03/2014 10:03  

Small smear of firepaste exhaust sealant. Once applied let bike tick over to cure paste. Dont rev it lol till cured.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/03/2014 11:02  

Cheers xj -duly noted. @danny thanks mate ,that sounds just the job

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/03/2014 18:43  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email