MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Northern lights

Northern lights (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Northern lights (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Northern lights

clearly jp is a man of good taste lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/12/2013 08:12  

Aye up, OBiwan, you still thinking of a ride to the far north shores around New Year?

If you're hoping for Aurora this looks to be a good website with clear, easy to find info on current activity forecast and links to other sites:
http://www.softservenews.com/Aurora.htm
Unfortunately it doesn't double as a weather forecasting site!
Everything looking very quiet just now - which is just as well with the weather as it is.

Offer of tea and a fry up is open permanently mate, Aurora watching or just touring around the country catching up wi' folk. Once I've extended a hand in friendship it takes an absolute shedload to force me to pull it back.

Update Reply
izzyhill @ 22/12/2013 15:36  

Sadly not looking to great for a New Year Northern Lights at the moment ;-/

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/12/2013 22:01  

No, but then that's not the only reason to come north.

Want to think about March? Either suggest a date or just keep an eye on solar activity and just 'go for it'?
I'll put a reminder in my Outlook calendar to check twice a week, see if things get lively.

Update Reply
izzyhill @ 22/12/2013 22:38  

I was lucky to see them many years ago...was fantastic..but it was from an airplane on a transatlantic flight from America to Manchester..it was in the early hours and most folk was asleep..the captain said it was very rare to see them...think it was late autumn time too...but I would like to see them from the ground if possible sometime...on my to do list

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 23/12/2013 00:27  

Not looking very likely at the moment ;-/

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 29/12/2013 11:20  

Just been told by my son the Northern lights could possibly be seen tonight in England (assuming the sky clears) solar conditions are at there best at the mo, early hours of the morning midnight to 3ish for all you night owls!

Update Reply
cyclemania @ 09/01/2014 17:52  

There was an article in the Derbyshire Times today saying that we might see them over Derbyshire if we are lucky!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/01/2014 18:48  

Skies clear here in yorkshire, am thinking of taking a wander out into the countryside later to stand a better chance against the light pollution. Saw a bit of them a couple of years ago, i think it was but would like to have a really good view of em, its worth getting away from city/town lights, i wont have to travel far a little over 5 miles i think.

Good luck anyone else intending to watch the skies!

Update Reply
Lindsay @ 09/01/2014 18:48  

I hope you see them GBNP

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/01/2014 18:51  

Skies are clearing up here too! keep you fingers crossed

Update Reply
cyclemania @ 09/01/2014 19:07  

Already crossed, toes too!

Update Reply
Lindsay @ 09/01/2014 19:31  

It's at times like this I'm glad I live here Almost feel guilty But I'll be up all night if anyone fancies a ride over Hot choccy & cake

Update Reply
Emzed @ 09/01/2014 19:42  

Would love to but its a bit too far for me Em and I cant leave the girls alone at such short notice...hope you have some visitors...hot choc and cake sounds SO inviting!! HUGE x

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/01/2014 19:51  

as im only 8mls from you emzed i will hopefully see the lights too

Update Reply
zzrbabe42 @ 09/01/2014 20:05  

Gutted

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/01/2014 21:33  

Gutted, OBiwan?

Cloudy over your place or you away on holiday or what?
Clear skies here but light pollution in town will scupper my chances and I'll not be venturing out in the car as still have to pack a few things for the weekend.
Will try to find earlier alerts of solar activity for improved chances next time.

Update Reply
izzyhill @ 09/01/2014 23:20  

Yea to far south im thinking and soooooooooooooo much light pollution here

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/01/2014 23:25  

Sorry about that. A bit more notice next time (and good weather to boot) and you're welcome up here - I know a few dark-sky locations to sit back with a thermos of hot chocolate and while away a night.

Update Reply
izzyhill @ 09/01/2014 23:28  

Got wrapped up toastie warm, headed out , clear night skies, stars fab .. saw nowt, zip, nada for about 2 hours ... then ....

I must have fallen asleep! Flippin heck, all i saw was the insides of my eyelids... Bums!!!

Came home at silly oclock, got into bed n it was time to get up!

Hope someone saw something even if it was only a flicker.

Next time i need company to keep me awake!

Update Reply
Lindsay @ 10/01/2014 07:36  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email