MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Northern lights

Northern lights - Forums [Biker Match] Northern lights - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Northern lights

Am thinking of a few days up North to see the so called Northern lights going by car bit concerned about the white stuff as i aint got 4 wheel drive. would seem the further north the better chance of seeing a good display. So i guess John o Groats would be ideal? But basically as far as i can get weather permitting, any constructive thoughts/experience/tips would be most welcome. Will likely try to be up there for New Year.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/12/2013 18:18  

Check the web for best dates, from what I can remember the 'lights' follow a 7 year cycle or maybe its 11. They are very uncooperative so there is no guarantee of seeing them.
This is on my to-do list!

Update Reply
SlowGoose @ 02/12/2013 20:50  

yes indeed tis 11 years according to what i've read

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/12/2013 21:33  

When the signs are all positive I'll be up there too

Update Reply
Emzed @ 02/12/2013 21:35  

i like to go see them

Update Reply
kaycat @ 02/12/2013 21:47  

what signs emzed?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/12/2013 22:21  

if ever there was a time for a
Double entendre Kaycat lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/12/2013 22:24  

snigger

Update Reply
kaycat @ 02/12/2013 23:05  

dark skies - no light pollution; right time of year - Oct/Nov and Feb/Mar I believe are more favourable than deepest winter; northern latitudes so John O'Groats ticks that one; but also recent solar activity and NO CLOUDS.
Makes it all a bit hit'n'miss but it could be one heck of a winter rally! Count me in if you're going ahead with it, very much something I want to see.

Update Reply
izzyhill @ 02/12/2013 23:54  

Those are some of the positive signs I was talking about Izzy

Update Reply
Emzed @ 03/12/2013 00:02  

LOL, did I get them all right? Wasn't sure which was latitude and which was longitude!

I'll look back at web pages and message ob54, but he did ask for thoughts/experience/tips - not passengers! To my mind, if I'm struggling to stay awake in the middle of the night, out in the cold, I'd need good company to help me do it
zzzzzz

Update Reply
izzyhill @ 03/12/2013 00:16  

I'm sure we can manage that Izzy And yes, you did get it spot on

Update Reply
Emzed @ 03/12/2013 00:27  

never say never izzy lol. but was thinking strangely enough about being under the stars/northern lights for new year sounds like this is'nt the best time? doubt very much i'd be on 2 wheels lol or camping as such but more like sleeping in the back of my people carrier with the back seats removed lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/12/2013 07:46  

Hey OBiwan, you go for it when it seems like a plan to you.

I wouldn't be on two wheels either and I certainly wouldn't be in a tent! I suppose there must be some hostelries still trading in the winter months, maybe even the odd B&B.

I think NY is too soon for me to be think of doing it but I will do a little research, as I'm sure Emzed will also, and try to find a promising time. There's often media coverage of heightened solar activity but you have to be prepared to go when you hear about it and then still have to take chances with weather.

Update Reply
izzyhill @ 03/12/2013 14:00  

OBiwan???? lol i like that may the force be with you etc etc lol. i have no set plans i shall likely leave it right up till the last minute to decide whether to ge new year or not. car will be packed just in case, and will try to remain as flexible as poss. will have mutt with me so will have company lol. got a mate in glasgow so might try n meet up with him at some point maybe. if you discover any good info i'd be most grateful if you would share it.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/12/2013 20:54  

LOL, you're welcome, it just came to me and seemed appropriate, be delighted if you keep it!

You actually have a friend in Hamilton so please do look in on the way up - I'm only 5 minutes from the M74. Let me know that you're setting off and I'll put the kettle on.
Now, I think I have homework to do ........ Emz. help?

Update Reply
izzyhill @ 03/12/2013 22:25  

Snow forecast John o groats this week ;-/

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/12/2013 09:37  

Snow forecast lots of places this weekend, starting tomorrow: winter properly arrives. Brrr!

Stunning day out today - said from the warmth of my office where I'm told it's already perishing cold.

Update Reply
izzyhill @ 04/12/2013 14:09  

Thank you izzy that's very kind of you when i travel up i will certainly let you know and if the offer is still open i dont take sugar in tea of coffee lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/12/2013 21:29  

Fried egg and crispy bacon on fried bread buttie with brown sauce

Update Reply
JP @ 05/12/2013 08:10  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email