MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Voltage change

Voltage change - Forums [Biker Match] Voltage change - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Voltage change

how do I change the 6v electrics to 12v on my SP400?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/11/2013 20:13  

It can be done, but it's a big job. Not only do you need to change the obvious,bulbs etc. You also need to change the charging system and starter motor. If fitted and of corse the battery, the coil and anything else that operates on 6v at the moment.

Update Reply
timhall @ 15/11/2013 22:24  

It used to be quite easy on old British bikes, but i suspect there may be problems with an SP400, even though they are getting pretty long in the tooth themselves now.
Might be an idea to try the Suzuki OC or maybe on the modern classic bike forums.

Update Reply
Wills @ 15/11/2013 22:35  

Thanks chaps, have seen conversion kits for the job advertised but very expensive. Will need to look into this a bit more before deciding I think.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/11/2013 00:37  

Why do you want to change it to 12v ?

Update Reply
JP @ 16/11/2013 07:53  

Improved night time lights Jp, 6v lights have the lighting capability of a damp swan vestas. I would like other road users to see me on my way home from work.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/11/2013 15:14  

Not for nothing was Joseph Lucas known as the Prince of Darkness in the days of 6-volt British bikes

Update Reply
Wills @ 16/11/2013 21:50  

Lol @ wills

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/11/2013 23:04  

Wills is quite right 66 All hail Jo Lucas, "Prince of Darkness" It was meant to be a clarion call for "electric" bike lights But "dying glowworm" would be more accurate I've had some scary moments courtesy of Mr Lucas When I finally got an MZ I couldn't believe how good the lights were And they were only 6 volt Japanese electrics were a revelation when they 1st appeared And the majority were only 6 volt They were far superior to most British electrics The majority of bikes were fitted with Lucas equipment Smaller bikes had Wipac or Miller Most only worked intermittently Maybe the 6 volt system on your SP can be revived If not then maybe your generator is putting out more than 6 volts (most do) Then you can just change the regulator rectifier/coil/starter & other ancillaries But they must have been OK when they were new So there is always hope that the lights will be serviceable with some TLC & good lamps

Update Reply
Emzed @ 17/11/2013 03:15  

cant test the lights at the moment as I havent sourced any yet, there are plenty to be had and they aren't too prohibitive price wise, I just had this nagging doubt in the back of my mind that 6v wouldn't give enough illumination, the roads around by me aren't quite as pitch black as round by mz's but they are good fast roads and I dont want to be meeting some dice dangling boy racer coming in the other direction on my side of the road because the prat hasn't seen my lights coming towards him.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/11/2013 09:50  

66 Do you really think that having lights will make any difference to being seen by a boy racer going round a bend on the wrong side of the road as he pretends he can drive.

Update Reply
JP @ 19/11/2013 02:46  

This is true JP, but it would be nice to see where I am going as well, after all, when I am sailing through the air as a result of my encounter with said boy racer, looking for a nice soft place to land is an advantage.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 19/11/2013 09:33  

That's true I would get one of those head lights thing on a big rubber band that go round your head so you can use it as landing lights lol. cont really see it being that hard to change it over all you need do is find a donor bike that runs on 12 with same size charging unit and just fit that. I think on the old brit bikes to change from 6v to 12v you just twisted 2 of the 3 wires together and change coils bulbs and other bits and bob's and that was it could be still as simple if your lucky.

Update Reply
JP @ 20/11/2013 03:19  

Quite possibly the DR 400 will fit, that was the next model I believe, might be worth looking in to.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/11/2013 15:35  

I spose you have checked its got 6v bulbs

I know it sounds stupid but it's very common to find 12v bulbs in 6 or 24v systems as 12v bulbs are easer to source.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/11/2013 10:35  

Havent got any lights on it at all yet Stuie, was looking into the possibility of switching before sourcing original lights, availability of 12v certainly would be easier to get bulbs for. If it is an easy fix then I will go for a 12v system, I am assuming that I can adapt something off a DR model, it looks as if parts can be got hold of easy enough.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/11/2013 10:15  

Personaly id see what the stock electrics are like.

Mind you id imagine its just all the bulbs regulator, battery, and maybe coil (cdi?) . Would have thought the starter would handle 12v but then i guess its a part number cross referancing exercise see what else you sparks are fitted to.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/11/2013 11:48  

It's kick start only, and that thought had occurred to me as welll, change the coil, stator, cdi and reg/rec. If its aneasy and inexpensive exercise then I will go down that route instead of the old 6v system.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/11/2013 12:32  

Hey Doublesix. I found this guy because I wanted to change the 6v electrics on my 3HW to 12v. He recommended trying LED bulbs that should fit immediately. He is really informative, maybe give him a try?
http://www.aoservices.co.uk/index.htm

Update Reply
Mattyp @ 27/11/2013 09:20  

Thanks mattywill look him up and see what can be done.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/11/2013 18:48  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email