MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Melted Plastic

Melted Plastic - Forums [Biker Match] Melted Plastic - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Melted Plastic

HELP....my shiny exhaust on my XVS650 has got a big blob of plastic melted on it. How can I get it off without scratching the chrome to bits

Update Reply
Oldguysrule @ 05/11/2013 19:33  

Hi there ogr... due to the odd occasion to have had a girlie passenger not wearing sensible boots/shoes I have used an old penny to gently scrape off the plastic as it is softer than the chrome surface then a quick polish...dont use a newish copper coin as they have a high nickle iron content....easiest way to check the penny is with a magnet if it sticks dont use it.....hope this helps.......

Update Reply
nellie @ 06/11/2013 13:57  

How about copper pipe cut in half well polished edge and use as a scraper ?

Update Reply
JP @ 07/11/2013 18:27  

Depending on how big the blob of plastic is I've used the following method As I've had to remove the melted remains of a ladies boot heel from a silencer before Heating up the plastic with a heat gun or hair drier & slicing off as much as possible, is a good start For the residue, wait till it's hardened again, then adopt the suggestions above A fine "suede" or brass wire brush (softer than the chrome) will get the last bits off I find it's best to do this when the exhaust is hot * Final polish with Solvol or chrome cleaner of your choice & job done * Chrome is a very hard but quite porous metal. Minute particles of plastic will be embedded into the surface. Getting the silencer hot will expand the surface and mke it easier to dislodge any remaining deposits

Update Reply
Emzed @ 08/11/2013 15:50  

I 've had the same problem with my dragstar. used the same method as emzed. but I don't use the solvol in a tube as it scratches the chrome.

Solvol do a liquid chrome cleaner in a tin. you have to work harder to get the last few spots of plastic off but the result is better.

As for the hole in my waterproofs best cure I found was the bin. Then fitted a heatguard to the exhaust.

Update Reply
Vladamir @ 16/11/2013 16:14  

Some great advice there.. Thanks guys!

Ziggy seems to have more of my textiles on his exhaust than I have on my leg

I'll definitely be trying this!

I don't suppose anyone knows how to repair molten holes in textiles do they?

Update Reply
Karey @ 16/11/2013 16:58  

Duct tape is great for repairing them and its waterproof-ish

Update Reply
JP @ 16/11/2013 17:16  

Ahhh John... as you know Duct/Gaffa tape is my bestest friend.. seeing as Ziggy is held together with it.. I may as well colour co-ordinate my textiles too

Cheers hun

Update Reply
Karey @ 16/11/2013 17:20  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email