MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Battery time of year again

Battery time of year again - Forums [Biker Match] Battery time of year again - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Battery time of year again

A text from a friend reminded me of something I've been meaning to do Here is a re-post of a topic I raised last year This is the time of year when we are much more likely to hear the dreaded "groan" from the starter or hollow "click" at the solenoid (unless you are lucky enough to have a kickstart ) The following product I CAN personally recommend to releive those symptoms I have used one now for two winters and where I live we get several degrees of frost regularly, even in summer months These batteries,even when poorly attended to, will crank even the most reluctant engine into life, if there any suggestion of life in it They recover from deep discharge much faster too GEL type batteries are not only an investment towards peace of mind, they can also be installed in a variety of positions without fear of acid spillage and are maintenance free Treat your bike to a Christmas present she/he will thank you for, for years to come http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150948985312?ssPageName=STRK:...3019wt_721 This is just a link to an example of the type You may find one cheaper elsewhere I'm not promoting this particular supplier, just the type of battery Oh, and they are "Quadflex" which means they can be fitted either way round And they usually come with a selection of re-sizing extensions to suit "most" battery compartments But the majority are an exact OEM replacement size Here's a link to the original topic http://www.bikermatch.co.uk/sites/bm/forum/posts.asp?to...c_id=11213

Update Reply
Emzed @ 04/11/2013 20:13  

good advice, well done for re posting it.

Update Reply
rossoandy21 @ 08/12/2013 10:36  

my battery just (3rd Nov, £44) been replaced after a little over 3 years service which is about all we can expect from a lead acid liquid one, though many do last longer.

wish I had spotted this earlier......good call Emzed

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/12/2013 15:45  

nice to have the information and I now know where to look when my current good battery starts to get iffy

thanks for the post

Update Reply
simple1 @ 08/12/2013 16:35  

Thanks guys Nice to know my post wasn't in vain A real shame Android934 What a difference a day makes

Update Reply
Emzed @ 08/12/2013 17:00  

I'm thinking back to how it was given me....(Halfrauds) and my new battery has no breather and took 20 minutes to fill from the acid bottles so maybe I have got one of those glass mat thingys.

I am sure its not possible/permitted to send a charged battery through the post as the ebay one would be.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/12/2013 17:23  

It sounds to me like what you have is a "sealed lead acid" type, Android Most new batteries are what is known as "dry charged", because they do generate a residual charge, just from the electrolytic action of adding the electrolyte But it is almost always recommended to give them a full 24 hrs trickle charge before use My batteries were delivered by courier I have had traditional lead acid batteries arrive by "post" but they came with the electrolyte in a separate bottle They needed a full charge too, although when filled they did have enough charge to to blow the horn & turn the engine over

Update Reply
Emzed @ 09/12/2013 16:50  

battery playing up on Honda optimate 4 says its ok AA say itys knackered have ordered motobatt gel battery bike ok to start at moment but still iffytook your advice EMZ and now waiting for new one

Update Reply
Jaffa @ 29/12/2013 00:56  

Nice one Jaffa It's the way to go mate

Update Reply
Emzed @ 29/12/2013 03:34  

I have just bought a Odyssey battery for my 2007 BMW RT1200 having had a Exide wet acid battery that the bike came with. The new Odyssey battery turns the old twin over far quicker than the wet acid types around. I used to get 9-10 years out of a proper German Varta 30Ah wet battery charging it up once a fortnight with a lab power supply. Then ended up with a Made in China battery from Motobins in Spalding for my old K100RS. Next day the battery was dead and checked the specific gravity of all 6 cells. One cell was completely dead. Went back and exchanged the damaged Exide battery for another so called Exide battery and within three years that had another cell failing. The quality of the plates produced in China is nothing like the German Varta ones that BMW used to put in their bikes years ago.
But this USA produced dry battery is great having put it through some tests in my workshop. Will in future pay more for a better made battery. By the way got hold of the Odyssey battery on eBay from a Peterborough company that was cheaper than others on the internet.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/12/2013 16:43  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email