MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Sprocket Pitch

Sprocket Pitch - Forums [Biker Match] Sprocket Pitch - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Sprocket Pitch

Hi!

I would like to know the importance of pitch on the front sprocket.
I am soon looking to update my R6 with new chain and sprockets and it seems that the front has a pitch. Why is this and also does it matter?
I understand quantity of teeth and how it will effect the speed, either top end or acceleration, but the pitch, I guess is the angle of the teeth,,,, right?
Because of this, should I be looking for a chain and sprocket with the same pitch?

Thanks.
.ga. :-)

Update Reply
GaryR6 @ 24/06/2013 19:25  

the pitch is just a term for the amount of teeth on a sprocket

Update Reply
dougie @ 24/06/2013 19:56  

As far as I know ..............

The "pitch" is the distance "between" the teeth where they contact the drive chain

Each sprocket has what is known as a P C D ( Pitch Circle Diameter )

It is this PCD which determines the size of the chain rollers

Please feel free to correct me

We can all learn something new

Update Reply
Emzed @ 24/06/2013 20:06  

Yes Ga,:- The pitch Gary is the distance between each roller of chain and the sprockets are machined to suit a standard pitch being metric or imperial measurements `example:` 16mm or 5/8"of where the distance of chain roller seats in between the sprocket teeth. The front sprockets range are about 17 to 21 teeth is a normal ratio on most large engines. 1 tooth extra on a front sprocket has a higher ratio value.
Hope it helps or explains Gary as it would be nice to hear other peoples explanation. Cros

Update Reply
bingwing @ 24/06/2013 20:10  

Sounds great guys, thanks. I've been looking at a sprocket on Ebay has 16 teeth as is my standard but has a pitch of 530. Not sure whether to ensure the chain has the same compatible rollers as you suggest.
Maybe best to buy a chain sprocket set, right?

Update Reply
GaryR6 @ 24/06/2013 22:26  

It is not a good idea to mix and match on chains and sprockets from new and worn if you do not what to look for like: elongated seating in your drive sprocket and driven sprocket? usually caused by under lubricated chain.
Try:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-R6-2008-12-STANDARD-EQ...3cd21af429

I am enjoying this as much as you Gary??? LOL Hope you get sorted.

Update Reply
bingwing @ 25/06/2013 01:02  

Hello Gary,

Some good advice here, (some excellent, some not quite right) but don't let yourself get stressed about chain pitches and the like if you don't understand the meanings/terminology etc.

If you can afford it, buy a full set and try to keep to the standard front/rear tooth numbers for road use.
Altering your gearing could give you other minor but annoying issues (e.g. speedo mis-reading) depending on your bike make/model. Do you need gearing changes for track use?

Don't mix old and new either (you can do it - but definitely not recommended). If your set is a 530, then purchase 530 items (these would be 5/8" pitch by the way). Buying other sizes could give you different problems. The manufactures ensure that your gearing is satisfactory for everyday road use.

NHM

Update Reply
non-hotmale @ 25/06/2013 07:34  

Thanks non-hotmale... but unsure about the part of Speedo mis-reading.

speedo cables attach to the front wheel thus speed is measured from the rotation of this wheel. therefore speed reading would not be effected. The way in which the speedo reading would be incorrect would be if the wheel diameter was changed. right?

Running old withe new is not a good idea for most things especially, i agree, so I would buy new chain and replace both sprockets.
but,,,, this is my dilemma. If I do not buy the chain and sprocket in a set but wish to but say... Renthal Sprockets and say Triple-s chain, how do I know they are compatible?

Hope this is not getting to confusing guys? .ga. :-))

Update Reply
GaryR6 @ 25/06/2013 15:59  

Hi Gary, You are of course correct regarding speedo drive. No problem if your speedo is driven as you say, but some are driven electronically, therefore they do not use the input from the front wheel rotation, hence the 'for example only'. Sorry for confusion.

Re the matching, the 3 of the 530 means that the chain roller diameter is 3 x 1/8" (therefore 3/8" diameter).
Standard 530 items will have matching width/thickness sprockets also as these generally adhere to ISO manufacturing standards. If in doubt, the good people at Renthal should help with technical advice of their product.

Hope this helps.

NHM

Update Reply
non-hotmale @ 25/06/2013 23:01  

The pitch of the sprocket is the distance from a point on one tooth to the corresponding point on an adjacent tooth. (the tip of one tooth to the tip of the next tooth). This has to perfectly match the distance between the rollers of your chain or you will chew the whole lot, and possibly your geabox shaft. Chains and sprockets must match for pitch, width and roller diameter or they won't last five minutes. A chain has huge forces running through it and one snapping it speed can wreck your gearbox and/or maybe your leg. Buying a chain sprocket set is the easiest way, or as advised speak to renthal, or a motorcycle spares shop for advice. NEVER NEVER mix old and new chain and sprockets, it false economy, and bloody dangerous, they will wear out unbelievably quickly and a chain jumping the sprocket and locking the back wheel, think motorway here is not a good experience.

Update Reply
xj @ 26/06/2013 08:43  

Thank you you guys for all your input...

Let Your boss know I said you can all have Friday off of work ok.

I ride to Loomies and Alton Cafe on Wednesday evenings Bury hill occasionally so may be meet some of you one day.

Take care. .ga.

Update Reply
GaryR6 @ 26/06/2013 13:38  

Hi Gary the 530 chain is wider and heavier than you need, its suitable for the bigger 1200 cc bikes with a few more horses to transmit.

your standard chain is a 520 ....1/4" wide and .625" pitch between the roller centres, and the standard sprockets you need will be made to support that chain best, go for an X ring as these last really well.

www.gearingcommander.com

is a helpfull site if you fancy a change of gearing and need to see what will happen, effects.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/06/2013 17:38  

Android934. Thanks for that..

Thank you also for the website!

Gary. :-))

Update Reply
GaryR6 @ 28/06/2013 15:49  

Dont use Triple S chain, its useless!!!
If you're unsure go to your local oldskool bike shop an they'll sort you out

Update Reply
suzook12 @ 27/08/2013 22:46  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email