MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Running in Issues

Running in Issues - Forums [Biker Match] Running in Issues - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Running in Issues

Hi folks, I have a new Hayabusa.
As soon as it was delivered (week ago) I ripped open the manual to se what I would be restricted to during the running in period.
As it happens its 5000 revs until 1st service at 600 miles.
I have now done 450 of those 600 miles.
I looked at the handbook again today and I was a bit bemused when I read that I should avoid 'overloading' the engine.
What does this mean? I have not been over 5000 revs, but I have 'whacked it open' to get there!
Is it going to be a dog now???? lol.

Please advise x

Update Reply
Tina_Hantz @ 19/06/2013 18:41  

Wouldn't know about bikes as never had a new one.Had loads of company cars when I was a parts manager at a Fiat dealers,mainly Puntos-used to drive them like someone who got their petrol paid for,they were always faster for being thrashed from new-got 140 (according to speedo) out of a 2000 mile old Punto GT!
Don't know what it did for longevity as got a new one every two months.....

Update Reply
Sprint900 @ 19/06/2013 19:35  

Loading or overloading an engine is when you make it work hard going uphill in too higer gear or trying to pull away in 3rd gear hope this helps jp

Update Reply
JP @ 19/06/2013 20:47  

thanks!

Update Reply
Tina_Hantz @ 19/06/2013 23:23  

Mefinks overloading a 'busa engine will take some doing

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 20/06/2013 19:32  

You'll do more harm riding at constant speeds than anything else.... Those motors have forged pistons, you aint gonna hurt em, but the ringsneed a little bit of lookin after. Get a first service an get some decent oil in it an thrash the hell out of it :)

Update Reply
suzook12 @ 13/08/2013 22:16  

As suzook says,holding at constant revs should be avoided,vary the engine speed,it lets the rings and cylinder liner bed in properly.

Update Reply
fxr swas @ 21/08/2013 10:20  

Keep everything you do on a bike sweet simple and well planned. Use the engine flexibly and be in the right gear always don't ride in 6 at 30 MPH like car driver use the right gear and keep the engine happy.

Update Reply
MTS1200 @ 24/08/2013 07:30  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email