MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Changing Brake and clutch cables on Road King

Changing Brake and clutch cables on Road King - Forums [Biker Match] Changing Brake and clutch cables on Road King - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Changing Brake and clutch cables on Road King

Hi all
can anybody give me some information on how long it would take to replace plastic coated cables for braided. I want to put braided cables on my 2000 RKC but the local Harley dealer wants nearly £600 to supply and fit. Is it an easy job?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/06/2013 11:33  

Easy enough ,take your time,if you aint too sure swop 1 throttle cable at a time,look where they run and mind the wee brass cable nipples dont drop on the floor off the old cable when removing from the throttle grip,you wont find them for about 2 weeks,clutch will need the side trans cover taken off and the adjuster mid cable slackened off,you will see how the ramp works in the cover,mind tho the oil may have to be drained or...cos obviously you will lose oil when the cover comes off....just have a bowl under the gearbox .. refill afterwards and readjust clutch and cable adjuster. Brake hose,no problem,bleed the fluid unbolt the old hose fit new with new washer fill cylinder with fresh fluid,dont let the master cylinder run low of fluid when bleeding,good to change fluid every couple yrs anyway,bleed system.Take your time get one of the one way bleed systems cos its a pain in the ass bleeding brakes,pump lever....open nipple....etc etc etc.Try it you'll enjoy and that'll give bit confidence to try things yourself,Stealerships are well named...sorry...Dealerships. Workshop manual to give you the adjustments is a must.Harley one or use the net,nightrider.com is a good site better with a manual tho.

Update Reply
fxr swas @ 10/07/2013 22:51  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email