MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Re-lacing an old bike's rear wheel

Re-lacing an old bike's rear wheel - Forums [Biker Match] Re-lacing an old bike's rear wheel - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Re-lacing an old bike's rear wheel

Hi I wondered whether any of the Scottish BM'ers out there knew of any reputable motorbike wheel re-builders in Aberdeenshire. After close inspection of my rear wheel, I don't think that an MOT inspector would be happy with it. Most of the spokes are rusty and corroded, and several make a dull 'thunk', rather than the 'ping' that that they used to make when tapped. The only things that Mr Google has come up with have been Alf Hagon (waaay down in England, and outta the question!) or some guy in Leven (possible, but would prefer somewhere nearer) Cheers....ride safe

DM ;)

Update Reply
Dingus Magee @ 11/06/2013 19:03  

Try 'Re-spoke and Be-spoke' in Leven, Fife. They may be able to help.

NHM

Update Reply
non-hotmale @ 28/06/2013 06:41  

After doing a fairly wide search on the net it looks like Leven is your best bet DM I found spoke wheel repairers in Nottingham, Middlesex, America and Australia but none in Scotland never mind just Aberdeenshire. The only alternatives I can think of is repair it yourself or get hold of another wheel and bung that on. I expect you already thought of that. http://www.dansmc.com/spokewheels.htm

Update Reply
Sandi @ 28/06/2013 08:54  

Thanks Sandi I appreciate your efforts...the wheel is going off to Barry Brown at Leven this week, and MyHermes, the courier firm, will take it down there for the very modest sum of £7.50. Barry's work comes highly recommended, and he doesn't cost the earth...whoohoo! He reckoned that it would cost about £160, including getting the hub blasted. He can do a wheel in about two days, or less if you're screaming for it, but obviously the blasting is done by another firm, so...might take a week.

Ride safe

DM ;)

Update Reply
Dingus Magee @ 01/07/2013 12:53  

...and, thanks for the link! Very interesting...I've replaced spokes and trued the wheel of my mountain bike before, but never on the mo'bike...and never relaced a wheel...yet :P

Update Reply
Dingus Magee @ 01/07/2013 12:56  

Not hard to do yaself....just keep off the tinnies whilst u lacing iit up!
Just takes a bit of time and patience really.
Perhaps do one at a time?

Update Reply
rossoandy21 @ 06/07/2013 23:02  

You're very welcome DM, I'm glad you're getting it sorted

Update Reply
Sandi @ 07/07/2013 22:31  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email