MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Are you in favour of all the gear.....?

Are you in favour of all the gear.....? - Forums [Biker Match] Are you in favour of all the gear.....? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Are you in favour of all the gear.....?

Hi fellow riders thought this web site was worth a boost.......
Some beautiful people who regret a decision to ride without protective gear

http://www.rockthegear.org/

pass it on to the youngsters stick on your facebook page etc.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 14/05/2013 04:36  

Try this your link didnt work Android http://www.rockthegear.org/index.php?/videos/view/how_t...self_alive Good vid which shows the aftermath, Shame very pretty girl. I always try and have a chat when I see kids on scooters without gloves,I Never give a lecture on jacket trousers etc because they switch off. Unfortunatley you cant educate pork !!! Good find should be shown in schools.

Update Reply
joebar @ 14/05/2013 07:23  

Total respect for that lass for still riding after all that.

Update Reply
centurion @ 14/05/2013 09:20  

Professional motorcycle clothing abrasion test.
18 MPH for 2.5 seconds.

impact protection . roughly , the weight of a house brick , falling 2 meters.

Most motorcycle clothing , is classed as 'leisure wear'
The 'CE' mark for the [laughable] impact protection. Is purely for the protector and not the suit.

Manufacturers use these 'CE' marked items to give the impression that the whole garment is 'CE' approved,

Clothing Industry sponsored web sites , like the one above, are just a marketing exercise designed to get you to part with your cash.
If you slide 522' in your leisurewear motorcycle clothing and end up with slightly less 'road-rash'.
Are you really gonner be pleased?

Will you believe you survived because of your £600 biker leisurewear.

There are European standards for PROFESSIONAL motorcycle clothing
.EN13595.
If you do not get a En13595 certificate issued with your £1000 ''race suit'' then you are buying 'leisurewear'

I'm not anti mc clothing. I wear it all the time[except when I don't].
I just don't like the idea of manufacturers deliberately misleading people for profit.

This girl survived a 120MPH crash without any expensive mc clothing.
She does not state exactly what she was wearing, but I doubt it was a T shirt.
Probably a jacket and jeans and shoes [trainers]
She doesn't show us any leg or foot injuries .
It certainly looks as though her jacket 'rode up',or unfastened, allowing her back to be scraped.
One shoulder, possibly the initial impact, and the heel of one hand.
We'll never know how she would have fared if her jacket had not opened. Nor do we know if she would have looked any different if she had been wearing mc clothing.
dusty x

Update Reply
dustin666 @ 14/05/2013 13:32  

Anything is better than nothing, trouble is everyone knows that you are immortal at 16. Its only when you get older and have had a few "Oh sh1t this is going to hurt moments" And survived that you get an enhanced sense of your own mortality. Besides you cant tell teenagers anything because they already know everything

Update Reply
joebar @ 14/05/2013 21:49  

EN13595 is part of the whole CE apparatus, but Dusty's right, if a garment says it's got CE armour but doesn't have a label stitched into it saying EN13595 then it's just the armour that's certified and not the whole garment.
Most top-of-the-range stuff from the big manufacturers probably does have EN13595 certification, but the operative words are 'most' and 'probably' and it's up the the buyer to check.
Compared with the gear most of us were riding around in 20-odd years ago, even the 'leisurewear' with armour is a vast improvement on 1990-vintage kit. Probably good enough to protect you from a 40-mph urban slide - but a 120-mph off is another matter.

Update Reply
Wills @ 14/05/2013 22:00  

BTW - PPE and Regs are highlighted in the Bikers First Aid Course ! (Another quick plug !!)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 14/05/2013 23:04  

Just to address Wills' comments.''most and probably does have EN13595 certification.
NO I think not.
If the garment was certified as passing the 'abrasion test' or the 'impact test'.then this would be an advertiser's dream. It would be proclaimed in huge capital letters.
Legally your 'black nylon bag' or your £1000 ''race suit''. Offers the same protection in the eyes of the law as a rather colorful 'kiddies' romper suit.

Dusty x

More protection than riding naked and similar to a good fitting denim jacket and jeans.

Remember. the abrasion test that your clothing will notwill not pass is 18MPH for 2.5 seconds = A lot slower than a cyclist , and they just wear shorts.

Update Reply
dustin666 @ 15/05/2013 13:04  

Well, I never and never have done... get on a bike without my leathers... nothing to do with me obviously looking good in it pmsl.. but I think I would feel naked and inseure without it.... but that's just me....

Update Reply
TheSlasher @ 16/05/2013 19:31  

That's the point Lynn , you're almost as naked and insecure with all the gear on as without it.
The truth is , no matter how safe we feel , 'all geared up'. In any accident our 'leisure wear ' only has a slight contribution to our safety.
It's far safer to ''feel naked'' when we're out biking than to feel invulnerable in our ''armour''.

Dusty x

Update Reply
dustin666 @ 16/05/2013 20:46  

but then 120 mph is just stupid anyone doing those speeds should be banned for life unles on a track,we have limits for a reason safety....there is a difference between standerd road gear and high speed track gear........

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/05/2013 12:55  

all the time as it looks the dogs bollocks and I believe it does give much better protection , id rather come off wearing my race suit and boots instead of standard jeans what will burn to your skin and trainers what will prob snap your ankle into bits , im pretty sure the moto gp riders don't fancy coming off at 150 mph in standard clothing there wearing the gear and always just get back up and dust themselves off as the protection takes all the force.

but I don't believe there is much difference between a 400 pound race suit and a thousand pound race suit.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/05/2013 16:49  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email