MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

New Tyres..

New Tyres.. - Forums [Biker Match] New Tyres.. - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

New Tyres..

Hey gang...been running my GS on Tourance for the 5 1/2 years i've had her...got to the stage where both tyres need replacing together and am looking to possibly change manufacturer... Is there anyone who's ran on Tourance but now use a different set of rubbers with equal/better handling & performance.??..

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/04/2013 11:26  

I tried a few when I had my GS but kept coming back to tourances, they seemed to offer the best mix of mileage (6K back, 8-10K front) and stickyness.
That was a few years back though and the tyre game has moved on a bit in the last 4 years.
I found Roadsmarts worked well on the TDM but like all road tyres they have a shallower tread pattern compared with dual sport tyres and only lasted about 3k and 5K.
If you only do a couple of K a year that won't matter, but since when have GS's done tiny miles like that?

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 05/04/2013 19:29  

exactly...had 16600 miles when i bought her in July 2007...got 59000 on the clock now....and thats just being social...lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/04/2013 23:00  

Never had a gs or run on those tyres but good tyres for the work bike (BMW r1200) are the Michelin pilot roads. I got about 13/14k out of a set and I've found them to stick like *coughs* if u catch me drift. :D

On the pan I was running Bridgestones, BT020s. I know they've moved on now to 02blahs blahs, but they got me between 12/15k a pair.

Sorry cant compare with Tourance but there's me pennies worth. :)

Update Reply
MjN @ 06/04/2013 07:46  

cheers MjN...they sound good ..will look into them...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/04/2013 09:29  

have got bridgestone bt023's on the div. Only had it 4 weeks, 3k miles but wet or dry they stick like sticky stuff. Can't say for longevity yet though.

Update Reply
xj @ 06/04/2013 13:16  

oh gawd! someones asked about tyre choice! lol expect 500 different answers.

so heres mine - I like avons been using them now for 2 years done 12k last year on a front (and a bit) and 2 rears.

I used to only EVER use bridgestones but find theyre a bit crap in the wet (maybe they changed in the last 2 years)

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 06/04/2013 18:35  

Ah yes, the great tyre debate that spreads from one bike forum to the next! Only thing that will ever settle it is pistols at dawn, ten paces

Update Reply
Wills @ 06/04/2013 20:13  

Or a track/road of your choice lol

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 06/04/2013 22:55  

Thanks for the imput folks...but as the very nice officer pointed out yesterday..my rear tyre "looks" well under the legal limit......so ordered a set of Tourances now i haven't got the time to ponder...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/04/2013 10:43  

I have Conti Road Attack on the FJR & Conti Trail Attack on the Triumph ride 2up most of the time & both are brill tyres

Update Reply
Noddy1 @ 09/04/2013 09:00  

Pilot 3's

They are pricey (£250) but I've ridden in everything the weather can throw at them and fantastic for trails bikes on the road. I got well over 9k on a set but was from constant hard use and very long touring trips fully loaded.

Next Tuesday my Tenere will have a nice new set of p3's in time for me taking the BM troops to Germany....i feel sorry for my foot pegs

How ever

I have run the bike over winter with Tourance tyres also and think be a good choice for you to stick with for normal biking. I plan on changing to them at end of year for cheap winter tyres (£180ish a set) and use P3's over summer.

But then again I buy 3 sets a year

Update Reply
madscots @ 11/04/2013 18:09  

Cheers Madscots...i ride all year round too..mostly just 1-2 hour blasts around the countryside with the odd rally inbetween...so far i'm getting @ 8k out of a rear and 12K out of a front .... New tyres on saturday...just enough time to scrub them up properly before the Tententreffen rally in Belgium in a months time...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 11/04/2013 20:31  

The tourance are great tyres and priced spot on for our type of bikes.

But like the others all down to your own choice

Update Reply
madscots @ 11/04/2013 22:54  

Nice to have a choice guys ...my rear is a 280 section and not many people manufacture them ...I am very pleased and used to the Metzeler now though

Update Reply
Intruder18 @ 13/04/2013 18:21  

I'm on my third GS. I've really only swapped away from Tourances when I've wanted to get off the tarmac more. I'm on Heidenaus now, ran TKC's and Karoos in the past, but don't reckon there's much to beat the Tourance if it's mostly tarmac your ridding

Update Reply
drillam @ 10/06/2013 19:24  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email