MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

plugs

plugs - Forums [Biker Match] plugs - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

plugs

so how long do we think life span on a set of iridium plugs?

10,000? 15,000? 25,000?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/03/2013 13:53  

I had one fail in my SR250 after 2000 miles And the place I bought it from refused to exchange it I put the old standard plug back in and the bike was away again What did that teach me Any plug can fail at anytime Whether it's "Iridium" or not

Update Reply
Emzed @ 26/03/2013 14:55  

I had an Iridium in my Peggy, and it crumbled when I took it out after about 3000 miles.....

Update Reply
TheSlasher @ 26/03/2013 16:44  

blimey that aint good are these ngk or some other make? i've just taken a set outta the pan which did'nt look to bad and they've done best part of 30,000

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/03/2013 18:39  

It was an NGK mate Bought through ebay from a place that ships from Jersey But I've heard nothing but good reports generally about Iridium's Which is why I decided to "treat" the SR to one Just my luck to get a dud

Update Reply
Emzed @ 26/03/2013 23:10  

I use them in all my vehicles, bikes and car

Update Reply
TheSlasher @ 27/03/2013 08:32  

Iridium are a waste of money......why are you running plugs til they fail anyway?? you should change them once a year as a matter of habit....regardless of mileage.

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 27/03/2013 11:01  

what do you base that statement on kwakgirl??

mine did'nt fail i just changed em after approx 30,000 and i would imagine i do far more mileage than most on here. any plug should last far longer than emzed 2000 or lynns 3000iridium or not

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/03/2013 21:43  

iridium plugs for my kwak £48 for 4....standard plugs £18 for 4 changed every year when i do my spring cleaning regardless of mileage but for the record 12k last year. (summer miles only!) thats what i base my statement on OB Im just curious what "lifespan" means if you dont run them til they fail? For me plug "lifespan" is a year....so should i pay £48 or £18?

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 28/03/2013 08:40  

i have to agree whith kwakgirl std plugs every year maintainance is about preventing a breakdown , not waiting untill it stops then fixing it .

Update Reply
christof @ 28/03/2013 20:29  

if thats all the miles you do kwakgirl it may well be ok for you, i do a lot more. but maybe you should try shopping around a bit i've just bought 4 iridium for pan inclusive
Subtotal:
£23.40 Postage & packaging:
£1.35
Total:£24.75

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 28/03/2013 20:52  

and for the BMW K75 ok there is only 3 in that one but a long way of £48 i paid recently for iridiums.

Subtotal:
£16.99 Postage & packaging:
£2.45
Total:£19.44

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 28/03/2013 21:03  

and i paid £25 delivered for 5 iridiums for the car delivered. ok so i'm tight i dont care. as far as i'm concerned it's bloody hard getting hold of money and cant see the point of peeing it up the wall

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 28/03/2013 21:05  

well im sure youre very fortunate OB to ride a bike with such cheap plugs....im sure I should rush out and buy one to save myself a few more quid :/

forgive me but I cant see the point youre trying to make....u asked me what my point was and I told you then you said well "my plugs are cheaper"??????? and then tried to rubbish the mileage per year I do! get over yourself!

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 28/03/2013 23:01  

lol ok kwakgirl, but maybe you oughta look closer to home methinks about getting over yourself,
why get so aggressive?
i simply asked what people thought about lifespan of iridium plugs and you rubbished them and yuou dont use em?
my bike does not take especially cheap plugs as far as i know
i daresay they are quite common ive no idea i aint looked.
i simply stated it pays to shop around when buying bits, bikes or i guess anything else for that matter

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 28/03/2013 23:15  

I was advised to change mine every 15000 mile oldbiker and i have x4 NGK Iridium fitted in my twin pot 1800 ..They cost me £26 delivered ..Very happy with them .. A bit of a pig to fit but got there after a little cursing .. I had 1 new one fail immediately on another bike ... Shit happens .I don't think there is anything cast in stone regarding any maintenance schedules Its all guidelines so some people have an idea of when it might be necessary to have a look as it where. I totally agree with you about shopping around for ALL bits as every penny counts these days but there is a point that cheap just doesn't cut the ice..and spark plugs is most definitely one of them... Oil is another In My opinion to change something that does not need changing is a complete waste of money and time.

Update Reply
Intruder18 @ 30/03/2013 11:32  

I'm entitled to an opinion OB u asked me to justify it....I did (well I thought I did) you replied by trying to suggest that I do small mileage per year (not quite sure wot ur implying by that if anything) and then u call ME agressive???? Don't ask for opinions if you really don't want to hear them. :/

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 01/04/2013 22:54  

Yawnzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/04/2013 23:54  

ah that owd chestnut!

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 01/04/2013 23:57  

ah that owd chestnut!

jesus. as below the original post

so how long do we think life span on a set of iridium plugs?

10,000? 15,000? 25,000?

your answer below yet as far as i can tell you dont even use them? apparently because you feel they are over priced yet anyone can buy them on the net for £20 odd hardly lottery money i'd say. cant see the connection between your budget and the original post of the life span of the said plugs. i personally have never had an iridium plug fail as far as i can remember.

as for you thinking i'm having some kind of a go at you for doing 12,000 miles odd a year which i think iirc is above the national average (i think?) i really do think you are the one that needs to get over yourself. as yet nobody else as far as i can tell has any problem with this thread kwakgirl except you??

Iridium are a waste of money......why are you running plugs til they fail anyway?? you should change them once a year as a matter of habit....regardless of mileage.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/04/2013 00:24  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email