MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Realrider App

Realrider App - Forums [Biker Match] Realrider App - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Realrider App

Came across this at the motorcycle show.....the app which is due to be released soon tracks you using your android phone and using gyro compass tech knows if you crash due to tumble movement and then sudden stop and notifies an ambulance call centre who try to contact you and if no reply will despatch an ambulance to your exact location.... It's a one off £4.99 payment or free before release..... This is from their literature... REALRIDER® provides bikers with a tailored web-based platform and app. The platform is entirely user-driven and utilises mobile and location-based functionality to enhance a biker’s daily experience, including activities such as weekend riding, finding a route to work or identifying a repair company REALRIDER® provides huge safety benefits for the community and intelligence for highway engineers. According to BMW Motorrad: "The safety features such as the ‘REALsafe®’ Geo Location Tracker and Real Time Road Safety Update Feeds are industry first safety tools and are something which would make a significant difference to the well being of UK motorcyclists". If this works like they plan it will be a huge safety addition to riders and will save lives

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 12/03/2013 03:05  

Sounds like a great system as you say but the only thing I have a concern with is that it tracks you how much info do thay collect from it and who do thay sell it to ?

Update Reply
JP @ 12/03/2013 10:13  

No speed is recorded it has been developed by riders for safety not so the cops can use it. The benefit also is if you report dangers on the road it is then pushed to the clerk of works for that area so should speed up repair process and also warn other bikers of the dangers.....it is not a money maker....£4.99 one off fee...or free before roll out for beta testing...... The cost is absorbed by others..... If it takes off I think it will be cracking for safety also think on this if a hazard has been reported and you have an off you have evidence for a claim against the local authority...if you off and are laying injured in a ditch bike of the road at least someone will come help you...rather than wait until maybe someone comes along and maybe finds you! If anyone joins let me know I will look you up

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 12/03/2013 11:35  

A voluntary big brother experience. Or am i far too cynical? If it tracks your position it will also track the rate of change of position, aka speed. In theory it's good, but i'm not too sure the data won't be used against you in the event of an accident.

Update Reply
xj @ 12/03/2013 12:18  

Yes you are being cynical......it can't be used against you I checked.... It's a good thing guys...FFS it's better than anything else out there....

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 12/03/2013 18:58  

Sorry to be so negative,but who has paid for it's development? Who pays it's administration costs, advertising, hosting etc. £4.99 is nothing. Yes it is a brilliant idea and will save lives, but if it looks too good to be true.....

Update Reply
xj @ 12/03/2013 19:50  

It is backed by trade, have a look at the web site.... Places to stay, it helps authorities....etc it comes from a good place by all accounts....

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 12/03/2013 23:23  

I've loaded it on my iPhone, will see how it runs.

The premium (£4.99) version is for the automated emergency calling option included.

Well I will once this damned snow stops!!

I'm assuming that they will also pass your details onto specially "selected" Sellers for Insurance etc as they want all of your ride details...

Update Reply
Harley_Rider @ 17/03/2013 11:46  

Well if your going down the cynical route if you have a good phone on contract or sat nav thay can track you now so don't see the point in worrying. if you bin it late at night it could be the difference in going to the hospital or going to the undertakers.

Update Reply
JP @ 17/03/2013 12:44  

Article about this in The Times motoring section today. Sounds good

The real rider app has been developed for bikers who have the misfortune to crash. It alerts emergency services and pinpoints location using GPS tracking. It uses smartphone GPS plus motion and tilt sensors to determine when a crash has occured. It has been adopted by North East Ambulance Service.

John Rowland of NEAS states it is a brilliant service, potentially saving bikers lives and getting medical attention to people faster.

There is a free version of the app which doesn't feature the route and safety technology.

Premium app includes route tracking and the safety feature costs a one off lifetime fee of £4.99

Realrider also delivers, via pc, tablet or smartphone app, three other functions. Realsocial connects riders, racers and friends and enthusiasts; Realroutes enables you to map, record, share and compare rides in real time; and Realbenefits provides discounts on biking products.

More details at realrider.com

Update Reply
rowanblossom @ 17/03/2013 20:28  

i have no issue with the app, it's a good idea and if it only saves one life then it's worth it's development. my reservation comes from how cheap it is, and it's running costs and that i would expect somebody to want to make a profit from it. even if it is only selling mailing lists.
my mobile. my credit card, my debit card, my store loyalty card, my registration number (on anpr cameras)will all track my location so i am not wary from that point of view, 1984 has been and gone and is still with us in many ways.

Update Reply
xj @ 17/03/2013 23:10  

I spoke to the development people at the Scottish motorcycle show. They never wanted the cost to be taken from the rider.

Instead they use payment from sponsors and from local government as any dangers pot holes damage to roads is reported to local authority. It is a one of payment as they know that bikers don't want heavy payments and wont subscribe to it.

There is no catch to it, it just does what it says on the tin...you do need a android mobile and it does use data if when you activate the ride app for emergency services so it would be beneficial to have a large data allocation on your phone I have 1GB a month and the data packets it sends are minimal...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 18/03/2013 18:04  

You lost me now you gone all tecki

Update Reply
JP @ 18/03/2013 19:22  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email