MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Shaft drive

Shaft drive - Forums [Biker Match] Shaft drive - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Shaft drive

I have a fancy for a shaft drive bike for winter use and touring however, they all seem to be real heavy lumps and I'm not sure that I could manoevre one backwards and forwards if I needed to. At the moment friends seem to be dissuading from the notion saying that a good chain should last me 20000 miles. I'd be interested to know what the lightest shaft drive bike is out there (the lightest I've come across is, a bit disappointingly, the new BM W GS which is 238Kg fully fuelled). I don't want to buy new. I'd welcome any thoughts on this matter.

Update Reply
Suzi5551 @ 17/02/2013 15:36  

Virago 535 or Honda NTV spring to mind, both getting on a bit. Current it will be the 750 Guzzi's.
Look at your current taste in bikes none of these would be your thing.
Chain and sprox last me about 30K, bike has a Scotoiler which makes all the difference.
Only shaftie I've had was mt GS1150. Great fun (and reliable which will be news to the 1200 club) but shafts do sap more power than a chain so you need a big torque engine to start with.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 17/02/2013 16:43  

Thanks Steve, got to admit a Virago is definitely not my thing and not sure about the Honda either. I used to ride a 650 Katana which was about the only engine that didn't suffer from the energy sap that you talk about. I clearly need to think about this a lot more. x

Update Reply
Suzi5551 @ 17/02/2013 16:48  

Try looking at a restored small block Guzzi, relatively light,easy to manage and will appreciate if looked after.. The new version is of course the V7 range,nice classy little bike..

Update Reply
rossoandy21 @ 17/02/2013 21:39  

Sounds interesting Rossoandy. What model do you mean? Pardon my ignorance, I'm not very well versed on Guzzis. I was quite taken with the Guzzi 1200 sport but a Guzzi loving friend of mine seems to think that it might be a bit cumbersome for me to manoever backwards and forwards in car parks.

Update Reply
Suzi5551 @ 18/02/2013 14:59  

yamaha diversion. Getting a bit old but loads of low mileage good examples around. Reliable, enjoyable and fun. Personaly i prefer the older f model, but do not let rossoandy persuade you onto a guzzi. He is like a jehova's witness trying to convert everyone to the dubious joys of italian engineering.

Update Reply
xj @ 18/02/2013 18:08  

Lol, thanks XJ, I'll check it out.

Update Reply
Suzi5551 @ 18/02/2013 19:40  

I have a 900 diversion. It doesnt seem to matter how much abuse I give it, it is totally reliable but it is quite heavy in town riding. I agree with xj the older 900 f is a better bike if you can find a decent one

Update Reply
petewick @ 18/02/2013 20:09  

If you can find an old Yam XJ650 that would tick most of the boxes, but good 'uns are hard to come by.

Update Reply
Wills @ 18/02/2013 23:19  

Absolutely Wills. The XJ650 was the best bike I have ever had, by far. 115000 miles it had done when I sold it and it still redlined in top gear. IF you can find one you won't be disappointed

Update Reply
petewick @ 19/02/2013 12:52  

Only downside of an XJ650 for me was that the exhaust studs were 6mm and would sheer off as soon as look at you. Trouble was the previous owner had put a four into one exhaust on it which fouled the oil filter and needed to come off for every oil change. Not funny
Later XJs had 8mm studs, a lot more sensible.

Update Reply
Wills @ 19/02/2013 17:09  

me i run an old suzuki vx 800 which is a v twin shafty no mater what abuse i give it never misses a beat.... i use it for rallies and such like and handles very well when loaded with camping gear...
also the seat height is is good for people like me with stumpy legs lol
good little bike with cruiser thump but with road bike handling.....
got piccy of it in profile have a look ........

Update Reply
nellie @ 20/02/2013 06:25  

Oh dear I seem to have ridden all of these with the exception of the Guzzi. You may find the Diversion top heavy and difficult to manage I did and mine had a nasty habit of cutting out in sub zero temps at the worst possible moment ..650 kat is a favourite of mine and if you can take the style the jap cruisers are an option as although heavy they carry the weight low and are easy to manoeuvre at low speed like an old BM boxer but they are vague at the front if you push them, as an off the wall choice big scoots are excellent winter hacks good fairing comfy loads of luggage space but have "interesting" handling...have fun

Update Reply
Coldharbourkat @ 21/02/2013 00:34  

intetesting comments about the diversion, i was thinking about one for a change but may stick with the older f model. I know they are good.

Update Reply
xj @ 21/02/2013 09:02  

Jehovas Witness !!! rofl, I'll be on ya doorstep wiv me copy of Guzzioligy to quote at ya XJ !!

Update Reply
rossoandy21 @ 21/02/2013 22:30  

noo sense of adventure u lot....

Update Reply
rossoandy21 @ 21/02/2013 22:31  

Don't you mean on my doorstep with agricultural machinery monthly. Actualy maybe i should shut up i was in that wierdo guzzi mag.

Update Reply
xj @ 22/02/2013 19:58  

I heard you was the centre spread, sitting on a V7 wearing just your y-fronts and bike boots, blowing a kiss at the camera man.

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 22/02/2013 20:33  

the y fronts were photoshopped in.

Update Reply
xj @ 22/02/2013 23:57  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email