MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Fair weather rider?? :/

Fair weather rider?? :/ - Forums [Biker Match] Fair weather rider?? :/ - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Fair weather rider?? :/

I guess we've all said I to someone "ahh you fair weather rider you!!" But is there a point when actually you should stop worrying about the fair weather label and think sod it, I'm more important?

See, I get snow and ice - they be slippy and obviously more of a hinderance! - but I hate, and I mean really hate, strong winds. :(

I was very tempted to leave the bike at home today but with it being my job to ride I do put more pressure on myself to ride in all weathers. Is this a bad thing?! :/

Update Reply
MjN @ 04/02/2013 12:24  

I ride for fun, and all though i have a full set of water proofs, I generally go out when it's dry, but i keep them in the box on the back of my bike, so if i do get caught out in the rain, then i can just put them on. They do work, i came back from North Yorkshire in the most foul weather you could imagine and i was dry when i got back. I went out today for a ride doing local errands and it was bloody windy but that din't put me off. I wont go out in snow/ice at all though, and my other GOLDEN rule is no alcohol when i'm riding, just coffee, tea, soft drinks.

Update Reply
VFR800AJ @ 04/02/2013 12:58  

I think riding in all weather conditions improves your skills as a rider. In an ideal world the sun would always be shining ,the roads would be dry ,you wouldn't need ten layers of thermals or waterproof gear and there would be no wind (hate strong wind with a passion). Its just not that kind of climate . For a great deal of the year ,the weather is shit ,so if you really have to ride ,or want to ride because you love it (as I do), you just have to put up with it ,but if you have doubts about it being safe to ride, ie 'strong winds' etc then its just common sense to consider not taking the bike out and nothing to do with being a 'fair weather rider'

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/02/2013 13:14  

Each to his own.

Update Reply
vinnie @ 04/02/2013 13:58  

You can adjust your riding to take wet roads snow or ice but you can never predict that gust of strong wind that could put you under a truck if your not happy with what ever the wether is at the time don't do it you may not live to regret it . I rode to work in the ice and snow this winter and part of my route to work is the Aston expressway which is an elevated motorway only about half a mile but if its very windy I take a different route. This is not about being a fair wether rider its about using your head

Update Reply
JP @ 04/02/2013 14:00  

Surely the whole point of riding a bike is because you enjoy it not because of what others may say to you/about you.

If it suits you to ride in all weathers then so be it, if it doesn’t then so be it.

Nobody should ever be pressured into riding if they are not comfortable to do so, just because you may be called a ‘fair weather’ rider. As JP said above, go with your own mind not what you think others would do ?

Marty McFly and Back to the Future me thinks lol

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 04/02/2013 14:57  

when riding, as with every other aspect of your life you should only ever do what you are comfortable with.
Personally i ride all year, but i'm an idiot, so that doesn't make it right for everyone.

Update Reply
xj @ 04/02/2013 15:24  

I ride my bike in all weathers except strong winds....

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/02/2013 15:49  

As most have already said, it's about riding in your "comfort zone" I have almost always ridden in all weathers Mainly due to the fact that I've seldom had the option of an alternative means of transport But I rode a sidecar outfit for many of those years so the potential problems with wind, snow and ice were never as bad as they have been on a solo Riding in strong winds takes a certain amount of skill, courage and a LOT of luck As JP says its all too easy to be blown off course by a sudden gust which can send you careering onto the other carriageway or into the kerb If you don't feel comfortable riding in "any" adverse conditions, don't do it Not only will you not enjoy your ride, your safety awareness will be considerably reduced, due to the distraction caused by the conditions, thereby increasing your exposure to other dangers Those of us lucky enough to have survived the perils of "all weather riding" may occasionally make comments about "fair weather" riders in jest but I would never advocate it as a prerequisite to being a good rider Whatever and whenever you ride, is purely "personal choice" and should never be influenced by someone else's idea of what makes a proper rider Just ride when YOU want to

Update Reply
Emzed @ 04/02/2013 15:54  

Amen to that Emz

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/02/2013 16:01  

As a newby, I don't push my limits. My experience or confidence does not cover snow, ice and very strong winds. Don't particularly have a problem if someone calls that fairweather riding. Their issue/prejudice to deal with not mine. rather ride in my comfort zone and come out the other side right side up than not. Already had one fall due to a combination of crap roads, wet weather, leaves covering holes and my lack of experience. Don't want another one cos i've pushed passed my limits. My instructor was very clear.. if you don't feel in control then you are not in control. To me that means if you don't feel you can handle the bike/ride safely because of the weather then play safe and stay safe. RB

Update Reply
rowanblossom @ 04/02/2013 16:48  

Been persuaded....gotta stop worrying what people think....:)

Update Reply
MjN @ 05/02/2013 09:52  

So pleased to hear that MjN Just do your "own" thing

Update Reply
Emzed @ 05/02/2013 10:19  

@MjN

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/02/2013 13:13  

The weather is often reasonable when I set off...... erm ....

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/02/2013 13:26  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email