MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

any other voluntry m/c training schools in grt britian ?

any  other  voluntry m/c training schools in  grt britian ? - Forums [Biker Match] any  other  voluntry m/c training schools in  grt britian ? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

any other voluntry m/c training schools in grt britian ?

Back in the 70s and early 80s . The RAC/ACU over saw 100s if not 1000s of voluntry motorcycle training schools in England Scotland and Wales.They supplied starter packs for new riders .Badges showing levels of training achieved by not only students but for instructors too . They supplied certificates to training schools to hand out to students once they have successfully completed an 8 week training course .. however in 1981 the RAC/ACU pulled out of this scheme . At this time a huge percentage of schools packed there bags and called it a day . However some schools didnt fade away and decided to carry on in the spirit of offering very low cost training , but under there own badge . Then in 1990 c.b.t was introduced by law .. that meant all the ex RAC/ACU voluntry training schemes now had to pay to get there instructors officailly qualified to teach and also had to have there training areas pass inspection by the government . Hence a huge percentage once again walked away . That was the introduction to 100s if not 1000,s of new schools starting up because they wanted to make money out of this new law . This is when the "ride to learn a bike in a day" started and pass your test in 4 days arrived .. not to mention the new costs needed to be charged to make this a viable business.... anything between £600 and £2000 .. depending on riders ability .. Where is this going your asking yourselves ??? . well not all schools packed there bags and called it a day .I can only speak for essex in the SE of England in the early 80s essex grouped together and formed EAMTS , east anglian motorcyle training schemes . We were 6 voluntry schools that merged as a group , supporting and helping each other out . As the years have past 5 of these have called it a day for variouse reasons . Just leaving my training school left . Now im sure there must be other training schools just like mine left in the country somewhere ?? . The reason i ask this question is because im too far away for most of the members on here to be able to help them . Emzed and i tried our best to make it work on here last year but it was a logistical nightmare .. so are you or do you know of anymore voluntry m/c training schools in your area?? if so please post your reply and what they offer . so other bm'rs can benefit .

Update Reply
buzz_sp1 @ 19/01/2013 03:24  

Excellent thread Buzz

Update Reply
Sandi @ 19/01/2013 07:44  

I really really hope we get some "practical" response to this topic Now that the new rules are coming into force Finding "affordable" training is becoming impossible If we as seasoned riders cant encourage new riders Because motorcycle riding has been priced out of the ordinary pocket Into the realms of expensive hobbies like skiing Then biking as an "everyday" option will disappear Well done Buzz, we should be proud to have you as a member

Update Reply
Emzed @ 19/01/2013 11:13  

a friend told me a tale of her woe the other week , she had to do her first part , cbt , or whatever they call it nowadays four times , to pass the schoolly thing gave her no support at all supplied her with a bike to tall for the job ,and after the third attempt , tried to dissuade her from comtinuing on her quest to be on two wheels , 4 th time she passed , phew , ,, i assume this was a fee paying training school and set up for profit only , anyway , shes on her way no thanks to these guys ,,, would name n shame , but not appropiate on this site ,, if anybody is looking for help , getting started , in shrops/ staffs/ chesh, area , by all means contact me through this site , will be glad to help where i can , ride safe , tc

Update Reply
dougie @ 19/01/2013 14:04  

thanks for the responses so far .... dougie cbt stands for compulsory basic (training ) . this is not a test and therefore u can not fail . it just takes some people longer than others to complete the syllabus . But alot of profit making schools fail there students just to get more money out of them to re take it .. non profit making schools dont do this ..

Update Reply
buzz_sp1 @ 19/01/2013 16:35  

Buzz think you may need to go mobile run courses at different places around the uk. Oh you cant the goverment wont let you I wonder if its something to do with TAX and VAT ? Good post though

Update Reply
JP @ 20/01/2013 09:24  

yee excellent thread. Bike training and laws are stopping thousands of folk taking to two wheels I sure.That doesnt mean I dont think at least some basic training required of course. I wonder just how much can be done via the internet (theory,defensive riding,anticipation) that sort of thing nowadays? A free to use site set up to do that would be popular I sure. Wish I had the know how to do it..

Update Reply
rossoandy21 @ 20/01/2013 09:42  

Andy the DSA would block it by saying that you have no way of knowing who is at the key board. when thay really mean where's our money

Update Reply
JP @ 20/01/2013 11:18  

I am a volunteer instructor, but sadly due to circumstances I have had to leave it for a while until things improve. I am associated with the Hinckley Motorcycle training Scheme based in Hinckley Leicestershire. At one point we were the largest volunteer school around, maybe still are? We have around 20 or so instructors and about 30 bikes, our own training yard which we use for off road CBT training and Mod 1 training. The yard is not far off the size of the ones used by the DSA and are marked out the same. we have speed detectors so can recreate what you need to know to for Mod 1. We do all courses from CBT through to DAS and have laptops for theory training. We were very busy before the new test rules but managed to get a lot of trainees through so things not as hectic now. Feel free to PM me if need any more info

Update Reply
Sweeny Todd @ 20/01/2013 12:51  

Question - are Training schools getting new bikes for those that can only or who only want to do the A2 licence? More cost for the schools though! Only reason I ask is cos the school near me uses CBR600's for the DAS, but they're still too tall for me (being a short arse) & I can't get me feet on the floor. They say it's been lowered, but they've only adjusted the seat height & it's still too tall. So the bikes that fall into the A2 licence category appear to be a bit smaller/lighter & I might have a fighting chance at taking me test ! lol Being able to get me feet on the floor means a lot to my confidence (along with the reach to the bars)..... Which has just made me think of another question...if I buy me own bike that falls into the A2 category - which obviously I can get modded to my own height/reach etc...would I be able to take lessons/me test on that? - Obviously I'd have to get someone to take me bike to the school/test centre for me. Sorry of this has gone off topic

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 20/01/2013 13:32  

hi hfg . yes we will be changing our fleet to accomodate the new a2 class. however i wont be doing it just yet . im going to wait untill easter to see what the demand is 1st . yes you can buy and use your own bike for the a2 test . aslong as you can get insured !!!!! .
well there u go people . 2 voluntry schools now . 1 in essex and 1 in leicestershire .. ANYMORE ???

Update Reply
buzz_sp1 @ 20/01/2013 14:21  

Why don't the bike dealerships do cheap or free training if you by a bike from them. Would help them build their customer base.

Update Reply
akceller8 @ 09/02/2013 00:23  

alot do , but bump up the price of the bike , then send them to a school that do a quick cbt , so little johnny can get back to the dealership to close the deal ..

Update Reply
buzz_sp1 @ 13/02/2013 00:14  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email