MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Battery time of year

Battery time of year - Forums [Biker Match] Battery time of year - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Battery time of year

This is the time of year when we are much more likely to hear the dreaded "groan" from the starter or hollow "click" at the solenoid (unless you are lucky enough to have a kickstart ) The following product I CAN personally recommend to releive those symptoms I have used one now for two winters and where I live we get several degrees of frost regularly, even in summer months These batteries,even when poorly attended to, will crank even the most reluctant engine into life, if there any suggestion of life in it They recover from deep discharge much faster too GEL type batteries are not only an investment towards peace of mind, they can also be installed in a variety of positions without fear of acid spillage and are maintenance free Treat your bike to a Christmas present she/he will thank you for, for years to come http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motobatt-MBTZ10S-Upgrade-Moto...4607d9cf7c I'm not promoting this particular supplier, just the type of battery Oh, and they are "Quadflex" which means they can be fitted either way round

Update Reply
Emzed @ 17/12/2012 13:01  

Very interesting Emzed had probs with T100 battery dis charging a few weeks ago will look into these gel batteries in the new year!

Update Reply
boristhebold @ 18/12/2012 19:20  

Be aware,there like many other things in life many varying qualities of gel batteries. I personally keep away from cheap stuff mostly from China or Taiwan areas.
What exactly is an AGM battery?
An AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) battery is a lead acid battery that is sealed using special pressure valves and is completely maintenance-free. The electrolyte is absorbed in separators consisting of a sponge like mass of matted glass fibres which uses a recombination reaction to prevent the escape of hydrogen and oxygen gases normally lost in a liquid lead-acid battery. They are non-spillable, and therefore can be operated in virtually any position. However, upside-down installation is not recommended. Once fully charged they can be left for long periods without discharging or needing recharging. They have a very high discharge current ability ensuring excellant cold starting characteristics, where applicable. AGM Battery I use the same brand as used by the SAS for surveilance equipment and the like, good enough for them..good enough for me! Oddesy branded,but you wil pay more for it. I fittted one to my V11 Guzzi and with intermittant use never ever went flat until I had a charging issue with the bike. It lasted eight yrs and then I replaced it because I felt it must have been on its last legs and didnt want a failure at an inconvenient time.

Update Reply
rossoandy21 @ 19/12/2012 11:35  

ooer soz about white txt...

Update Reply
rossoandy21 @ 19/12/2012 11:41  

Cheers R/A , thought i was having a migraine trying to read your white text though!!

Update Reply
boristhebold @ 19/12/2012 17:07  

That's what you get when you "copy & paste" stuff Boris As for things made in China or Taiwan there is NO truth in the rumours that their products are in any way "inferior" These are totally spurious allegations put about by folk who dont know what they talking about (sorry Andy but on this occasion you are just plain wrong and ill informed) The vast majority of products now made in China are made to a much higher spec and standard than many British or European ever used to be Highly respected "Global" brands such as : BMW,Rolls Royce,Mercedes,Ford and GMC have components and equipment made in China As for Taiwan, the most trusted brands in electronics such as Sony,Panasonic,Phillips and Samsung have a wide variety of equipment and components manufactured there So a GEL battery made in China is quite likely to be "top of the range" regardless of it's price tag The AGM "Quadflex" battery was developed in Germany and is now manufactured in China to reduce production costs NOT quality As with most things these days the technology is becoming universal and "intelectual" and "design" copyright is constantly flouted by Chinese factories and only "snob" value retains the "Brand Loyalty" in the face of common sense I've not done any research on his (Andy's) much vaunted Oddesy brand but if they aren't made in China, yet, it wont be long

Update Reply
Emzed @ 19/12/2012 17:42  

Ive just copied and pasted this from another thread o mine I've lost count of the number of folk I've watched in car parks (and at home) completely flatten a battery trying to start a car with all the lights,heater,heated screens,wipers, foot on the brake not handbrake and lord knows how many other gizmo's turned on whilst doing so Just turning all that crap off, on the odd occasion when some have allowed me to help, has got them started Often the main culprit of low battery condition is short winter journeys Cranking an engine over till it starts takes a hefty chunk out of the battery A few of those, combined with very short trips (IE school runs,shop runs ) during winter months when lights are needed more than usual, will soon have a battery groaning I have been told (by a reliable source) that it can take "up to 20 miles" to put back into a battery what you take out with 1 start Not everyone thinks about the state of the battery till it cries enough and lets them down And not everyone has a garage or shed, let alone a battery conditioner So do your vehicles a favour this year, be it bike car or both, spare a thought for your poor old battery and give it a treat eh ?

Update Reply
Emzed @ 19/12/2012 17:58  

I agree to a point Emz....certainly in the electronics field and also automotive design the far east is now a force to be reckoned with. The Oddesy is guaranteed for 5yrs and in my experience last several years past that too. The quadflex is a relative newcomer so no one wil have had one longer than a year or two? So unproven as of yet? Technology and production may well be the equal,but is the back up and warranty as good here in the UK? Again I just dnt know about the quadflex,the Odesey I can vouch for personaly. Time will tell...and maybe the Premium brand will have to take its manufacturing to China too? I think currently USA built? A matter of opinions and experience here gives different viewpoints, there no wrong or right really.

Update Reply
rossoandy21 @ 07/01/2013 20:06  

Take a look at bikes built in China..good but still not Japanese good....even though several jap factories have production lines there now they still often dnt match the home built jap bikes quality.Its mostly the smaller bikes entrusted to satelite factories still.I guess as time moves on and economics force more production to move to the emerging economies we will see better and better bikes built away from japan...

Update Reply
rossoandy21 @ 07/01/2013 20:19  

Touché Andy Time indeed will tell I just hope I last long enough to report on the "long term" performances of the far east produced products I would like to think I'll "outlast" my battery but who knows But I'm almost certain it'll last longer than the lead acid batteries I've bought over the previous 5 years

Update Reply
Emzed @ 07/01/2013 20:20  

Motobatt batteries are the best on the market, superior cranking power etc. I use one on my chop, and its the dogs nob of batteries.

Update Reply
GS1085 @ 08/01/2013 12:03  

I have to agree GS I have two Motobatt Quadflex batteries now Best I've ever had Even in really bad frost and snow they deliver the cranking amps And because they are Quadflex and come with dual terminals And spacers which can help make them fit different battery compartments I now only need the two batteries for four bikes

Update Reply
Emzed @ 10/01/2013 03:24  

dunna know but dont want a battery from the makers of the dreamliner ones

Update Reply
dougie @ 19/01/2013 11:46  

Great Battery's,
Already had one for a while now,
Also the new Lithium, are a good product, but a lot more expensive.

Update Reply
gazza123 @ 20/01/2013 15:54  

I'm still using the battery which came with the bike when new in 2006, I use a CTEK xs3600, which is like an optimate, but better quality, to optimise the battery when the bike is not in use. Alternatively what I used to do was to charge the battery then connect it up to the smallest 12v bulb I could find for a week or 2, then charge again & keep repeating this to keep the battery alive ..... I haven't had to buy a new battery in many years .

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 29/01/2013 13:33  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email