MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Grip grrrr!

Grip grrrr! - Forums [Biker Match] Grip grrrr! - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Grip grrrr!

Hi people, about to change handlebars on my Triumph T100 for lower ones,does anybody know an easy way of removing/fitting the left hand grip,i seem to remember having fun and games last time on a Z650

Stew

Update Reply
boristhebold @ 27/11/2012 17:29  

try soaking it in hot water, it might be just enough to losen the adhesive.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/11/2012 18:58  

if you have acess to an airline, slip a thin bladed screwdriver between grip and bar then blow some compressed air in there.. some pics to help, here... http://bolty.net/2010/11/29/how-to-remove-motorcycle-gr...ying-them/

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 28/11/2012 12:49  

As above, use an airline. Have also used carb/ brake cleaner to ease the glue.

Update Reply
GS1085 @ 27/12/2012 19:05  

I'm with Bluey on this one A kettle of boiling water on the offending grip is usually sufficient to loosen it Sometimes a thin bladed screwdriver to slip down the inside will let the water soften the adhesive directly

Update Reply
Emzed @ 27/12/2012 19:17  

buy a new one

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 27/12/2012 19:45  

If you look closely at the original post Bill It says Stew is changing his "handlebars" Not his grips, so he needs to get the "left" one off To keep a matching pair when he fits the throttle & grip to the new bars If there is nowt wrong with the grip (not worn out) Then getting it off the old bars in one piece is a sensible move IMO

Update Reply
Emzed @ 27/12/2012 20:02  

Im with Bluey and EMZ boiling water does the trick for me ... :-)

Update Reply
Intruder18 @ 28/12/2012 01:32  

It's always worked for me 18 Except one memorable occasion in 1969 An old "Britax" hard plastic grip refused to budge So had to cut it off with a scalpel Glued it onto the new bars and it stayed on for years

Update Reply
Emzed @ 28/12/2012 02:04  

if its not glued on try a bit of washing up liquid

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 21/01/2013 20:06  

Another method is to use the flat blade screwdriver slid inside the grip and then use a good hairdrier or heat gun to heat up the glue inside the grip.
If you know a decent Engineer, they usually have access to decent heat guns with a good temperature control on them.

Update Reply
Harley_Rider @ 04/03/2013 13:07  

I've had success with a thin Philips type screw driver pushed in and then twisted it, it then 'rolls' round breaking the glue bond

Update Reply
mad munky @ 04/03/2013 18:00  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email