MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Fitting new Bars to my Harleyy

Fitting new Bars to my Harleyy - Forums [Biker Match] Fitting new Bars to my Harleyy - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Fitting new Bars to my Harleyy

i have a new set of bars to fit on me harley coz i want to bring them about 1-2 inches closer to me for more arm comfort as they are just a bit too stretched for my liking currently..... anyhow, when i was riding today i thought if i fit (with help i add!!) these new bars will it drastically change how my bike handles around corners etc will i notice or wont it really change things much at all ? it was just a thought that came to me while riding today - does anyone have any thoughts or advice on this one please?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/11/2012 19:46  

It shouldn't change the way it handles, Can't you losen the bars you have on now and pull them back to where you want them??

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/11/2012 21:03  

thanks for reply Bluey - the bars have already been brought towards me as much as is possible and they will just start to turn downwards if go any further - if you get me...... hence got this new pair from harley dealer for a fiver and want to try them see if they give me just that little bit more

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/11/2012 21:11  

As Bluey says moving the bars shouldnt make any differance to the way the bike handles may just feel odd for a bit untill you get use to the new position. before you go to the trouble of stripping all the existing controls down just unbolt the bars and get someone to hold them forward and try the new bars in place and see if there a good or bad position if there no good you have only undone 4 bolts not stripped the complete setup

Update Reply
JP @ 01/11/2012 21:20  

good shout jp thanksfor that coz i was a bit worried about getting it all back on if i dont like em and i have offered em up but nto with the other ones out the way so to speak ... thanks

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/11/2012 21:41  

First of all happy birthday. I changed my standard bars to the straight drag bars and didnt make any difference to the handling of my Harley. after a few miles I was used to how the new bars felt

Update Reply
Sweeny Todd @ 01/11/2012 23:56  

make sure all your control cables and hoses are long enough to reach the new bars. just a thought.

Update Reply
xj @ 02/11/2012 00:59  

Hi.. Just echoing what Xk has said really .. I have just changed my risers and had to re route the cables and pipes a different way through the triple tree to create more slack .. :-)

Update Reply
Intruder18 @ 02/11/2012 05:26  

That should have been XJ sorry .... Joys of iPad :-) and piano players hands ....

Update Reply
Intruder18 @ 02/11/2012 05:28  

Thanks Sweeny, xj and intruder - good news it wont change handling of my bike you've just reminded me why i hadnt done it already - the cabling!! grr - i think first off will loosen and offer up the new ones and see what happens with all the cabling would it be whole new cables or can current ones be extended - maybe stupid question bt this sounds lie it could be a reet troublesome job lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/11/2012 13:13  

Depends on how much bigger the bars are, I took the standard bars of my sporty and fitted some lower and wider bars but the cables fitted. You should have enough for about 3" of difference.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/11/2012 17:58  

if the bar will fit with no problems and the cables are long enough and they feel more comfortable Suzi than go for it, the more comfortable you are the better you will ride the bike and the better it should handle

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 02/11/2012 21:49  

il have to get the current ones loosen ed off like jp said i think and offer up the new ones - ive a feeling the cables may not be quite long enough coz they are a bit more ape than my current ones bluey- not mad like bt defo bit more but will see once loosened off other ones i guess then deal with whatever needs doing ie cables!! i cant wait bill coz it will be soooo fab to be riding with that bit more arm comfort love it

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/11/2012 22:48  

you can sometimes reroute the cables Suzi but make sure you dont trap them when on full lock and that there is still some slack on them,
than get out there and enjoy

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 03/11/2012 00:29  

Also Suzi ... The break pipes are the clincher there should be no strain on these at all :-) as Bill mentioned they can be rerouted ....

Malc.

Update Reply
Intruder18 @ 05/11/2012 12:52  

yus thanks bill and Intruder - think im gonna get someone to come help me out with this one maek sure its all done proper like .....

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/11/2012 12:57  

Good call Suzi :-) needs to be propper innit ....!

Update Reply
Intruder18 @ 05/11/2012 15:16  

Did you get sorted suzi ?

Update Reply
JP @ 08/11/2012 09:38  

nope me not got them sorted yet, not had the hands on help yet jp... im not one to get things done quickly i tend to build up to them pmsl - in other words im a bit laid back!!! bt that is cool its not an emergency ...;. yet!! hahaha bt i will probs try get someone to help in next few weeks as i got some time off end of month

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/11/2012 21:39  

late reply i know hun,only diference in feel should be on slow speed steering only because of new position ,handlin will stay same.
if you need a chuck on giz a nod old times sake :)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/11/2012 13:10  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email