MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Stopping to help other bikers......

Stopping to help other bikers...... - Forums [Biker Match] Stopping to help other bikers...... - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Stopping to help other bikers......

Do you stop to help other bikers if they are stopped at the roadside. I did last year but the guy got his bike going OK and thanked me for stopping. This thought was prompted by me, in my car, driving straight past some poor bugger in a van that was broken down half way across some lights thinking that he's probably in the AA/RAC. yet if i was on my bike and he/she was on one, I would definately have stopped and asked if i could help. Again when you stop somewhere eg The Bassetts Pole, other bikers will always chat to you/ask if you can watch their kit while they pop in McDonalds/ ask where your off to or where you've been etc If two car drivers parked up, no words are ever excahnged between them as a rule. What is it that brings out this camaraderie in the majority (not all i would imagine) but most bikers ? Not that i'm complaining, i think it's brilliant

Update Reply
VFR800AJ @ 19/10/2012 18:44  

me thinks it might be called "being a biker" having a good soul.... caring about others...... living a life that includes communities and other humans and giving a and enjoying it ....some car drivers im sure are like this too, but mostly when in a car you are completely cut off from the world in your own cocoon and so no one else exists......... community, other people... what's that

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 19/10/2012 20:07  

Agree with xSuzix As bikers we are a small group of like minded folk, my mate has old Land Rovers and they do the same. On a trip up M1 north a mate and me stopped off for a brew at services, we were soon joined by other bikers around our table all introducing ourselves. The car drivers didnt think to sit at an occupied table with other car drivers, just wandering around looking for an empty table.

Update Reply
Sweeny Todd @ 19/10/2012 22:40  

I always stop just to see if they need help.Sometimestime they heve justed stopped for a drink or a rest, but you never know. Perhaps they are broken down and need to borrow your moble to ring for help. It is always good to stop.

Update Reply
timhall @ 19/10/2012 23:21  

Spot on xSuzix, most (not all) car drivers are only interested in dropping into that 10 foot space in front of you just so they get to there destination 10 seconds quicker. And if they cant get in there they will sit six foot off your tail end.

As regards break downs in a car, unless your with the RAC/AA etc your on your own

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/11/2012 12:51  

yes

Update Reply
kaycat @ 07/11/2012 13:35  

I would stop to try help, I couldn't do very much to help mechanically but I would stop anyway....

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/11/2012 13:41  

A few weeks back heidi broke down on the expressway in brum she posted on fb so I gave her a call then an hour later she was still there I jumped on the bike and went and sat with her only trouble was I forgot the flask lol.
But yes if I can stop I will but on motorway only if its safe you can so easy make a situation worse by stopping if your not sure about safety stop at the next phone and report it. And I would never recomend or expect a lone female to stop at night

Update Reply
JP @ 07/11/2012 15:20  

When I had my bike on the road I was never in a position to stop, not that the situation ever arose, as I know nothing about mechanics and never have credit on my mobile to make calls; so I'm about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. Once when I was a pillion there was a biker at the side of the road, the pilot I was with just rode past, til I gave him a dig in the ribs and made him go back to help. I was once at the side of the road, waiting for a mate to come back with the old key for my bike, the new one wouldn't fit the petrol cap lock, several bikers went past and didn't even glance in my direction.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 07/11/2012 23:33  

Yes I would always and have done even when i'm in a cage. Nice words Suz..... its not about being mechanically minded. its the mutual respect for other bikers. You don't have to be a whiz with a spanner. Just being there, the chat, laughing about the situation and the support that matters.

Update Reply
bomb doctor @ 07/11/2012 23:51  

I remember a few months back i was makin my way along a farm back road in the pouring rain and my chain came off the sprocket! Was half way through calling my dad to come pick me up (was too clueless at the time to figure out how to roll it back on) when a guy passed on a bike n stopped n asked if i needed help without a seconds hesitation, got the chain back on n was on my way.

few weeks later a guy couldnt get his bike started in a petrol station n i straight away offered him a push to bump start it. Pass the karma on:-P

wouldnt stop if a car was broken down, theyre fine, they have a roof and a stereo to tide them over till they get picked up :-P

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/11/2012 14:38  

*double posted by mistake*

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/11/2012 15:09  

wouldnt stop if a car was broken down, theyre fine, they have a roof and a stereo to tide them over till they get picked up :-P Just laughed me biscuit onto me keybaord !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Update Reply
VFR800AJ @ 08/11/2012 15:52  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email