MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Culture in Manchester

Culture in Manchester - Forums [Biker Match] Culture in Manchester - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Culture in Manchester

I was thinking of going to some of these events, if anyone else fancied going? I won't be on the bike - she's going away for the winter shortly (I know, I know! I used to laugh at 'fairweathers'!!) and I wondered if just in general they might be of interest on here?

John Rylands library :
Nosferatu: with musical accompaniment

Wednesday, 31 October
7.30pm - 9pm

Join us in the Library's Gothic splendour to celebrate a truly spooky Hallowe'en. We will be screening the silent film classic Nosferatu (cert. PG) with atmospheric piano to help create the mood...
Fifty Years Of A Clockwork Orange

20 August 2012 to 27 January 2013

What's it going to be then, eh? Anthony Burgess (1917-93) was a Manchester-born novelist, poet, playwright, composer, linguist, translator and critic.

Please be advised that some of the images on display in this exhibition are not appropriate for viewing by younger visitors.

Manchester Art Gallery:

http://www.manchestergalleries.org/whats-on/thursday-lates/
Thursday Lates Goes Dark

October 25th 6 - 8.45pm

Manchester Art Gallery explores some of the more supernatural themes from its collection at this haunting time of year

In Death of a Viking tour, come and meet some real life viking enactors and listen to a talk on Frank Dicksee's Death of a Viking with curator Hannah Williamson

Eccentronic Research Council show the film of their concept album, 1612 Overture. A tale of the Pendle Witches trial, marking the 400th anniversary of the persecution and hanging of 11 people accused of witchcraft in the Pendle Hills.

Skewed cues and dark hues from obscure horror themed records with Time Burglar DJs

The only one I might not go to is the Nosferatu thing as I'm out that night. I was thinking of suggesting bonfire night, too...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/10/2012 20:04  

I quite like the *sound of a silent halloween movie with atmospheric piano. Tis shame I is permanently skint. *No pun intended lol. I notice there are no prices for these events, Sal, are they free entry?

Update Reply
Sandi @ 16/10/2012 20:36  

Yeah, they are :) John Rylands is a terrific library - gothic and atmospheric, so it would be quite creepy :)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/10/2012 20:45  

culture and manchester in the same sentence???

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 16/10/2012 21:12  

Plenty going on here!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/10/2012 21:15  

Double buggerations, it's free and I live miles away from it

Update Reply
Sandi @ 16/10/2012 21:17  

ay i know surprise they havent turned John Rylands Library into flippin apartments! lol though it is fabulously gothic!

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 16/10/2012 21:53  

Liverpool was *city of culture* not too long ago kwakgirl, so I suppose us Mancs must be really cultured.(ex Manc too aren't you?) The one that would interest me most Sal would be Pendle Witches one, quite fascinating all that stuff.

Update Reply
old red @ 16/10/2012 23:18  

Ah yes, the Demdike Brood - quite misunderstood methinks!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/10/2012 23:21  

Few of us in here who would have ended up on the ducking stool if we'd been born in the 17th century!

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 16/10/2012 23:41  

old red! im still a manc....you dont become an ex manc you take a little bit of it with you wen u leave....in my case the accent lol

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 17/10/2012 06:57  

Is being a bit of a manc any worse than being a bit of a twit?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/10/2012 12:16  

LOL @ XK dont tell me ur thick skin is thinning sumwot???

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 17/10/2012 13:31  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email