MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Bouncing

Bouncing - Forums [Biker Match] Bouncing - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Bouncing

I've a problem with my 2002 Harley Davidson Roadking, at high speed the front end bounces it's not a wobble or sending me in to a tank slapper. I've had the wheel checked when I had a new tyre fitted (it was doing it before the new tyre was fitted) and it's still doing it. I have also had a heavier fork oil put in which has helped. I have noticed that it happens at different speeds on different Tarmaced roads :/ I've also noticed that the bounce is quite rythmic. it's annoying as it makes overtaking on motorways un-nerving.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 28/08/2012 19:59  

Forgive my ignorance, but what size tyres does this run? You've had new tyres but are you running the correct tyre pressures? sorry if its an obivous question, but its the easiest to check.

Update Reply
SPESH @ 28/08/2012 20:36  

On the two harleys i owned the first thing i did was replace the standard springs for progressive ones. standard was way to soft. I don't know how much adjustment your forks have got regards rebound. knowing harley i'm guessing probably non. Oh and when you say at high speed do you mean high for a harley?

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 28/08/2012 21:07  

It runs on Dunlops D402 MT90B16's front and rear, tyre pressure is good, I check on a regualr basis. And there is no adjustment for rebound. Guess I'll have to FORK out for some new springs. (pardon the pun) High speed 75+ :)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 28/08/2012 21:23  

I changed the springs in my softail and it make the bike better but dont get them from a harley dealer try Tony Coleman at All American Motorcycles 01299 251111 post code DY10 4JB

Update Reply
JP @ 28/08/2012 22:53  

Cheers JP, I use Tony for servicing :) I'll pop in and see him the weekend.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 29/08/2012 07:29  

Have you e mailed Dunlop about the tyre pressures. Not all makes of tyre will run the same pressures as recommended in the manual. But sounds like you could be due a fork spring replacement. But as JP said get some aftermarket ones, (cus JP knows his Harleys).

Update Reply
SPESH @ 29/08/2012 08:51  

I run the recomended pressures 38 front 44 rear. I had a feeling it would be the springs just wanted a seocnd opinion, cheers all.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 29/08/2012 19:18  

Just had the following from a VERY reliable source (our man in the know - Greasy Tony): “at high speed the front end bounces it's not a wobble or sending me in to a tank slapper”First things first .. If the front end is bouncing, then the front suspension is too soft .. period!!Bluey states ..... “I run the recomended pressures 38 front 44 rear” .. this is incorrect !!Correct pressures for an ’02 RoadKing running Dunlops D402 MT90B16's are:Solo .. 36 psi front .. 36 psi rearTwo up .. 36 psi front .. 40 psi rear.The front springs, as John has said he had done on his Harley’s, really should be changed for Progressive ones, with a certain amount of pre load added to the springs. This pre load amount will vary from rider to riders preference .. .. Good move John!!Changing the fork oil to a heavier weight oil is a good move also, Although it doesn’t do as much as people think it does.Stock Harley fork oil .. Type E, is 5 weight .. Screamin’ Eagle oil, is 15 weight .. do not go heavier than this!!The better option is to increase the oil volume by aprox 10 mm (3/8”) as this reduces the available air space in the fork leg, thereby giving a higher resistance when forks are compressing ..The correct oil amount in each of the forks should be 11.1 ounces or 328 Ml. This is into a stripped and cleaned fork !!When you have added the oil, compress the leg, minus the spring, and measure how far down the fork the oil level is, then add oil to raise the level by 10mm or 3/8” .Another thing to check on a Road King is the rear suspension air pressure.All RoadKing models have air adjustable rear shock absorbers.Have this checked by a competent person using the correct equipment DO NOT USE A STD GARAGE AIR LINE

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/08/2012 00:30  

thanks for all your help, new springs have been ordered and will be fitted the weekend.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/09/2012 19:39  

Just to update you all, After having the springs fitted it did make a hell of a difference. However I found I still had the same problem so I had the front engine mounting changed, looking at the old mounting and seeing that the rubber had split it was the mounting that was causing the problem.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/11/2012 21:12  

split rubbers .. its a problem many of us have faced before

Update Reply
buzz_sp1 @ 01/11/2012 21:19  

Will remember that in case Her ladyships ever has that problem. glad you got it sorted now

Update Reply
JP @ 01/11/2012 21:29  

Yep me too, feels so much more solid on the front end now, handles like a dream now!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/11/2012 22:04  

wow interesting reading all the above - and maybe i ought to check my tyre pressures - not coz i got problems just coz i ought to darn do it!! glad ya got it sorted bluey

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/11/2012 22:13  

JP I think the mount was fitted to the earlier models pre 2004 I think before the uprated the engine mount.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/11/2012 18:32  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email