MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Overheating Problems - Advice Please

Overheating Problems - Advice Please - Forums [Biker Match] Overheating Problems - Advice Please - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Overheating Problems - Advice Please

I've got an old VT500 EF which is overheating. There's no sign of any leaks from the hoses and the radiator cap looks ok. I'm no mechanic but am told if it was a head gasket I'd have white smoke coming from the exhaust which I don't, and if it was the water pump I'd probably hear it making a noise and when I rev the engine with the rad cap off if the pump's working I should be able to see the coolant drop slightly in the rad; all seems ok there. I don't think there's an air lock in the system and am at a loss for what to try next. Don't get to technical with any replies. What I know about mechanics I could write on a postage stamp, what I don't know I could fill a library with. Any ideas please would be appreciated.

Update Reply
Simon66 @ 20/08/2012 15:13  

Take out the thermostat if that fails to keep it cool flush rad with radflush you could have some or all of the rad clogged with gunge

Update Reply
JP @ 20/08/2012 15:18  

Thanks JP, I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Update Reply
Simon66 @ 20/08/2012 22:09  

warm the bike up and turn it off. feel all over the rad and if it's blocked you should feel some cold areas. thermostat sounds favorite. not good to leave it out long term but defo remove and see if it cures the fault. check oil for signs of water(milky white) good luck.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/08/2012 15:42  

is the cooling fan cutting in when it gets hot could be something as simple as fan gone or switch gone. If the fan isn't working join the wires at the switch together and if it works then you have a faulty switch. the switch is in the side off the radiator

Update Reply
Vladamir @ 27/08/2012 14:43  

Thanks folk. I'll be having another go at it tomorrow.

Update Reply
Simon66 @ 27/08/2012 22:03  

Well it's now cool while moving which is good enough for me in the short term. Now planning a route to Kiss avoiding the M6 just in case I have to stop. See you all at the weekend.

Update Reply
Simon66 @ 28/08/2012 14:53  

I have a vt500 aswell so i'll have a look at it at kiss if it's cooling while moving it sounds like a fan problem as mine only needs the fan when in slow traffic

Update Reply
Vladamir @ 28/08/2012 21:50  

Cheers mate, that would be great. The fan isn't coming on but never has while moving. Until this morning it was overheating while moving as well so I blasted the hose pipe through the radiator; lol. Rode it and it maintained temperature but no anti freeze in it now. I'm reluctant to drain it again to put anti freeze in this close to the rally when it appears to be working.

Update Reply
Simon66 @ 28/08/2012 22:36  

It will be fine simon I will bring a muti tester aswell so you can check out the wiring

Update Reply
JP @ 28/08/2012 22:46  

Cheers JP. Note to self, buy air cooled next time.

Update Reply
Simon66 @ 29/08/2012 01:48  

problem with air cooled is you don't know when they're too hot until they sieze

Update Reply
Vladamir @ 29/08/2012 13:19  

Vlad You do with a Harley you get dry roasted nuts and thay dont come in a bag

Update Reply
JP @ 29/08/2012 15:54  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email