MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

visor laws??

visor laws?? - Forums [Biker Match] visor laws?? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

visor laws??

hi guys and gals, with the sun deciding to show its face now and then just wanted to know if many of you have had issues with the police over tinted visors. been caught out a couple of times with sudden dark spells and rain. is it ok to ride with your visor open. or is it best to remove it?

Update Reply
flying flea @ 12/08/2012 00:22  

I dont have a coloured visor, but i opened it at 40 mmph thorough a village on the way to Lake Vrnwy (or however you spell that) and a bee hit me right between the eyes, just like someone had slung a stone at me....so i rarely rife with an open visor now.

Update Reply
VFR800AJ @ 12/08/2012 00:50  

Best bet is to buy a helmet with a drop down tint so you can simply adjust according to the conditions without having to carry a second visor. I certainly wouldn't advise riding with the visor up. Get something in your eyes at speed and you may as well be riding blind. No law to say you can't ride with it up, just not a good idea.

Update Reply
Simon66 @ 12/08/2012 01:54  

If a visor is stamped daytime only then it means just that. All newer legal visors need to have the E.U. mark on them. It is not a legal requirement to wear a visor but if you do it needs to have E.U. on it, but sunglasses have no mark on and are still legal. Police can take your illegal visor and leave you without one. As mentioned helmets with the extra drop down tinted visor are ok as they have daytime use only on them, however could still get pulled over if using at night.

Update Reply
Sweeny Todd @ 12/08/2012 16:04  

I personnaly never rid without at least sunglasses on, over the years I've been hit in the eyes way too many times by insects and other flying crap and not only does it bloody hurt but it can do permanent damage and as Simon said (that takes me back a good many years!) can leave you suddenly riding blind. I wear an open face lid so keep a pair of clear goggles attached to it so I can quickly wip the shades off and pull down the goggles if need be.

Update Reply
centurion @ 12/08/2012 23:14  

Must be honest I've never been stopped for wearing a tinted visor. But I sometimes carry a clear one in a visor bag, easy to carry under your jacket. But when touring or away with the bike I've a helmet with a integral sun visor, invaluable as its takes seconds to flick into position.

Update Reply
SPESH @ 13/08/2012 15:55  

Just bought lid with integral sunvisor and its great,tint is just right,now I'm used to it only takes a second to flip either way,no problem with prescription glasses either. Had 'em for years for jet jockeys so good enough for me!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 13/08/2012 17:06  

My Shoei has a Reactolite Fog insert, this is handy as when it gets dark the visor is clear! On local rides in very bright sunlight I wear other helmets with Dark visors, please note: they say daytime use only but are still illegal on UK roads, so if you have an accident...well you know the rest! At Squires the other night I was shocked at how many riders went home with dark visors fitted and down!

Update Reply
Viking Tel @ 13/08/2012 19:13  

as with Viking above, i have a reactolite "pinlock" on my shoei, wich is handy during changable conditions (it darkens as its sunny, then lightens in cloud/rain) but i find "usually" i need a tinted (dark) visor PLUS sunglasses, especially when abroad, as my eyes seem sensitive to light. but then i very rarely go out without a spare visor!

Update Reply
oldyeti @ 13/08/2012 19:32  

I have a Caberg with a drop down tint. Just be aware if you are thinking of one then try dropping the tint with your gloves on. I know it sounds stupid but my mate bought one where to drop it down it was just a small pin to twist on the side of his head and it wasn't possible to down with gloves on. Mines a simple slider on the top of head and i've had no problems. Hope we are all of some assistance to you

Update Reply
OMNF @ 14/08/2012 17:01  

I have a Caberg with a drop down tint aswell.I don't have a problem raising and lowering it with my gloves on. I like helmets with the drop down tints. Easily employed during sunlight and easily removed if it gets dark and if you are in town you can lift the outer, clear visor and the tinted one keeps all the nasties out of your face. Great idea.

Update Reply
timhall @ 14/08/2012 22:00  

Never been pulled for a mirrored visor. Its the exhaust they aren't too pleased with!!

Update Reply
S24_SDJ @ 15/08/2012 00:17  

A word of warning on the drop down sun visor try it in the shop when you drop it down put both hands on the top of the helmet and pull down hard if the sun visor touchs your nose dont buy it try a different make or model if you have an off and hit your head you could lose your nose

Update Reply
JP @ 15/08/2012 08:00  

hi all thanks for the advice, well the problem seems to have found its own cure. my shelf decided to fall off the wall were it has been for 3 years. it had both my helmets on so now i am on the hunt for a new lid. will be def getting a helmet with a built it sun visor. went and tried some on today and i think the caberg mechanisum is by far the best.

Update Reply
flying flea @ 16/08/2012 00:18  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email