MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Nodders!!

Nodders!! - Forums [Biker Match] Nodders!! - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Nodders!!

I noticed today that I have sent 23 Nods since being on the site and have only received 8! when I get a Nod I Nod back, I just thought it polite as is Nodding at other Bike riders on the road. If I Nod, it means I think we have something in common, maybe our taste in Bikes, or dislikes of things, or even locality ? I Don't Nod because I want a date or owt so why do I scare other Nodders off? Sandi will now tell me that this has been covered a zillion times edit: just realised 6 of the 8 Nodded me first anyhow! Tel.

Update Reply
Viking Tel @ 23/07/2012 16:40  

VFR800AJ Cheers, made my day!

Update Reply
Viking Tel @ 23/07/2012 17:02  

Ha Ha couldn't resist !!!

Update Reply
VFR800AJ @ 23/07/2012 17:06  

Felt like a noddy dog when i was out yesterday so resorted to flashing my main beam or just a thumbs up in the end.

Update Reply
VFR800AJ @ 23/07/2012 17:08  

Thanks Ladies you know who you are I'm not feeling so Invisible anymore! VFR800AJ, I'm nodding all the time with all the wind buffeting! I don't wave as I only hold on with one arm

Update Reply
Viking Tel @ 23/07/2012 18:22  

PML, no Tel, I won't tell you, but it's true lol As I've said before I don't consider it rude to ignore B M nods, after all it is a biking site so by us being here means we are already biker friendly. It's a good thing you haven't nodded at me isn't it? lol Before it was a nod it was a wink, and that was a waste of time too, IMHO. I have always said 'what's the point of either?' If folk want to correspond with me just send me a PM, sending a nod means a trillion things to a trillion folk and I for one was sick of the misunderstandings. Some folk see it as a 'toe in the water' to see if rejection is on the cards, perhaps they think if they don't respond to a nod maybe they won't respond to a PM. In my case I respond to ALL PMs, if the sender has a photo and the message isn't obscene.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 24/07/2012 11:53  

I didn't Nod you Sandi, I PM'd ya so no need for a Nod I even Nodded a mate on here, he never Nodded back! I just like the Idea that a Nod means you are noticed, lets face it, the Older you get the more Invisible you become (well I do). And this fills in my day at work!

Update Reply
Viking Tel @ 24/07/2012 12:02  

Well I've doubled my incoming Nods to 16! thanks.
shame I've nodded 33 times though, my heads gonna fall off

Update Reply
Viking Tel @ 24/07/2012 17:22  

I know what you mean about "return" nods Tel When you're out on the road and you nod to another bike And they totally ignore you My instant thought is "ignorant T**t" Because I don't nod where it would be inappropriate, where it would be inconvenient or dangerous to return it It takes NO effort to return a nod, either on the road or on BM So why not

Update Reply
Emzed @ 24/07/2012 18:04  

On the road it may be dangerous to return a nod, not a good idea to loose concentration. I nodded whenever I felt safe to do so, so sometimes that meant not nodding, that didn't mean I had anything against the other person or that I'm ignorant. Why is it so important to get a nod back? I never have worked that one out. Personally I'd rather stay alive than risk injury, or worse, by losing concentration. As a pillion now, not a rider anymore, I find it a little worrying that a rider will nod while on the motorway, it only takes seconds for something to go wrong. I'd prefer my rider to be concentrating not nodding.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 24/07/2012 18:31  

Sandi Did you read ALL my post "Because I don't nod where it would be inappropriate, where it would be inconvenient or dangerous to return it " I've been riding almost 50 years Don't you think that by now I've worked out where it's safe to nod As for "why" return a nod Because it's "common courtesy" that's why It's like saying good morning to someone or good evening And them totally ignoring you Would you like it if you said "good morning" to your nieghbour and they just "blanked" you It is just good manners

Update Reply
Emzed @ 24/07/2012 18:44  

Obviously I didn't read your post properly, my apologies Em. I don't think I can equate nodding while riding a bike to pleasantries between neighbours, not the same thing at all.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 24/07/2012 18:50  

would it be useful to have a 'disable nods' option... on BM obviously, not on the road i know the nod thing has been discussed many times before, dont really see the point in it (on here) myself, as sandi says better to send a PM..

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/07/2012 21:55  

Yes I agree with Neil, I rarely send or respond to nods on here at all. Don't much see the point of them on here.

Most times when I have sent them in return to someone who has nodded at me, they instantly send me PMs wanting to chat and to be honest I just don't want to talk to them.... Im only replying with a nod thats all....(which is what I do on the road)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/07/2012 00:14  

Most of the external advertising for the site portrays it as a dating site, (full page ads in ride/bike, Facebook advertising etc) so I think a lot of new members come here expecting that and will see a nod as a "I like the look of you" type interaction, and they do not nod back because they don't think the same way about the one that sent them the nod...

Of course, those of us that have been here a while realise its a community and a nod on here is a bit more like like a nod on the road..

I've joked with members in PM before that perhaps there should be a "nod" and a "cheeky wink" that would clear up a fair bit of the confusion...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/07/2012 00:23  

PML no it wouldn't Jools. We've had a wink and it was just as confusing, cos some folk sent it as a 'hi' and that's where the confusion starts (the recipient assumes the wink means 'I like you') in fact that's why Matt changed it to a nod. Now we aren't sure what the hell it means lol. A nod on here is totally pointless when we have the means to send mail, and for those who are standard members, you could get your moths out er...I mean your wallet/purse and become a full member then you can send as many messages as you like.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 25/07/2012 05:28  

I joined the site in October, and was only looking for Friends to ride out with after a 27 year relationship had gone stale, but I found that I was only getting Nods and PM's from Ladies that wanted to be pillion (which is fine) but I wasn't ready (no pilly for over a year), then the other week I thought I'll put that I was looking for a Female as I was getting no male Interest (for riding Buddy), so I concur that this is mainly a Dating site? There are lot of nice people on here but most that I can relate too are 100+ miles away, but I'll meet some soon at Squires or the KISS meet I guess! I still like Nodding, but I PM if I have something to say! Tel.

Update Reply
Viking Tel @ 25/07/2012 06:54  

You nod away Tel, and others too, it's nice that we have a choice. If the recipient nods back do you follow it up with a PM or just leave it? I ask cos when I have responded to a nod, with a return nod, the sender leaves it at that, hence my comment, 'what's the point?' BTW BM isn't mainly a dating site, not anymore, it started life as a dating site, but grew into something much more. It's the best/friendliest biker social site on the web. IMHO

Update Reply
Sandi @ 25/07/2012 07:01  

I return Nods, but don't follow it up with a PM unless I have a comment to make, Like Lulu said: Most times when I have sent them in return to someone who has nodded at me, they instantly send me PMs wanting to chat and to be honest I just don't want to talk to them.... Im only replying with a nod thats all....(which is what I do on the road) I don't want to be thought of as a Stalker! (and I'm scared to Nod Lulu)

Update Reply
Viking Tel @ 25/07/2012 07:11  

Yes, Tel, that just leads me back to my comment about some members seeing a nod as a 'toe in the water' if they get a nod in reply they see that as an invite to PM. Hence my other comment about nods on here being confusing. As they say in court 'I rest my case' lol

Update Reply
Sandi @ 25/07/2012 07:21  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email