MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Backfire noises (from the bike not me lol) Help please!

Backfire noises (from the bike not me lol) Help please! - Forums [Biker Match] Backfire noises (from the bike not me lol) Help please! - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Backfire noises (from the bike not me lol) Help please!

I ride a Harley Davidson Road King, I noticed last weekend when I was riding down Sutton Bank on my way home from the Farmyard that I was hearing some fairly loud back firing from the exhausts . I was in a low gear for the gradient of the hill, not sure if this is normal or if there is something wrong ? Can anyone help with advice please. Many thanks in advance

Update Reply
BOBKAT @ 24/06/2012 16:04  

All my last 9 bikes (ducati's)
Have done this, AFTER I fitted "after Market"
Systems (exhaust/ecu chip)

Think maybe twins prone to it?
Happens more on over-run though?
(when been going faster, then shutting throttle
Off completely?)

It great isn't it he he :-))

Update Reply
oldyeti @ 24/06/2012 17:08  

I don't think you have a serious problem there BK It sounds like unburned fuel igniting in the exhaust on the "over-run" Which can happen in prolonged deceleration As you were on Sutton Bank that is a very likely place for it to show up I assume that this was a "rare" event (backfiring) for you and your bike If its not doing when you "shut off" normally I wouldn't worry But there are plenty of HD "experts" on here so I may be proved wrong

Update Reply
Emzed @ 24/06/2012 17:18  

Exactly wot emzed sed you'll hear it mainly when sports bikes are shutting off for cornirs and coming down the box when engine is on over run. just build up of fuel in chamber. if exhaust was short enough you'd get flames as well. now there's an idea.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 24/06/2012 17:57  

As above (bluesbiker)
That's my fav way of "discouraging"
Boy (or girl) racers, driving too close in slow
Moving tragic (in town)
Even better in a tunnel with a big twin,
Am sure this is why I keep melting the
Right side of my number- plate and indicator
:-))

Update Reply
oldyeti @ 24/06/2012 19:05  

I get feckin great flames coming out of my pipes if I try really hard

Update Reply
JP @ 24/06/2012 19:21  

me too jp but don't have to try too hard just shut off and open throttle a little will pop and bang and may get flames my mazda also spits flames

Update Reply
apriliamad @ 24/06/2012 21:25  

Is it the rotary engined Mazda apriliamad Rotary engines are well known for serious over-run detonations as they only really like to rev, not slow down I've seen the "factory" Norton's shooting a foot or more of flames out the back Sure made the following riders "back off" into the hairpin

Update Reply
Emzed @ 24/06/2012 21:34  

yes emzed rotary lump no cat and straight though system in stainless

Update Reply
apriliamad @ 24/06/2012 22:27  

Wicked mate Trust a biker to go for sumat "out the ordinary" I'd love to put that lump in an outfit I think rear tyres might not last very long But it would be great fun while they lasted Sorry BK for "hijacking" your thread

Update Reply
Emzed @ 24/06/2012 22:52  

does sound like overrun...my kwak does it and all.....great fun!

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 25/06/2012 12:22  

A few Raptor and TL 1000 owners have known this. If it's not a normal part of the bike's running, it may be a leaky exhaust gasket/joint.

Update Reply
Weirdoraptor @ 25/06/2012 12:36  

I get it too Katie on overrun, minus the flames! lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/06/2012 16:20  

There you have it BK In a "nutshell" if it's only happened the once (or very rarely) Then in all probability it's what I said in the earlier post Unburnt fuel igniting in the exhaust As Wierdoraptor says though, you can get similar symptoms (If it is happening on a regular basis) When you have a "leaky" exhaust system which will draw air in on the "overrun" (There are a few "technical" explanations for this phenomena, but you don't need to know them) So "I" don't think you need to worry Hope this helps to put your mind at rest

Update Reply
Emzed @ 25/06/2012 16:45  

Thank you all very much for your advice, my mind is at ease - it's all a big learning curve.

Update Reply
BOBKAT @ 02/07/2012 20:10  

Hi Bobkat, My T100 Bonnie does it as well, it's got aftermarket pipes on and it sounds "Magnificent" yar.
I agree with all that has been siad, unburnt fuel in the exhaust system, absolutely correct!
Mark
Possum51181

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/07/2012 21:46  

my sportster does it too on deceleration sometimes, i love it - i thought maybe it was due to "leaky" exhaust system bt from reading above i guess it would do it all time if this was case. which pipes have you got on your beastie BK? xx

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/07/2012 23:05  

Unburnt fuel in the exhaust system shouldn't be normal - it might sound good occassionaly - but I'd be checking other things with suspicion. Could be a weak ignition coil, lead or plug , if it happens at start up?

Update Reply
garymontego @ 28/07/2012 10:04  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email