MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Help, my side car failed it's MOT miserably!

Help, my side car failed it's MOT miserably! (3) - Forums [Biker Match] Help, my side car failed it's MOT miserably! (3) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Help, my side car failed it's MOT miserably!

Yayyyy that's great news Emma! Looking forward to meeting Claude someday soon

Update Reply
Karey @ 23/06/2012 10:26  

Thanks Paul, I'd really like that.

And thanks Karey... He's looking forward to meeting you too ( he's got his doggles and scarf at the ready! )

I better get practising...Aargh!

x

Update Reply
Eight @ 23/06/2012 10:43  

ahh you got it sorted I know of a garage in derby thats preatty good if you ever get stuck Glad your getting back on two wheels if we get some sun should be a good summer :)

Update Reply
cavywavy @ 26/06/2012 18:27  

Thanks, Cavywavy, gonna take some practice but should be out to play soon,

Emma

Update Reply
Eight @ 26/06/2012 21:12  

Hope you make pilly day Emma + Claude, be great to see you both there .. x

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/06/2012 22:04  

Ah thanks sweetie, Claude's getting a bit fair weather in his old age, so might just be me!

Fingers crossed for some good weather,

E & C x

Update Reply
Eight @ 27/06/2012 19:53  

Brilliant Emma love.... see you there x

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/06/2012 21:02  

Emma, as we discussed on Sunday, your outfit needs "setting up" My plans for this week were sadly thrown awry by dodgy clutch But I WILL be down to yours to sort it for you And to give you some basic lessons in outfit riding Meanwhile try to take it back to the car park you used before and try some "gentle" figure 8's in both directions using throttle and front brake to make the outfit turn I'll PM you with firm date and time for my visit Stick with it hon, it's the most fun you can have with your leathers on when you get it right

Update Reply
Emzed @ 05/07/2012 14:58  

Apologies for hi-jacking this thread slightly but while the outfit experts are tuned in I have a question. I've been thinking of switching to an outfit mainly so I can take my dogs out with me (never did learn to drive one of those 4-wheeled things you see about the place). Done a bit of research and all was looking good until I came across a comment on one website that claimed although outfits are often ridden by people with physical disabilities that prevent them riding solo bikes their not always suitable because the extra twisting invloved in turning the bars can put extra strain on the lower back. As that is MY weakspot, a result of a slipped disc many years back, I was wondering what the opinion of you guys and gals out there is, does riding an outfit involve putting much extra strain on the lower back?

Update Reply
centurion @ 06/07/2012 11:01  

Don't u remember that nifty 3-wheeler at Bikewise? And it had a steering wheel! dogs cud sit behind u.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/07/2012 11:19  

A good outfit, correctly set up, is as easy to drive/ride as a solo I've ridden outfits all my life (off and on) and only ever had "fun" riding them But "badly aligned" outfits are a "pig" to ride even for an experienced pilot If they are not "set up" correctly they can be very scary even dangerous for a novice It should steer "hands off" in a straight line and only "normal" input on the bars will get you round corners The "natural" tendencies for the bike to "drive round the chair" when power is applied and for the "chair to come round the bike" when braking" (with front brake) Makes outfit riding a positive pleasure "Leading link" front forks" and or "hub centre steering" are a "must" for bigger outfits (IMHO) as they help the steering to to transfer the input in the "correct plane" for "upright" cornering (ala car) Pm me if you want further info Centurian I'd be happy to help

Update Reply
Emzed @ 06/07/2012 12:08  

Cheers emzed, I won't give up on the idea then and I'll mostly likely get back to you when I can take it further. And XK, that was nice sure enough but probably bloody expensive and at the end of the day more of a car than a proper bike!

Update Reply
centurion @ 06/07/2012 13:18  

i'm sure Em wud knok u up one (mates rates) ps - it wos a Yammy!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/07/2012 13:25  

And there you see, thats another thing against it!

Update Reply
centurion @ 06/07/2012 13:35  

No wurries mate You already have the ideal bike for a good outfit That "Flying Brick" of yours would be just the job Leading link forks (readily available at reasonable cost) Add sidecar and AWAY

Update Reply
Emzed @ 06/07/2012 14:50  

Hi Emma, have you got your outfit sorted yet? I know of a guy who regularly tests outfits, only thing is his MOT station is about 50 mile from yours.... He only does motorcycle MOT's.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 14/07/2012 09:54  

It's sorted now thanks Bluey She got it tested and I've had a look at it and done what I can for now to "improve" the handling But it's good to know for future tests

Update Reply
Emzed @ 14/07/2012 20:26  

Hey Bluey, Thanks for the info, as Emzed says it's great to know, thanks.

Centurion - My outfit's a handful ( to say the least ) and I am also prone to back pain but it's never triggered or exacerbated by riding her.

But my arms... there's another story!

I am very far from being a side car expert but if I can help at all, just let me know,

Emma and Claude x

Update Reply
Eight @ 14/07/2012 21:09  

have you been in touch with thses guys?? http://www.sidecars.org.uk

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/07/2012 11:10  

Yep, I have thanks

They're having a rally not far from here in August, which should be fun and they've put me in touch with someone who can make a screen and hood too. So it's all good.

Should be up and running just in time for winter...

Update Reply
Eight @ 17/07/2012 12:40  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email