MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Filtering is good for the environment!

Filtering is good for the environment! - Forums [Biker Match] Filtering is good for the environment! - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Filtering is good for the environment!

How can we get those bloody minded drivers to read this? You know the ones, 'If I'm stuck in traffic, everybody else should be. I can see a bike coming but I'm not letting them through!!' . . . . and thats just the ones who 'see' us!! http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/motorbikes/9272532/...ryone.html

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/05/2012 11:59  

Slidy I couldn't agree with you more, I've lost count as to how many times drivers actually pull in closer to the white line to prevent filtering. I'm always courteous to drivers who visibly pull over to let me through. I just don't understand the mentality of drivers that block bikers way - apart from they lacked cuddles as a child and are just angry grumpy people Thank you for highlighting that the Telegraph have interesting articles about biking, I clicked to read about the filtering and ended reading about the new guzzi cali lol. If more standard tabloids ran this type of article about filtering it might make a wee dent in the thoughtless drivers. Great thread Slidy

Update Reply
BOBKAT @ 22/05/2012 12:50  

Very interesting study results, wonder if Mr Clarkson will highlight it on Top Gear. Nice find Slidy.

Update Reply
old red @ 22/05/2012 13:14  

Very interesting, cheers Slidy. Why do the politicians and bureaucrats still ignore this stuff?!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/05/2012 20:55  

How can we get those bloody minded drivers to read this? Print copies off and put them underneath screen wipers on cars and other road vehicles? Notice boards in cafes and other places? Motorcycle dealers?

Update Reply
Sandi @ 23/05/2012 01:10  

It's bike envy, I'm sure.

@Bob's - trouble with your bike, it's like a tank coming through and probably scares most cars into panicking when they see you in their mirror! Especially with that Hat!!!!

Update Reply
YZFJohn @ 23/05/2012 12:23  

Excellent thread Slidy - thank you.

Good suggestion Sandi - might just keep a couple in my bike jacket pocket to shove in through their car window (while they are 'parked' in the queue) next time some pillock thinks he's ever going to stop me getting past, lol.

Update Reply
Riggy66 @ 23/05/2012 12:40  

Very good find slidy!! My problem is I'm far too chicken to filter in the first place.... hav to admit i feel a bit guilty turning into work on the bike knowing i hav two lads in that are thankful for decent kit and knowing the medics are all sneakily checking my veins out for easy access...
Caution for all though-beware of numpties emergency stopping and smidsy's because u really dont want me nursing u at airedale lol

Update Reply
mizzi @ 23/05/2012 13:09  

Posted this on my FB - brought up some interesting comments to say the least.
Living in south london, filtering is a way of life. Steel-toe capped DMs at the ready...

Update Reply
SouthLondonPhil @ 23/05/2012 13:59  

Rhetoric has its place Sandi. . . . Did you like reading the article though? Good to see things like this highlighted by mainstream press. I'll try putting it up in Motorcycle dealers (the tw*ts we want to read it don't frequent these places all that often) Screen wipers . . . . . . . Litter bugs! Cafes and other places? . . .next to the 'all day breakfast' menu? If even one person reads the article and takes notice, it's a job well done!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/05/2012 20:29  

Perhaps we should all bring it to the attention of our MP's /MEP's. (ducks beneath the parapet).

Update Reply
thehairyone @ 24/05/2012 22:31  

Slidy, I'm glad rhetoric has its place, but who is he? lol. Yes I did like the article, thanks. I should have said CAR dealers not M/C dealers.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 25/05/2012 10:12  

I just read this as "Flirting is good for the enviroment". Well it is certainly good for the soul, when i've had a few.........

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 13/06/2012 15:50  

I have actually seen drivers move several feet into the middle of the road to block bikes passing. I put it down to them being sad sods with inverted wedding tackle.

Update Reply
Gloom @ 13/06/2012 18:20  

Last week I was riding with a group of ladies waiting for one of them to arrive when we discovered that she had been filtering between the lines of traffic when a motorist pulled into her way deliberately, knocking her off her bike and when she picked herself up SHRUGGED at her through the window.... she couldn't do anything as she was riding alone and was vulnerable. No other motorists except another motorcyclist stopped to help her. Luckily no damage was done to her and her bike suffered just a broken clutch lever.

Update Reply
suzyamki @ 14/06/2012 09:06  

Did she get their reg no. ?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 14/06/2012 09:20  

Suzy - am afraid that if that happened to me I'd be needing a new lid for the amount of damage I'd cause using it on said car windows, mirror and a few panels.

I am sad to say that I have had to glare at, or verbally threaten more than one motorist but usually (oddly enough) they back off a bit when they realise it's a woman they're dealing with. So - did they want a fight, or not? Just goes to show how small-minded they all are

Update Reply
Riggy66 @ 14/06/2012 10:23  

Great find Slidy and great that The Telegraph has highlighted it. It would be even better if they made a prime-time documentary about this I was recently on a pilly with Geoff and we were filtering, when a police car sat in traffic suddenly decided to do a U-turn without indicating or obvioulsy checking his mirrors or putting his blues on, so I guess it was a case of 'I'm not sitting in this' rather than an emergency!! Thankfully Geoff managed to avoid him, but it just goes to show what us bikers are up against. I've also put this article on my FB page.

Update Reply
Karey @ 14/06/2012 12:00  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email