MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

gopro

gopro - Forums [Biker Match] gopro - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

gopro

Hi all Im looking to buy a gopro camera for my bike, the one interested in is the hero motorsports one. E bay and amazon seem to have deals on them but little confusing as to what fixing kit to get for bike. some come with everything but then paying for stuff dont need or ever use. If you have one advice on what you use be helpful thanks Rich

Update Reply
Sweeny Todd @ 09/05/2012 08:57  

bump

Update Reply
Sweeny Todd @ 11/05/2012 23:18  

I cant help you there mate, are there no reviews on the product?...

Update Reply
Laffo @ 11/05/2012 23:22  

Hi, thanks for the reply, Rich.

Update Reply
Sweeny Todd @ 11/05/2012 23:42  

Maybe folk will reply with the info you need tomorrow Sweeney .

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 11/05/2012 23:49  

Hi, Thanks for reply, yes i hope so. its just a small camera that fits on to the bike, just another toy to play with. Rich

Update Reply
Sweeny Todd @ 12/05/2012 00:10  

A needy one though, but you will get replies soon enough x

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 12/05/2012 00:20  

Just a thought, one of me pals has had a few cams,settled on a helmet cam, would that be an option for mounting?... His main reason was he had better control of the cam.

Update Reply
Laffo @ 12/05/2012 03:08  

And the manufacturers? Can they help you directly?

Update Reply
Matt @ 12/05/2012 12:26  

Hi there, I just bought a veho dv camera off amazon and although it won't win any oscars for quality it's a smart piece of kit, it's also small enough to fit inside my helmet just in front of my nose so it see's what i see and it's about one fifth the price of the go pro, if you do want the quality side of having the go pro though then i recommend going for the handlebar mount as opposed to and suction cup alternatives, as long as your bike doesn't have a dark fairing then the view shouldn't be impaired by the bike, bolt on ones are good too but they have the distinct drawback of leaving holes where you drilled them.

Update Reply
Gibson @ 12/05/2012 21:23  

Thanks everyone for the advice, I have at least got some more options and idea's to look at now.
Rich

Update Reply
Sweeny Todd @ 12/05/2012 21:40  

BLACK TACK like bluetac, only much much stronger and black -- should be able to get it from some of those extreme camera places --- bike mags use it to fix cameras, TopGear use it , loads of pro camera people use it --- and I do - its BRILLIANT !

Update Reply
chris.sheridan @ 16/05/2012 08:27  

Cheers, I will look into that.

Update Reply
Sweeny Todd @ 16/05/2012 21:04  

Bought a go pro a few months ago. Haven't used it on the bike yet - mostly used it skiing and sailing and a few times when I've used it rigged with other cameras for a professional job.

For it's price and size, it really is remarkable. Make sure it's the GoPro 2 you get and not the earlier version.

In terms of mounting - there is a ride-mount, which I think would fit most standard bars. It's a little plastic and flimsy and I suspect if using it on a v-twin it might vibrate itself off. First thing I would do is get an additional tether for it, for this eventuality.

There are some other good clamps and mounts out there:
http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/gopro-super-clamp-bar-mount.html might be a bit over-engineered and pricey, but will do the job, - I use a lot of Manfrotto gear in work and it's good quality and very robust.

Have a squiz at a blog post I wrote about the Go-Pro ealier:
http://www.purpleflame.com/blog/?p=976

Drop me a line if you need more info.

Cheers

P

Update Reply
SouthLondonPhil @ 18/05/2012 10:08  

Thanks Phil, some good, helpful advice there that I can check out. Rich.

Update Reply
Sweeny Todd @ 18/05/2012 21:11  

the gopro series are used in a lot of places. the medic cam on helecopter heros is one use. I have a 4kam dvr woth an external camera. Bit more complex to set up but i find it is the most flexible optopn. As for mounting if memory serves me correctly it has a standard 3/8" tripod mount. If they still do then look ar the RAM mounts. I think dogcam stock them. I have the camera mounted using a RAM mount.

Update Reply
Phil @ 15/06/2012 22:31  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email