MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Is Hi Vis a good idea?

Is Hi Vis a good idea? - Forums [Biker Match] Is Hi Vis a good idea? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Is Hi Vis a good idea?

I realise that there has been discussions on other forums regarding proposed new legislation, part of which is likely to include High Visibility clothing. I was interested in finding out WHO DOES WEAR hi vis in some form. Or who agrees in wearing such clothing? I must emphasise that this is not to discuss Hi Vis being forced upon us, as that has been gone into on another forum. Just if you wear it or agree with it's use.

Update Reply
davidneale @ 03/05/2012 19:57  

I dont wear Hi Vis as such but all my gear is textile and has hi viz strips built into it. And I dont belive its ever made a big diffrence, when I first started ridding I had a hi viz jacket and it didnt seem to stop anyone trying to nock me off. I belive the problem is more to do with ppl just not looking as I tide around I see the ones that do and they have always given me room know I was there. and I see those that dont the accident I had the other month was becuase the driver didnt look. dont matter if I was or wasnt wearing hi viz he would have still hit me. If they truly want to make a diffrence they should make it so insurance companys carnt do 50/50 and unless I was in the wrong dont side with the car driver. its the only way to make them look make them stop thinking of bikes as 2nd tier road users. And yes I know there are some planks on bikes to. and it may mean they get away with a few things that they shouldnt but for the mojority it will make car/van/bus/lorry drivers more thoughtfull on the roads if they run the risk of getting hit in the pocket. if I had my way for anyone not driving with due care I would slap points on to.

Update Reply
cavywavy @ 03/05/2012 20:10  

it all depends on what type of hi vis you get. The only safe type on a bike is a railway type, it is held together with velcro and comes in 3 pieces so if you get caught on a passing car its just comes apart. you dont get dragged down the road

Update Reply
JP @ 03/05/2012 20:19  

I sometimes wear a high vis (I got a think biker printed one) not sure it makes much difference but all depends on the weather too , esp if the sun is low in the sky I wear it or when rainy/foggy.....I like to think it makes me more visable and safer out there but who knows........nice to have the option and not to be forced into it...

Update Reply
X Beanz X @ 03/05/2012 20:32  

I've got a hi Viz....BUT I prefer to wear my Swan Yamaha Jacket (over me leathers) as it's BRIGHT YELLOW all over....so you can see ALL of me (well me top half anyway)...whether it makes any difference or not I don't know asI don't really go out that often...at the moment......

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 03/05/2012 21:16  

In my opinion - and it's a very humble one ... People who have never ridden a bike simply do not expect us to be in their way. Whether it's alongside them in traffic or at roundabouts etc.
I do my best to be visible but they text, listen to music, make calls and are chatting to passengers.
They sit in a comfortable, re-inforced metal box with air-bags and feel far too safe. As long as they feel nothing can harm them they will never consider that their actions could hurt any one else.
It really is up to us to be as visible (or audible) as possible. So I do wear a vis belt in the worse weather or when it's dark. It's my life after all.

Update Reply
Riggy66 @ 03/05/2012 21:30  

My jacket and waterproofs and packback all have Hi Viz stripes....if we can be more visible to those who sit in thrir metal cacoons I dont have a problem. If a bit of reflective tape makes me more visible to other less bike conscious road users and I arrive alive I dont mind

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/05/2012 21:50  

I used to wear a hi vis waistcoat and was almost railroaded out of the way, twice, by car drivers, both times while I was waiting in traffic in daylight. They were attempting to change lane, unfortunately they wanted the one I was in, at the exact same place. In my experience it made no difference.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 03/05/2012 22:06  

Last autumn I followed a motorcyclist in a Hi Vis jacket, some of the time he was visible but against the setting sun and autumn vegetation he was all but invisible, his bike which was black was visible. so good idea maybe, but i would like to see if there is any proof as to the value of Hi Vis for motorcyclists.
Out of curiosity, have you noticed that putting on a Santa suit at Christmas makes you instantly visible, perhaps red suits are the answer

Update Reply
thehairyone @ 03/05/2012 22:33  

my bike's headlight is fairly hi viz , my 44 ton truck is also quite conspicuous. They still pull out infront of me. There is none so blind as them that will not see. A 6 foot Xmas tree , fully lit on your back seat and the duckers will still crash into you . Some people should not be allowed to drive . . dressing up as a big banana will not protect you from the dummies . It'll just make you easier to find in the aftermath. Dusty ...

Update Reply
dustin666 @ 03/05/2012 22:36  

i have a waterproof hiviz jacket i wear over my leathers that i tend to wear if i'm doing a long haul/motorway trip... got several of the vests from when i had horses.. one says please pass wide and slow... lol been tempted to wear it lol

Update Reply
nondomesticgoddess @ 03/05/2012 22:41  

I don,t wear it , thats my choice but i do wonder by so many wearing it aren,t they feeding those in power that would make it compulsory .

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/05/2012 22:45  

firetrap I expect they, like me, probably thought/think they are safer when in reality we aren't. Like Dusty said, they just make it easier to find us in the aftermath.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 03/05/2012 23:18  

I never thought of that one Sandi !

Update Reply
davidneale @ 03/05/2012 23:21  

Neither did I David.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 03/05/2012 23:24  

I bought a textile jacket and chose it because its partly hi vis. But when driving my car I find I usually see the bikes headlight before I see any Hi Vis clothing the rider is wearing

Update Reply
Vladamir @ 04/05/2012 06:00  

MAG did a test on high viz kit at junctions and it seems it makes no difference unless it's moving across your vision. I personally don't like it and don't wear it while riding.

Update Reply
Gloom @ 04/05/2012 06:40  

Thanks for your response and keeping on thread so far people. I can see some interesting issues developing here. When I have received more feedback, I will summaries the responses. Where some people wear partly Hi Vis clothing, it would be good to know if that is Dayglow or night refective or both. Keep your answers coming please.

Update Reply
davidneale @ 04/05/2012 08:27  

There is one other point, when you do get knocked off you have a stronge case for the driver not looking and the police siding with you and prosicuting

Update Reply
JP @ 04/05/2012 08:53  

only the reflective strips are any good I remember a police officer testifying that hi-viz made no difference

often wear camo and can see car drivers pointing at me and shaking their heads at my guess thinking "what a twat" while I`m think thank God the twat didnt pull out and it would have been better if his/her dad had

to see they need to look

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/05/2012 09:49  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email