MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

School tells 17 year old 'Stop riding in or we'll expel you'

School tells 17 year old 'Stop riding in or we'll expel you' - Forums [Biker Match] School tells 17 year old 'Stop riding in or we'll expel you' - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

School tells 17 year old 'Stop riding in or we'll expel you'

A school has threatened to expel a 17-year-old if he carries on travelling in by motorcycle. Jack Deeley has twice been sent home from school for arriving on his Aprilia RS125. The Windsor High School and Sixth Form College says students are not allowed to travel by ‘motorised vehicle of any kind’ but Jack says other students park cars outside every day. Teachers last week told the sixth-form pupil he would be permanently excluded unless he left his bike at home. He plans to transfer at the end of the academic year but in the meantime is forced to travel by other means. The school, in Halesowen, West Midlands, said: ‘It has always been the case that Windsor students are not allowed to travel to school on a motorised vehicle of any kind. 'With the addition of the sixth-form the school reaffirmed this position to parents, students and our local community. ‘We place a high priority on making travel to and from school as safe as possible for all our students without creating additional traffic. It is also right to honour our commitments made to parents and the local community and it would be wrong to make an exception for any one individual.’ The school would not clarify whether the motorised vehicle policy applied to buses or parents dropping off children in cars. Lorraine Gaskell, PA to head teacher Keith Sorrell, said: ‘At this point, no further comment will be possible.’ Jack, from Halesowen, said: “For six months I was riding in but one day I parked the bike legally on the road where it was visible from the school and they made a big deal about it. Now they’ve said if I continue to go there by bike I will be excluded. “I know loads of students who park cars right outside the gates. One has a personalised number plate. “People drop kids off, people drive there. I think I’m just being singled out because the motorcycle is more noticeable. I pay my road tax so I can’t really see where the school is coming from.”<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p> <o:p> </o:p>

Update Reply
Sandi @ 01/05/2012 03:34  

Sounds like another classic, nanny state senario. I don't suppose the teachers drive in to school, do they? I don't see how a shool can dicate to a pupil what they do outside of school hours and off of the school premises. Surely there will be much more additional traffic caused by parents on the school run in their 4 x 4's and people carriers.

Update Reply
davidneale @ 01/05/2012 07:40  

As his parent i would check the schools policy and then attack it with everything i could regarding teachers journeys, dinner ladies etc, but i guarantee the policy only refers to students !!!

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 01/05/2012 09:07  

I bet whatever the outcome, the school has successfully disrupted his studies and risks destroying his motivation. Stupidity like this could ruin his achievement this year and set him on the road to being a complete cynic like us lot. I've seen this happen so many times over dreadlocks, hair colour, jewellery, or in my case the colour of my tights. Presumably he can ride a push bike in- and that's safer?

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 01/05/2012 09:31  

I think the policy the school has implemented is reasonable.

Students are not allowed to drive/ride to school.

The problem here is that they are not applying it to car drivers only to the poor lad on his scooter.

Pity I live so far away or I'd organise 15 - 20 bikers to give him a lift in and home every day for 2 weeks and see how they like that. Anyone local fancy taking the idea up?

Update Reply
Gloom @ 01/05/2012 18:11  

I would but I cant ride at the min due to falling off not a good add for bikes really lol

Update Reply
JP @ 01/05/2012 18:34  

brill idea Gloom - i too agree that if they stop him using a "mororised vehicle to get to school" then they must stop all the car drivers too.... grrrrrrrr.... just so typical of a school to pick on one pupil over and above the others...... let's hope they see sense and make it fair the - and like you say minni... is a push bike safer?? also aint it a good idea for younger ones to be getting the experience of riding / driving rather than save it for mad times out at weekends.... at least they get more experience and that way are safer for themselve and everyone else...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/05/2012 19:30  

OMG, how ridiculous is this ruling.

I can remember when I was at school (yes I know it's hard to believe before you all say it) that some of the older lads who'd turned 16 used to come to school on their mopeds and this guy 1 year older is being stopped by his school.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/05/2012 20:13  

not an educational issues the school should but out

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/05/2012 23:26  

I suspect that this guy is getting stick because he's Visible. Another car in the road outside is not really notable, but this kid is.
A better tack would be for him to list the car driving students and then ask the school to enforce the rule across the board. If they don't then they don't have a leg to stand on.
Let them hang themselves.

Update Reply
GreyGra @ 05/05/2012 21:40  

I don't see how a school can enforce how you get there and obviously his parents are ok with it. How can school rules apply to outside school hours?
I remember one of our 6th formers coming to school on a scooter and no-one stopped her. It was an all girls' school and that was in 197?????something or other

Update Reply
HippyRockChick @ 24/06/2012 21:49  

Yea But Ang modern scooters have engines and petrol and stuff. not just a plate to put yer foot on. Our school was just happy if you turned up.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 24/06/2012 22:03  

Update Reply
HippyRockChick @ 24/06/2012 22:36  

When my ex-wife was in the 6th form (back in the late 1970's) she once got in trouble for allowing her pre-unit Triumph to drip oil in the bike sheds!

Update Reply
centurion @ 25/06/2012 19:08  

Go let the air out of the head's tyres

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/06/2012 19:19  

I had a similar problem at school back in the 70's. We were supposed to wear a cap to and from school and I got dragged into the headmaster's office for wearing a helmet instead.

Update Reply
ribek @ 09/07/2012 11:28  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email