MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

I don't understand insurance companies!

I don't understand insurance companies! - Forums [Biker Match] I don't understand insurance companies! - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

I don't understand insurance companies!

Can someone explain this cos I'm baffled?

I sold my ZRX a few weeks back, and haven't found my next set of wheels. With the rally season coming up my mate Rocket offered to lend me one for a while. Sine my insurance was about to expire I rang Hastings up to ask what I needed to do.
Here comes the mind boggling bit.....
If the bike was mine they would charge me £77 fully comp (and I could borrow and ride any bike), since it wasn't they need £768 for third party only!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes. I know we could put the bike into my name but that adds two extra keepers to the V5 and so affects the value of the bike.

I don't understand the thinking

G

Update Reply
GreyGra @ 15/04/2012 21:35  

Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a cheap bag of SH*TE bike and insure it without the intention of using it then borrow your mates bike???

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/04/2012 21:37  

yus i see what ya mean Grey ... coudnt you have said you still have your ZRX and then you could have rode it on your own insurance... they are a law of their own insurance. it dont seem to make sense tho to me!! or maybe its been a long day and its too complex for me to get me head round... either that or its bowlax!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/04/2012 21:39  

Like the thinking BBZ, I may do that.

Update Reply
GreyGra @ 15/04/2012 21:49  

talking about insurance companies, avoid aviva like the plague. they are con men and liars

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/04/2012 23:26  

Can you not go on your mates insurance Grey?

Update Reply
feistygirl @ 16/04/2012 13:29  

It might be worth looking at how much they would charge you for a policy to ride any bike. A colleague of mine has a policy where he can ride any bike and it costs him £98 a year fully comp. ut yes i agree insurance companies are knbs!

Update Reply
OMNF @ 16/04/2012 15:53  

Hey Busa, tell me more about Aviva. Carole Nash are currently trying to sell me a policy with Aviva for £185, fully comp on my 2 bikes compared with the £320 renewal with Equity Red Star also through Carol Nash. That would obviously be quite a saving but if you've had a bad experience with Aviva.....

Update Reply
centurion @ 16/04/2012 16:59  

OK, here's another oddity that I have just had spelled out to me by a broker while phoning around for a quote on my 2 bikes. Apperently, its ALLOT cheaper tp insure a classic bike (any bike over 25 years old) and add a modern bike to the policy than to insure a modern bike and add a classic bike to that policy, and yet under both policies both bikes would be fully covered, go figure

Update Reply
centurion @ 16/04/2012 17:37  

GreyGra knowingly making a false statement on an insurance form ie listing a bike you no longer own as yours will invalidate the insurance. The idea to try to get on your mates insurance for the bike is a good one. I currently have a mate on mine and after they ran the numbers it added exactly 15p for the year.

centurion most policies assume that the first bike you list is your main ride and the others are occasional rides.

Update Reply
Gloom @ 16/04/2012 19:40  

I was just about to say what Gloom has said, no point insuring a bike then riding another as any claim will be invalid and you may get prosecuted for making a flase declaration and claim.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 17/04/2012 12:14  

They won't let my mate put me onto the insurance as he has a multibike policy. The whole thing just seems ridiculous. Thanks for all the suggestions, I will let you know what solution I come up with.

G

Update Reply
GreyGra @ 22/04/2012 17:15  

just to add and in response to Centurion phoning around.... go take a look at Moneysavingexpert.com - they have a few comparison things for bike insurance and give you the cheapest which you can then ring and see what htey do actually offer i do think its worth checking out the above website for loads of stuff about money its a fantastic website on the consumers side for a change

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/04/2012 18:22  

My solution is..............................................to go out and buy a new bike. ZZR 6 collected today. Woo hoo

Update Reply
GreyGra @ 04/05/2012 19:15  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email