MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Poor headlamp

Poor headlamp - Forums [Biker Match] Poor headlamp - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Poor headlamp

Hi all,

I've got a Yamaha XT125X and whilst it's a nice bike to ride and cheap as chips to run the one major problem I have is with it is the headlamp.

As standard it comes with an H4 P43t bulb which is 35w dipped and 35w main beam which is pretty dire on unlit roads.

I've tried upgrading to a normal H4 55w dipped, 60w main bulb, as the connections mean you can fit an H4 into a H4 P43t, but not the other way around.

Whilst this has provided a brighter puddle of light in front of the bike, it still doesn't cast it very far down the road. I know the reflector and lens are probably the main culprit here, therefore can anyone suggest ways of improving the headlamp, or even suggest different headlamps that could be made to fit on a limited budget?

Cheers

James

Update Reply
james-newbiker @ 08/04/2012 14:56  

try an 100 what bulb james

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 09/04/2012 01:05  

you should be able to get that bulb in a 60/55W which used to be pretty much the standard. be careful going much higher as I'm not sure of the legality of higher watt rated bulbs.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/04/2012 01:33  

I think you will find 100 watt bulbs are not legal on the road. When I did off road racing, we used 100 watt bulbs for night races, but we had to show our competition license before the supplier could sell them to us.

Update Reply
davidneale @ 09/04/2012 02:06  

Hi all,

I have looked at 100w bulbs, and David you're right they are marked on the box as 'Off Road Use Only', however a certain large autoparts retailer called H******s sells these alongside the 'E' marked road legal ones without checking anything. I use a couple of 130w bulbs in my car just for the main beam, and they will light up a road sign at over a mile away. Been using these for about 4-years and it always gets through the MOT.

The other problem that might happen with a 100w bulb is possibly burning out a connector or even some of the wiring. Plus I've heard of cases where the plastic lens has melted due to the increased heat.

I have been toying with the idea of fitting one of these aftermarket HID bulbs that are supposed to be a direct replacement for an H4 bulb, has anyone fitted one, what are they like?

Cheers

James

Update Reply
james-newbiker @ 09/04/2012 15:26  

I used a 100/130 bulb in one bike and it melted the connector block on back of bulb, so went down to 80/100 and was ok. Ensure your alternator output is up to it any changes on small bike.

Update Reply
harry worth @ 09/04/2012 23:44  

I may have another solution, a couple of small 55w each spotlamps bolted on.

In terms of wiring them up I believe there are two options:

Option 1:
Wire these through the main beam circuit, so that it only operates when the main beam switch is flicked.

Option 2:
Wire them direct to the battery, with a separate switch, so it operates independent to the existing lighting circuit.

The problem with Option 1 is wondering if wiring through the main beam switch could overload it, as there would be 60w from the H4 bulb, plus 110w from the two spotlights making 170w total.

Option 2 is more viable, just need to source a suitable waterproof switch for mounting on the bars.

If anyone has got any ideas/hints/tips that could help, they'd all be gratefully received.

Update Reply
james-newbiker @ 12/04/2012 01:19  

james you would be best wiring them through a relay, the relay only use's a small amount of power so you could connect it to the any of the light, dont forget to use a fuse as well, you should be able to get a suitable switch of ebay

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 12/04/2012 01:41  

First off you'd need to know the alternator output before you decide on any route. It's unlikely that the switch would-be the limiting factor with ref' spots etc but the wiring might-be. That would determine how/whether a relay would-be used.
Another option would-be to use only one spot to "fill-in" anything you find inadequate.

Update Reply
invalid characters @ 12/04/2012 12:31  

I've got a relay ready to fit, however as my bike already has one for the headlamp, do I still need to fit another one for the spots?

The one spot light is something I'd wondered about, as it's really only the main beam use on unlit roads that needs the help.

I don't suppose anyone knows the alternator output for an XT125X do they? Can't seem to find it anywhere, even the Haynes manual doesn't seem to have it.

Update Reply
james-newbiker @ 13/04/2012 02:40  

Got no idea on the output I'm afraid and the wiring diagram I found on-line was for a 2005 model and no relay shown. This would probably indicate that Yamaha thought the switch wasn't suitable for the current and/or they've changed it. Either way a relay should-be used.
You will only need another relay if there's no spare contacts on the one that is fitted. Don't be tempted to wire it in parallel using the existing relay.

Update Reply
invalid characters @ 13/04/2012 12:29  

James, you shouldn't need anything other than a 55w xenon silver or blue. I had the same problem with my Sportster where I couldn't see past the front wheel and the xenons did the trick no worries.

Update Reply
bomb doctor @ 16/04/2012 22:49  

Hi james i have uprated my bulbs on my fireblade to the hid kit much better less power and sure gets you noticed by car drivers :) kit is around £30 and takes aroun 15 mins to fit Just a thought for you to add to the other ideas on here Mr Blade Paul

Update Reply
mr blade @ 25/05/2012 13:55  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email