MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Running rough

Running rough - Forums [Biker Match] Running rough - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Running rough

dose anybody have any ideas about carbs ? my daytona 900 triple runs smooth until warm to hot when it starts to stumble alittle ive noticed when ive had the revs up that i come to a corner and it seams to spluter when i open the throttle up to a 1/4 open ive got some ideas as to what it may be but thought id run it by see what you thought dirt in carb lifting up after high revs ? not convinced with this one bucket and shims getting hot and gap changeing ? spark plugs may need gapping ? i dont fancy just stripping it down for sake of it as its not winter yet so hat do you think may be happening guys ? any help greatly recieved thanks

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 28/06/2010 16:29  

Dammit!! Thought 'nunning' was like 'dogging' but kinkier..... we all love a bad habit.... ok... shutting up now... back to carbs!!

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 28/06/2010 16:35  

My 900 Trident does the opposite! Lumpy bumpy in low revs but fine when you open her up. Candles at dawn girls

Update Reply
Rattay @ 28/06/2010 16:54  

woops i sliped can some sort that spelling mistake out for me ment to put running not nunning lol but yeh dose sound a bad habit lol

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 28/06/2010 17:38  

that dose sound like dirty jets rattay crossover jets sound blocked dose it work ok with choke on ?

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 28/06/2010 18:09  

Spent ages looking at carbs, hoses, fuel tap etc when i had a similar problem with my 900 trophy. Then looked at plugs, leads, coils, etc. measured all resistance with ohmeter, then took it somewhere with rolling road before i pulled out all my hair. It was a coil breaking down under load, as soon as it got past 3500 revs, coughed and spluttered like it had an 80 a day habit!! Didnt notice any difference warm or cold, so yours doesnt sound the same, but worth a look.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 28/06/2010 18:43  

it worth a look at that but it runs fine at revs is only when i go to open throtle again that it dose it but thanks ill check the coil out when i take plugs out

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 28/06/2010 18:46  

hey slidy looks like you may be right i have just found a write up about the daytona saying that the ignition pick up coils breakdown under heat and cause low rpm misfiring ( pratcal sportsbike mag ) so i will defo look into them first must say it dont feel like a 100 bhp bike at moment

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 28/06/2010 21:10  

renamed for you :-)

Update Reply
Matt @ 30/06/2010 10:57  

Thanks Matt

Update Reply
Sandi @ 30/06/2010 10:59  

Will check the jets WN but the choke is very temperamental on mine. You need to put it on full in nearly all weather's but turn it off after about 10 seconds. If you forget and ride off with it on it will cut out within a few hundred metres. Spark plugs are the correct colour and carbs are balanced, so jets maybe the next thing to check.

Update Reply
Rattay @ 30/06/2010 11:57  

hope you sort it WN, I spent ages checking fuel issues, then electrics. Finally took it to Lee Motorcycles in Ledbury, told him what i had already checked and my thoughts about coils. I left it with them, took a walk around town, got back 1 hour later to find the bike ready for collection with a bill of just over £100 for a new coil and set of plugs(for good measure!) . . . . had four weeks off the road, and they said i wouldnt've found it without the rolling road, as coils were showing good on meter when it was standing. Good luck

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/06/2010 12:59  

cheers slidy have got a dyno test place in hull im going to try thought id take it in before i do any thing to it then after because im looking to put K&N's and free'er breathing pipes on it want to see if any diffrence for the better i hope lol ratty they do take some warming up these triples i allways let mine run while i get ready then it dosent take so long to warm up apperently if your having trouble starting them then it could be down to the bucket and shims need doing

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 01/07/2010 21:30  

Check air screws are all adjusted the same and pilot jets are clear. Have you had the carbs balanced recently?

Update Reply
yamahama @ 01/07/2010 22:19  

have you checked the fuel filters on petrol tank and carbs , sounds like possible fuel ristriction problem. maybe fuel tap itself.

Update Reply
firebladejohn @ 24/07/2010 01:48  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email