MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Newbies Forum

Finally time to enjoy...

Finally time to enjoy... - Forums [Biker Match] Finally time to enjoy... - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Newbies Forum /

Finally time to enjoy...

Hi All,
Been riding for years but I seem to have always been pressed for time - in fact, long as I can recall I'm only seem to have been riding for commuting or visiting clients (even though some of these have been distant).

I'm a chartered software developer, lecture to graduate level and currently finishing an MA in Design - hopefully starting a PHd in September. It's these last two that have finally given me some time - my final design projects are M/C related so I can honestly justify time for riding under my own jurisdiction for a while!

Might be organising some trips soon in connection with a project I have starting, so watch this space.

regards to all.

BTW. Profile image coming - I take thousands of photographs and video, but never seem to have any of myself. Working on it!

Update Reply
Pharaoh @ 21/01/2012 20:00  

Will watch this space in anticipation, Pharaoh

Spill the beans re your design projects...sound good :>

Update Reply
Alice2 @ 21/01/2012 22:27  

Welcome Pharaoh, jump right in and enjoy project has got me wondering, so spill the beanz pse

Update Reply
bomb doctor @ 22/01/2012 08:08  

Thanks peeps.

A few people have asked about the project(s) on-site.

The first is in connection with the courses, and at present I'm not totally sure what to say about it for various academic reasons. The title of the project I'm doing for the course is 'Interface: Man and Machine', and the one that I hope to do for the Phd is 'Man as Machine' (this latter, I hope to take off in September, but as we are moving our entire IT HE unit to Maidstone for September start, I may not have time to get the proposal done).

All I'll say for now is that I hope to get a set of mock-up helmets made up with certain hardware embedded in them, a set of video / CG simulations based upon real helmet camera views (I never ride without mine, so that's the easy part), and a set of data gathering sensors programmed for a third simulation.

The final unit of the course (starting in about 15 weeks time) is about dissemination of the project, so I'll be putting up an exhibition or similar somewhere (The Historic Dockside, Chatham, is a likely target at present). I'll therefore post details of that nearer the time - even if you hate the result, it'll give people an excuse for a ride out :)

The second project, which is really suited to other BM'er involvement is called 'Road to Ruin' - it involves road trips to historic sites then the production of video documentaries. A lot from the point of view of the biking experience, otherwise also looking at artistic side of things as well.

The inauguration project will be a trip up to my homeland in Durham, taking in Durham itself and Beamish museum - from there, the project is open based upon the vast collection of English Heritage and National Trust properties we have the country.

BTW. I know the rules of the site state no linking etc. but does this apply to your own non-commercial images / videos which are off-site? As this goes on for example, I may have a few that people would be interested in (as unlisted YouTube videos). As I interpret, the rules, these would also not be allowed. Is that correct?

This is also true of the film-making projects I have going - I often make videos / documentaries of destinations that I visit - hopefully in future with other BM'ers. I'm guessing that links to these are out too?

Update Reply
Pharaoh @ 22/01/2012 09:24  

Pharaoh, sounds like interestin stuff, look forward to your post and stuff you organise, hopefully time permitting I'll get along for a nosey. with regards to the questions on legalities and that, drop a thread on the BM site issues/requests page or pm Matt direct. It's his site so he'll have the answers to your questions

Update Reply
bomb doctor @ 22/01/2012 09:38  

Folk post youtube links all the time, even Matt.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 22/01/2012 10:32  

Okaydook...

To give a taster, this was the last one that we did (actually, more bike related than normal even though it's not the best due to circumstances...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vsu50NnIzw&t=17s

If the mods feel it's not appropriate, please feel free to remove it - but in this case, I think that it will be interesting to site members both in content, and the type of think I'd like to arrange for ride outs (though mostly within the UK).

As I think it mentions (or at least hints at) in the video, I want to ride down to Galicia (Spain) with my helmet cameras etc. to do justice to this one. I really want to get pictures of Seve actually riding the bikes shown.

If you don't understand the language - just go with it. Subtitles begin a few seconds in ;)

Update Reply
Pharaoh @ 22/01/2012 17:33  

Clickable link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vsu50NnIzw&t=17s <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Update Reply
Sandi @ 22/01/2012 21:03  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email