MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

BM Website Issues/Help Requests

Timeline in Chat box?

Timeline in Chat box? (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Timeline in Chat box? (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / BM Website Issues/Help Requests /

Timeline in Chat box?

make or break time.. "constructive criticism alert":

"the problem with that then is that nobody will go into the chatroom.
It's been suggested before and I decided against the idea.
If everyone sees the last post was 4 hours ago - nobody will go into it. Whereas if you don't know, you'll open the chat to have a look. Because it's a popup window you'll be likely to then leave it open until someone else logs in."

Everyone who has an opinion on this has disagreed, Matt.
What about the basic "No.of members in Chat: ...." ?

Whilst I commend you on building the forum yourself, I see no sense in all the 'deliberate' omissions (email notifications, basic Chat features, Firefox users, whatever). Please correct me if I'm wrong, but technical problems would surely have been overcome in the years the site has been running(?) It's an ongoing process, right?

I can't base it on anything, but I'm Sure more members would be inclined to take out subscriptions on a fully-featured forum.. especially if it had an area where Standard members could post (containing only the current 'Newbies' sub-forum?) - and see what they're missing..

(Personally) I see the £5 or £6 /month as payment for (potentially) meeting a great bunch of like-minded bike-lovers.. the rally/camping/party side of things. Whether I can justify renewing the subs or not before Xmas is a decision for later.

Take it or leave it, delete it or not, its jmho.
Steve

Update Reply
Junction47 @ 14/11/2011 18:20  

It all works ok for me, its only a click of a button to se if any one is still in, if not you only have to put some posts on and often someone will come in and join you, it easy to see if anyone is talking in there when your on the site as you see the new posts coming up. Why change something that works lets keep it simple.

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 14/11/2011 23:24  

Bill, thanks for your input.. I've seen you (and lots of others) go into chat numerous times and leave a few posts thinking someone is in there, or about to join, before posting a 'bye' or 'later' message. Happened again today, am I right?
Truth is mate, it Can be improved on, even if it's something as simple as the 'no.of ppl in chat' suggestion..

heh, you only have to put up with me for another month ;)

Update Reply
Junction47 @ 15/11/2011 00:18  

just been in now, no one was there but no problem, i dont se how a time line would help my as i'm quite happy just poping in now and again to say hello

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 15/11/2011 00:24  

that suits people who don't mind going into an empty chatroom and waiting. If the chatroom had a timeline or counter people can still go into the empty chatroom if they so wish, but those Not wishing to wait around/leave msgs can choose not to.. best of both worlds?

n/m Bill, it's just me blowing the leaves. If Matt specifically wants the forum & chatroom as it then I guess that's it, it is his forum after all.

steve

Update Reply
Junction47 @ 15/11/2011 01:01  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email