MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Mud on roads...

Mud on roads... - Forums [Biker Match] Mud on roads... - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Mud on roads...

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that mud left on the roads by agricultural vehicles had to be cleared up or at very least, a sign warning motorists that it's there. What's happened to that as I never saw signs whilst venturing out and encountering the slippy stuff. And how do we go about claiming if we do happen to come off because of it?

Your thoughts and suggestions please.

Update Reply
gixergal @ 10/09/2011 16:32  

good question, being out in lincolnshire like your good self and the summer that we've had, it's shocking the amount on the road at the moment. P.s. had a ride out on one of the best roads i've ever been on. not sure if you know the road from Market Rasen through binbrook at out to laceby, fan'bloody' tastic, coming from willy woods do a right at the lights in rasen and follow it for about 15 miles of pure bliss

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/09/2011 16:41  

I thought it was just the same as an ‘Act of God thing' same as with horse faeces etc and we can do nothing about it?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/09/2011 16:41  

@ Dave: know the road you're on about...certainly has plenty of grin factor

@ Ronaldo: Surely the mud that's left on the road does not come under an 'Act of God' thing...unless farmers are now known as 'Gods'. Mud on the road is as bad if not worse than diesel spills as the farmer knows he's going to be leaving it on the road.

Update Reply
gixergal @ 10/09/2011 17:07  

In all seriousness what I meant was in thinking; country roads one has to expect mud, animal faeces, dead animals as-might-as-well-be as similar to an “act of God.” Sorry, I didn’t quite get it right.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/09/2011 17:37  

Mud left on the road by anyone is an offence under the 1972 RTA, however you then have to prove who was responsible for the deposit...now days plod do not do much proper policing...There are lots of offences comitted nowdays that dont get the proper attention from plod

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/09/2011 18:24  

Yeh...loads on roads around Squires too. Round here the farmers do give it a good washing after they finish (if it's not rained) but can be on the roads for a few days WHILST they get finished. Reckon next weeks weather forecast will sort this one out

Update Reply
Alice2 @ 10/09/2011 18:29  

unfortunatley the time of year dictates that we will be open more than ever to this particular hazard no matter where we are

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/09/2011 18:30  

Gixergal; yep, they should advise motorists of the danger.
Hard to police, cos they can say they're off to get the sign now, etc...
And, if there's not alot of it, the police won't bother themselves with it.
As Ronaldo says... if it is a country road, you should expect mud to be there!!!

BUT... should you suffer damage, then take some pictures of the "absence" of signs and let the insurance company have em.

Update Reply
justjerry @ 10/09/2011 18:31  

Thanks for that JJ, shoei611....

Having said that, there's mud on some 'A' roads too! Whilst I acknowledge that mud on the roads is unavoidable this time of year, surely the farmer has a responsibility to other road users. Should I suffer damage then I want to claim off those responsible and not my own insurance. Premiums have gone up as it is without adding to it via a claim.

Update Reply
gixergal @ 10/09/2011 18:57  

Never mind Mud, What about all these sheep??

Update Reply
Falcon46 @ 11/09/2011 16:37  

Just report to it your local police station, if you can find one thats actually open of couse, The one in Horsham is shut most of the time how stupid is that !! Every time i see something like diesel or mud or some other hazzard to bikes on the road i report it to my local nick, we pay ££££'s for them so lets get them working on our behalf.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 12/09/2011 21:13  

The possibility of mud must be signposted .. And cleaned up .. It is why I have to keep ordering roadsweepers .

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 12/09/2011 21:15  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email