MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Bike been sat for awhile

Bike been sat for awhile - Forums [Biker Match] Bike been sat for awhile - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Bike been sat for awhile

My Bandit 600 has been sat for a while now. I've bought new plugs and battery for her but is there anything I should do once I've put these on the bike. (Apart from the obvious....start it!) She hasn't been sat before for any longer than a week so don't know procedure. Any advice as I don't what to have a major moment!

Update Reply
EYES600 @ 06/09/2011 21:37  

How long has your bandit 600 been stood ?

Update Reply
PaulXXX @ 06/09/2011 21:50  

You might have a little bit of fuel in the carbs that has deteriorated, leaving a 'varnish' type stuff in there,. that can block the odd jet up. I don't know it its got a paper or foam type air-cleaner element, but the foam ones dry out while standing. Make sure you check the tyre pressures before going out on it, and if its been parked outside, esp in the sun, have a little look round the sidewall of the tyres,.. the side that's been in the sun the most, some of the cheaper ones can crack. And on your first ride, just take a couple of bulbs with you, and obviously the bikes tool-kit somewhere,.. I've had condensation on the switch contacts, (in a warm garage over winter) which can tarnish then blow the again, 'cheaper' make of bulbs, when used for the first after winter tootle. Those are the only weird little ones that have caught me out over the years,.. besides the obvious.

Update Reply
Paj1369 @ 06/09/2011 22:32  

While plugs are out spin it over to pump some oil around while engine is unloaded, if you can drain the carbs do so to get rid of dead fuel.

Update Reply
harry worth @ 06/09/2011 23:51  

Cheers for the input guys. My bikes been stood since Nov 2010 Paulxxx sadly. I have checked both tyres, which are Bridgestone Battlax BT56R's, I like these not sure if there what you would call cheap as my pocket doesn't think so! Checked cables, throttle was sticky so stripped it down but couldn't find anything wrong with it so only hope its ok. Checked chain and sprockets but not lights extra as I haven't put the battery on her yet Paj1369. With the fuel, I have drained it all out, left her till next day then put a gallon of fresh petrol in the tank harryworth. But wasn't sure what else to do. Didn't know about the turn over with out plugs so thanks for that.

Update Reply
EYES600 @ 07/09/2011 20:08  

Battery, plugs, new fuel,leads. Then seek pro advice - cud be a multitude of probs.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/09/2011 20:19  

That why I'm asking all you dudes and dudettes! XKLYBR

Update Reply
EYES600 @ 07/09/2011 20:38  

I might be a bit out of date here, but do you still have to earth the plugs onto the cylinder head, if you crank the motor over with the starter,.. like when your testing for a spark?

Update Reply
Paj1369 @ 07/09/2011 20:42  

??

Update Reply
EYES600 @ 07/09/2011 20:48  

bump

Update Reply
harry worth @ 07/09/2011 21:31  

At this moment the new spark plugs, Battery and fresh petrol should sort your bike in starting up. But one thing i would have done was when you drained the old petrol and before putting the new petrol in was to turn the engine over so as to pump the oil round the engine. Once you had done that put the new petrol in and try starting it up, if it starts then let it tick over and warm up.

Sounds like you have checked most things but you have not mentioned the brakes ( material on pads and if sticking on ) Also clutch maybe sticking on, hopefully it is not.

Update Reply
PaulXXX @ 07/09/2011 22:05  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email