MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

gearing

gearing - Forums [Biker Match] gearing - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

gearing

hi i have a tiger 1050 and was thinking of changing the gearbox sprocket to one with 1 tooth bigger . now doe this have an effect on you speedo reading ? any help would be great ..... kev

Update Reply
mickyd @ 29/08/2011 19:49  

if its anything like the 995i then the speedo is in the front wheel hub.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 29/08/2011 20:46  

Hi Tcat , as far as i know the speedo is electronic as there are no cables etc going to the front wheel ....

Update Reply
mickyd @ 29/08/2011 20:54  

I would have said if its electronic its reading revs with standard gearing so will read slow if geared up at rear wheel. Triumph dealer should know in an instant.

Update Reply
harry worth @ 29/08/2011 21:11  

Look at your front wheel by the hub if you see a wire going up into the loom your electronics run from there if not check rear for same don't look at brake disk center as that would be abs if fitted
The only way it will read low or high is if it is run off the gearbox or you changed wheel rim size

Update Reply
JP @ 30/08/2011 07:08  

You'll need something called a speedo healer to recalibrate the speedo, check google they cost about £100 as i recall 1 tooth more at the gearbox will also drop your revs for a given speed and might make it more difficult to get on the power band, basically it lowers your thrust curve or in english lowers the drive you have for any gear, and could make it over geared, The only benefit in this mod is better fuel economy, The more benifical mod is with 1 tooth less it'll raise the gearing and give you more thrust in the gears, which is the more advantagous mod, did it on an R6 once it pulled like a train out of corners,

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/09/2011 22:01  

HI Guys , Thanks for all the replies and advice ! I think i will leave it as it is

Update Reply
mickyd @ 05/09/2011 17:58  

Hi guys. I ride a Busa and the speedo/revs pickup is at the front sprocket. My original gearing is 18/43. I have now changed that to 19/42 for these reasons...

A friend i was riding with to scotland was on an identical bike except that he was carrying a pillion, plus the guy was abou 4 stone heavier than me, BUT at the pumps we always put the same quantity of fuel in.....reason.....he had a smaller rear sprocket.

The other reason was that the speedo corrected itself.....first with the 18 to 19 tooth to 3% and then with the 43 to 42 tooth to exact.

I picked this combination because it was within tolerance of the chain length......be careful that you are within these tolerances or it will mean a new chain too, (might need one anyway?)

Riding it now is a little different. Needs a little revs to get going...before you could start moving off the clutch. Fast starts are less unnerving....wheelies more sedate and controllable.

Downside is that i need to use more gears now. I used to be able to pull from 20mph in 6th.....now thats more like 4th.

Just do it matey. If you dont like it, you can always put it back

Update Reply
mungybear @ 08/09/2011 12:11  

went up a tooth on the front om my thunderbird droped revs by 250/500 rpm pulls ok 25 mph in 6th no jerking at all with pilly on think its 65 mpg last time i checked

Update Reply
havfun @ 08/09/2011 20:11  

cheers guys i think i will give it a try

Update Reply
mickyd @ 08/09/2011 20:48  

tyre and wheel size would change speed sprocket change should only change the reves and fuel

Update Reply
steven4004 @ 05/10/2011 19:56  

Hi Steve , cheers for that ...... will try if i can get the thing started ???

Update Reply
mickyd @ 05/10/2011 20:00  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email