MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Triumph T509 Speed triple - battery problems

Triumph T509 Speed triple - battery problems - Forums [Biker Match] Triumph T509 Speed triple - battery problems - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Triumph T509 Speed triple - battery problems

My bike seems to have developed a habit of discharging the battery over night - which is obviously highly inconvenient...there is definately something drawing power even when the ignition is off. My mate reckons it could be corroded connections in the starter motor or a dodgy regulator....has anyone else had any problems like this. At the moment I'm just thinking of inserting a breaker on the -ve battery lead so I can disconnect it easily over night as a stop gap measure [I'm off to the lakes on it next week!!] Any ideas would be appreciated!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/07/2011 17:06  

Hi Russ , Is your bike actually charging the battery ? if yes is the battery holding the charge ? is the battery old ? have you got heated grips on the bike ? as i had a similar problem on one of my bikes in that although the ignition was off for some reason the grips were still draining power , i firstly pulled the fuse on the grips , and the problem cured , so i replaced the grips and had no other problems , so i would check your bike is charging the battery first ? hope this helps ?????? good luck , kev

Update Reply
mickyd @ 30/07/2011 19:40  

No I don't have heated grips - the bike is definateley charging the battery cos I jump started it yesterday and it was fine after I'd done a few miles- if I pull out the 40amp starter fuse will this isolate the battery from the starter??

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 31/07/2011 08:18  

Not sure pull the fuse and see if you have any power to anything maybe still hazard lights

Update Reply
JP @ 31/07/2011 09:00  

well the plot thickens - got up this morning armed with charged spare batteryand it hasn't discharged! Bloody bikes!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 31/07/2011 10:11  

I guess the first battery is the problem ? not holding a charge .

Update Reply
mickyd @ 31/07/2011 12:09  

ignore the last post ...... got my thick head on !!!!!!! sorry

Update Reply
mickyd @ 31/07/2011 12:11  

I had a very similar problem on the car a few years back. Everything switched off, but discharging at about 2 amps.
Turned out to be a faulty regulator.

Update Reply
Wills @ 31/07/2011 12:20  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email