MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Sat navs - advise please

Sat navs -  advise please (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Sat navs -  advise please (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Sat navs - advise please

Am with Suz... I print off maps and stick em in the front pocket of me tank bag.... ... I manage 99% of the time.. lol If I have a "scenic detour" I ask for directions .. lol worked so far :)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 31/05/2011 12:59  

Same here as Suzi and Star. I got to the local discount shop and buy a copy of last year's road atlas for £1.99 or even less, and then cut up, photocopy as required for the tank bag. I'm also the same as Shadow, buy last year's satnav for the car. Don't need to get a stanav to drive from, say, Nottingham from Liverpool, but finding an address in suburban Nottingham would be a definite satnav job if I'm on my own. Saves an awful lot of bother.

Update Reply
Wills @ 31/05/2011 14:01  

Ian I have the zumo, it was very difficult to download the map update and the blue tooth cardo rider cuts out when it feels like it. the zumo is very solid well built and does its job with lots of extras but because of the cost of updating it i would seriously consider getting a phone with a sat nav and just listening to it.To be honest I have used mine a lot on the bike but rarely look at it, the ear plugs you get custom made with audio are well worth the money but if you get a mobile phone with one in all you have to worry about is getting a comfortable ear piece,also a phone upgrade with new maps is easier than updating a sat nav in my opinion.I wouldnt rely on trying to hear a car one as traffic noise will drown it out, i did use one in a tank bag for a while.

Update Reply
julie j @ 31/05/2011 15:24  

zumo 550 or 660 always go with garmin better maps and very good service if they go wrong plus 100% water proof

Update Reply
sumodwarf @ 31/05/2011 19:40  

I got the cheapest car one I could find, just in case it was too complicated and never got used,.. (or broke/lost more likely)! I put it in my mapcase, with a laminated photocopy of the area I'm going into below it, then run a cable (through a loose fag lighter socket) to a small 12v dry-cell battery in one of the cubby holes. I can swop it all between bikes in less than a minute, the battery lasts for well over 20 hours, and I think they cost less than £10 for a Yuasa one. So with the nav, cable, M/F sockets and battery,.. maybe £120.

Update Reply
Paj1369 @ 31/05/2011 19:56  

You will never get lost with a good map

Update Reply
JP @ 31/05/2011 20:01  

You can buy the waterproof case for them ........... fits to the bars

http://www.satnaveasy.co.uk/kit-gps-moto-so-easy-rider-...12501.html

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 31/05/2011 22:44  

I preferred your wrap it in cling film suggestion SF, very imaginative!

Update Reply
Roachy @ 31/05/2011 23:11  

i have just looked at shadows link, its perfect, i can use my van tom tom xl live sat nav and i dont have to pay a fortune out !!! thanks sf

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 31/05/2011 23:15  

TomTom are the best as recommended by the Gadget Show

http://fwd.channel5.com/gadget-show/bestbuys/sat-nav/satnav

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/06/2011 04:09  

Tom tom sat savs are not water proof

Update Reply
sumodwarf @ 01/06/2011 06:56  

they are in a waterproof case sumo !

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/06/2011 07:23  

If you going to have a permanent connection (rather than an external socket), such as a powerlet cable, then you need to ensure that once the GPS unit is removed you keep it protected from the elements as the mini USB can rust. Maybe best to connect from a socket so you can remove it

Update Reply
Big Al.. @ 01/06/2011 08:08  

on the limk that sf supplied, there is a battery pack that supplys ten hours of time, and it all fits in the water proof case

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/06/2011 08:14  

I use both maps and a garmin zumo 400, the sat-nav is handy to get you through unfamilier towns (Barcelona, Toledo etc). Open road just follow the signs.

Update Reply
bbbent @ 01/06/2011 08:41  

Nokia's phone sat nav works fine and free maps for life, blue tooth connect or earphone or tank map holder with basics written down ie M1 off at junc 19
on to M6 Off at JUNC 10
Roundabout 2ND EXT ONTO B449 etc ....

Prefer the latter tho on more than one occasion been with folk following SAT NAV being asked to turn down one way streets n the like.....

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/06/2011 10:00  

Ian - Just been on the link - it's £100 with assessories. I've got a spare RAM mount and TT holder and a powerlet cable which attaches to the battery terminals, with Mini USB for the TT. Make me an offer

Update Reply
Big Al.. @ 02/06/2011 14:21  

pm sent AL

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/06/2011 14:29  

use a map

Update Reply
firebladejohn @ 02/06/2011 22:22  

aye gone of the days when every one found there way round places via pubs or well known land marks,I hate my sat nav its a much use as a chocolate fire guard,I tend to look up on route finder make mentle note or revert back to the old fashion way write it down like sparky has said.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/06/2011 08:35  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email