MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Insurance for pillion

Insurance for pillion (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Insurance for pillion (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Insurance for pillion

Insurance?
Lol yes full cover from Bennetts Including all benefits uk and eu gear and pilly's gear and breakdown £175.00 That'll do pig, that'll do

Update Reply
The Dark One @ 12/04/2011 09:33  

Interesting reading, and not something I've ever thought about.
With such a useful link, is there something we can do to stop this topic getting lost in all the others? I'm thinking FAQs or Sticky Topics? Anyone? Matt?

Update Reply
Bandit_Mr_P @ 12/04/2011 13:11  

Nope there isn't hon, the only thing at the moment was for me to do what I did and bring it up from general chat to active,

We can keep BUMPing it, and I think if everyone who is insured to carry a pilly checks the level of cover thier pilly gets, both in the UK and Europe as well as if a 3rd party is involved or not, it may pursued others to take a closer look at insurance which cannot be a bad thing?

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 12/04/2011 13:40  

checked with mine today (devitt) and the nice gentleman told me the pillion is also covered in EU countries and some others listed i.e Switzerland

Update Reply
pondlife @ 13/04/2011 04:21  

Think it would be a good idea for anyone who carries a pilly regularly to check with their insurance.

To be honest as a pilly its never crossed my mind about whether i was insured or not, just assumed ................. you find out something new everyday.

Excellent thread

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 13/04/2011 10:25  

Yeah it was a big shock to me too Jackie, to find that some pilly cover only covers you if there has been a 3rd party involved ????

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 13/04/2011 11:40  

I was a pilly involved in a RTA 2 years ago. Third party was a lorry. The bike was a write off, but riders insurance paid out very quickly. Lorry company finally accepted full responsibility and paid out compensation to both myself and rider for injuries received. New helmets/expenses/medical expenses recovered from the lorry company. Rider was insured to carry a pilly. Liability was in dispute to start with - solicitor A acted for rider and myself, but then said because there was a potential conflict of interest, appointed another firm of solicitors to act on my behalf. I was classed as the innocent party so my solicitor would either make a claim against the rider or against the lorry company depending who was classed at fault. If the lorry company had not accepted responsibilty, then my solicitor would have lodged a claim for compensation/recovery of losses against the rider and their insurance company. My legal costs were recovered from the lorry company. Fun and games to say the least. Now, had we'd been involved in an accident in the UK with no third party involved, rider would have made a claim for his bike . . . . I wouldn't have even thought about making a claim against the rider for compensation :-s I wouldn't have been aware that I could, if I could, if you know what I mean. Not sure that I would want to make a claim against my riding buddie (even though its not against him personally but against his insurance company). We all get on a bike knowing the risks. So I guess the question to ask of your insurance company when carrying a pilly is, is the pilly covered for personal accident/injuries (which I obviously was, but I didn't realise I was). With regards to the pilly having cover for cost of medical expenses and repatriation home should they be involved in an accident whilst abroad - for peace of mind at a cost of about £35, suggest that the pilly takes out their own insurance and then pilly knows for sure that they're covered.

Update Reply
DaftUn @ 13/04/2011 23:35  

I'm 'bumping' this thread - I hope those of you who haven't seen it before, find it 'informative'

Update Reply
DaftUn @ 12/03/2012 19:45  

Cheers Karen, I couldnt find it lol

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 12/03/2012 20:02  

...and I don't recall seeing it before. Does the pillion insurance cover ALL bikes that the pillion rides, or is it bike-specific?

Update Reply
Sandi @ 13/03/2012 09:10  

isnt 'pillion insurance' part of the bike insurance so the passenger is covered the same as if in a car (assuming that the rider has taken the pillion option)..
thought the original post was more about the travel insurance side of things as most policies wont cover you if you are injured whilst travelling on a 'bike' - blame the drunken bods on mopeds in majorca for that so you wouldnt be entitled to the repatriation and other extra bits that your travel insurance covers, and would have to take your chances with the EU medical card or if outside the EU pay for it yourself.. just been lookign into this as am going on bike hol to US this year so standard travel insurance wouldnt cover it. Did mine through Carol Nash.. went for the yearly policy as also covers you whilst on 'holiday' in UK..

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 13/03/2012 09:43  

I really can't wait till a claim is thown out and the insurance company being taken to court I will put my money on them losing the case. Your pilly is a 3rd party so always covered

Update Reply
JP @ 13/03/2012 10:30  

Sorry not read the rest of the thread to see if this has been posted already. Are car drivers insurances going to do the same and make them have extra insurance as well I agree JP.

Update Reply
Timeout @ 14/03/2012 18:03  

Does anyone know if the pillion insurance covers ALL bikes that the pillion rides, or is it bike-specific?

Update Reply
Sandi @ 15/03/2012 00:45  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email