MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

BM Website Issues/Help Requests

Links in Events

Links in Events - Forums [Biker Match] Links in Events - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / BM Website Issues/Help Requests /

Links in Events

I'm cruising around the events calender, I see folks that are going and have a few questions, or maybe want to read up as to whats happening, or how people are getting there, pillions etc...

Would it be a good idea, if there was a thread on the event in question being linked to the events calender?

Update Reply
DynaToon @ 20/02/2011 12:11  

Yes it would. I've given this some thought but my idea would make work for Matt, so I don't know how viable it would be. But here goes: 1) The thread title is a hyperlink to the event details. 2) The event title is a hyperlink to the thread. The creation of 'insert/edit hyperlink' (like with word) on the create event/create topic functions would be needed for members to DIY, but it could just be a mod tool, as a bit more jiggery pokery would be required to convert a title to a hyperlink down the line. If you start a thread to canvas interest and it's added to the

Update Reply
6ypsy @ 20/02/2011 13:09  

damn good idea Dyna

Update Reply
feistygirl @ 20/02/2011 13:42  

The problem, as always, is user input.

I could add a drop down box on the Add Event page allowing people to select the relevant forum topic.... But folks will just select any topic at random... Thus creating more work for mods.

Update Reply
Matt @ 20/02/2011 14:04  

How about giving a member of the events team the permission to do it then or are the mod permissions "all or nothing" rather than specific

Update Reply
feistygirl @ 20/02/2011 14:33  

I've just re-read what I've attempted to say , lol, not enough coffee.

This is more to the point of what I mean.

- Your in Events where you can get an email link, website link, tel number for all the details of the actual event, but none for the thread (If one exists). So how about a link in the EVENTS LINKS BOX to any forum thread that may exist about the event.

Update Reply
DynaToon @ 20/02/2011 14:38  

This was one of the resons for moving the fourms about so we dont have to go over pages of stuff to fine what event topic we were lookng for most events are staying on the 1st page now some still drift onto page 2

Update Reply
JP @ 20/02/2011 14:47  

@JP

All this suggestion is , is to put a link from the actual event (events calender) directly to the thread discussion, so theres no need for anything to be moved about at all.
It does make forum navigation easier though as it would take you right to the thread instead of having to trawl through all the now different forums.
This isn't anything to do with moderation.

Update Reply
DynaToon @ 20/02/2011 15:13  

i agree, it's something I want. Once a forum topic and event are 'linked' then a link can be added on both the forum AND event page to the relevant place. BUT... you've still got to manually select the right forum topic, and I know people will just select the first in the list (i KNOW they will do this) so. Also, what if there are 2 forum topics about the event? We could trial it though. I could edit the database to create a link between forums and events, then change the site scripts a little to add a link for you to click on. I will create something next weekend, hopefully I'll be recovered enough from my surgery to sit at my PC then

Update Reply
Matt @ 20/02/2011 15:26  

If I submit an Event to Sandi, she inputs all the info I give her, as its an event, it has to go into that forum (default?).
I really hope this works with no probs as I think it could be a useful tool.
Cheers Matt

Update Reply
DynaToon @ 20/02/2011 15:31  

ERR yes I think I get it now will just meen that keeping one thread per event is a must as for your doing it Matt you know BJ and Boss mom will give you a hard time if you stuff your back again so LEAVE it for a couple of weeks

Update Reply
JP @ 20/02/2011 15:50  

Would it be a good idea, if there was a thread on the event in question being linked to the events calender? DynaToon are you trying to diddle me out of a job? lol I already add a link to the calendar events in an event topic on the forum, but I can see how a static link on page one of the topic and a link to the event forum from the event calendar would be helpful. People refer to the events calendar as the events page which can confuse cos there's an events forum which also gets referred to as the events page are you confused yet?

Update Reply
Sandi @ 20/02/2011 21:28  

Sorry Sandi n You'll never be replaced.

Update Reply
DynaToon @ 20/02/2011 22:19  

If the first item in the list was "create a new thread" for this event, then they wouldn't be linked to random threads.

Update Reply
Say_Ten @ 21/02/2011 13:39  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email