MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

Motorbikes to be Banned from Using Cycle Lanes (London)

Motorbikes to be Banned from Using Cycle Lanes (London) - Forums [Biker Match] Motorbikes to be Banned from Using Cycle Lanes (London) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

Motorbikes to be Banned from Using Cycle Lanes (London)

Motorcyclists are to be banned from using bus lanes following a rise in cycle collisions, despite not being involved in a single one. A report on a trial of motorcycles sharing bus lanes with cycles in Ealing, London, says: “Whilst there were no direct collisions between a motorcycle and a pedal cycle, it is suggested that there must be a casual link given that the only change between the data-sets was the motorcycle experiment.” It adds: “The most likely reason for the increase [in cycle collisions] is that cyclists are riding closer to the kerb (because of motorcycles passing fast and close), making them less visible to other road users.” As a result motorcyclists face being banned from the borough’s bus lanes by summer.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Update Reply
Sandi @ 15/01/2011 10:48  

“The most likely reason for the increase [in cycle collisions] is that cyclists are riding closer to the kerb (because of motorcycles passing fast and close), making them less visible to other road users.” How come bikers get the blame even when they aint done anything wrong? And why doesn't the government slap rules and regs on cyclists like they do with bikers?

Update Reply
Sandi @ 15/01/2011 10:51  

Will they ban bicycles from filtering with the big boys then? Nah.
Why is it that cyclists never seem to be able to do no wrong?
I drive HGVs and the amount of cyclists that try and SQUEEZE down the inside and into my blind spot is incredible. Not to mention red lights mean 'Go ahead for cyclists'. No wonder loads get knocked off.

I'm not ashamed to say, I HATE cyclists.

Update Reply
DynaToon @ 15/01/2011 11:45  

A different report states: Ealing Council is to scrap their motorcycles in bus lanes experiment which they started in 2009. Ealing council state there were significantly more motorcylist casualties, mainly caused by cars turning across bus lanes into side junctions. Original claims for the bus lane trials suggested there would be a 40% safety benefit to motorcyclists, by giving them access to bus lanes. Sounds like they want to get bikers off the road and don't care how they do it.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 15/01/2011 12:00  

Once their packages start arriving late, they'll rethink it

Update Reply
DynaToon @ 15/01/2011 12:17  

We get a bum rap because we're all in league with Satan!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 15/01/2011 13:26  

does this mean i may as well knock cyclists off anyway as we`ll get the blame regardless.

Update Reply
mark800 @ 15/01/2011 18:26  

I work in Newcastle upon Tyne, and I've seen more dangerous cyclists as opose to bikers on the road, cyclists seem to not give a damn bout any rules on the road, including red lights, and safety equipment, if it was bikers, we'd be banned, but cyclists seem to get away with it

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/01/2011 20:12  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email