MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

help/advice

help/advice - Forums [Biker Match] help/advice - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

help/advice

just wondering if anyone can help me.......just got in from a ride out, got hell of a wobble on the front end followed by what sounded like a cracking sound or like something snapping.......any ideas or suggestions please

Update Reply
gordon62 @ 03/09/2010 00:19  

Can't offer any easy answers based on what you've said, but it doesn't sound good, and I'd get it looked as ASAP. I'd start in the morning by pushing/pulling everything connected to the front end of the bike to see if anything is flapping loose, though.

Update Reply
Wills @ 03/09/2010 00:48  

Found on the net 1) Wheel bearings. (believe it or not, the rear) But check both front and back.2) Steering head bearings.3) Unbalanced wheel. (also, almost always the rear wheel)Get your wheels checked first. If one is not balanced properly, then that is the easiest fix. Then go to the wheel bearings and last the steering head. I know zilch about bikes Gordon but a crack doesn't sound good at all, deffo don't ride it til it's sorted. Let us know what the cause is when you find out. Hope it's not expensive.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 03/09/2010 09:03  

Sounds like a something sheering, sheck all nuts on front end, wheel bearings and also could be a bearing going in the head bearings........another thought check the frame for cracks especially around the yolk head...other than that mate I would be taking it very slowly to the nearest reliable bike shop

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/09/2010 23:17  

thanks for all the info guys, i've decided to play safe n just get it into Kaizen Bikes n let them sort it, i think something like that just isn't worth the risk, i'll let you know kwak as soon as i find out

Update Reply
gordon62 @ 03/09/2010 23:40  

Hi,
Am I right in thinking the wheel wobble came before the noise?
If so it could be something as simple as front wheel balance weights flying of & hitting something else-or possibly a tyre breaking up;check for odd shapes/runout on the tyres,or even wire sticking out through the tyres-perhaps even a puncture or blowout.
In any event,check the bike over BEFORE riding it anywhere in case it`s serious damage somewhere-if unsure get it recovered to wherever you take it to be checked/repaired.

Update Reply
Wraith750 @ 05/09/2010 22:41  

wheel bearing

Update Reply
earthwind @ 05/09/2010 23:16  

Best have a good look at the tyre a mate on a run suddenly same probs bad wobble on bike turned out his tyre was coming apart as said check for odd bumps and lumps

Update Reply
JP @ 06/09/2010 04:58  

I had bangs/cracking noises coming from the front one time,bike seemed to be alright till i tried going round a sharp bend,tyre came away from the rim,had it checked by the rac who said tyre/valve ok the only way it could have happened is if somebody has let pressure out of the tyre, this was after being at stormin a few years ago before I set off for it tyre pressure was spot on. I'd be checking the tyre first.Good luck

Update Reply
fxr swas @ 06/09/2010 13:02  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email