MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

BM Website Issues/Help Requests

New events photos gallery!

New events photos gallery! - Forums [Biker Match] New events photos gallery! - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / BM Website Issues/Help Requests /

New events photos gallery!

ok it's almost 5am here and I've been making the new events photos gallery for about 14 hours now. My eyes are about to shut and my head is shutting down for the day. I'm about 50% complete and I have the hardest part out of the way. So far I have the image gallery loading ok, now I just need to integrate the advanced uploader so you can upload hundreds of files into the event galleries quickly. I have managed to preserve the tagging system, kinda. Enough to keep those who want it happy. Tomorrow I might have a day off and carry on with this on Monday. I plan to be finished before Tuesday if possible.

Update Reply
Matt @ 29/08/2010 03:45  

Almost finished. You're gonna love it, so much faster (especially for those not using internet explorer). It's also much easier on the server and so might fix the recent random performance issues

Update Reply
Matt @ 29/08/2010 13:18  

Ok i've switched it over, I'm just doing some final testing with it in live phase before I tell you all about it

Update Reply
Matt @ 29/08/2010 13:42  

Testing has gone really good so far, I must be getting better at this programming malarky. Except for cocking up the PROFILE uploader at one point (whooops) everything went well. So, after 24 hours of eye-blurring programming we have a new events photos section. Here are the benefits/features of it... Much faster and more efficient than the old photos page - reducing server load dramatically and hopefully fixing recent performance issues No more refreshing the whole page each time you click a photo - it fades into an open window like the profile ones do Advanced Uploader has been included so you can rotate, auto-resize, preview, select multiple files, bulk upload etc. Simple Uploader still available - but you can select 8 files now rather than 1 and you also get a progress bar Works the same in all browsers, no seperate versions for Firefox vs IE anymore. Consistency - it has the same look and feel of the profile galleries (though it's not the same) Tagging remains! You can still tag photos. But - the tagging window opens as a popup. This is necessary to allow all browsers to tag, not just IE. Also, clicking the open photos closes them now, rather than tags, You can see which photos you've already tagged without opening a photo because the "Tag" icon changes Tagged photos still appear in your profile. Photos are now larger, although existing tagged photos open with the old size to maintain tag layouts. New photos can be tagged at a larger size Photos can be DELETED now... by either Staff, the person who uploaded the photo or the person who started the event. This also clears the tags for that photo. Photos can be reported to moderators at the click of a button Only people LOGGED IN to BikerMatch can view event photos The main things are the performance fixes, several bug fixes, faster uploading of multiple file and standardisation over different browsers and the profiles section. Here's some example events I've added... My trip around Europe - http://www.bikermatch.co.uk/sites/bm/events/gallery/gal...ent_id=160 BM Xmas 2006 do - http://www.bikermatch.co.uk/sites/bm/events/gallery/gallery.asp?event_id=1041 I hope you like it, cos I do.

Update Reply
Matt @ 29/08/2010 14:07  

Excellent! Every one of those steps is an improvement.

Next time you overhaul the gallery, can I make a couple of suggestions:

1 A button to move on to the next picture automatically would be helpful, and

2 Any way of displaying who the photographer (or at least the person loading the picture) is? Photographers often like to be given credit for their work, and also as it stands it's a bit like allowing people to post on the forums anonymously.

Apart from that, great

Update Reply
Wills @ 29/08/2010 14:59  

I can add the uploader's username at the bottom of the photo if you like (when enlarged). I can't create a next button because I don't know how to lol, i know i know. Is anyone able to test the system on an Apple Mac? That's like the ultimate time - if it works on a Mac then it will work on anything. I need someone to test uploading (with advanced and simple uploader), tagging, deleting tags and deleting photos. Thanks

Update Reply
Matt @ 29/08/2010 15:25  

I've updated it so that it now says under each photo "Uploaded by USERNAME from LOCATION". The location is pulled from your profile.

Update Reply
Matt @ 29/08/2010 15:51  

I've updated it so that it now says under each photo "Uploaded by USERNAME from LOCATION". I don't see any text at all Matt. EDITED: I found it lol (specsavers was closed)

Update Reply
Sandi @ 29/08/2010 21:56  

Anymore feedback on this? What does everyone think? Took me a long time making so hope it's what we all want. Looking forward to seeing some people bulk-uploading photos!

Update Reply
Matt @ 30/08/2010 17:56  

it looks good Mat a big improvement thanks for the work you put in.

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 30/08/2010 18:06  

Hi Matt, just looked at the new photo galleries, well, they looking gud I must say, so much easier to scroll through them. Glad you have kept the tagging as well.
Great work!!!
The only thing that didnt work for me was the bit about who's foto it was.

Update Reply
drobess @ 30/08/2010 19:58  

thanks mate, I'm really chuffed with myself for managing to get it working in all browsers (that was the hardest part of the design). The tagging was the big problem. So I really want feedback from more people, especially with Apple products, to let me know if it works or not for them

Update Reply
Matt @ 30/08/2010 19:59  

just added a few random pics from Roughleys yesterday and I didn't have to re-size them Am well happy thank you Matt

Update Reply
anneka56 @ 30/08/2010 23:05  

Drobess, if you mean the text that tells you who uploaded the photo, look BELOW the pic. I missed it completely too, I was looking within the photo. Anneka, LOL @ 'Best Classic' if that was the best I'd hate to see the others. Ta for adding them

Update Reply
Sandi @ 30/08/2010 23:32  

wait till I hit you with the ones from Stormin the Castle this weekend

Update Reply
anneka56 @ 31/08/2010 00:08  

You're on fire now aint ya Anneka? Go gurl lol

Update Reply
Sandi @ 31/08/2010 00:12  

woo hoo taking 2 camera's

Update Reply
anneka56 @ 31/08/2010 00:15  

Two cameras? Is that cos ya can't remember how to load the film?

Update Reply
Sandi @ 31/08/2010 00:17  

film???? what's that???? purely digital now and got phone camera as back up !!!!

Update Reply
anneka56 @ 31/08/2010 00:19  

ohhhh ohhhhh a cant wait till wkend to get some photoes so a can use this cos am hopless but all thats to tecko for me sooooooo so do a have to still upload the photoes onto ma pictures on ma computer then go into ma page and individually load them on to ma BM page ? and hey boss your quite clever arnt ya :)

Update Reply
madhat @ 31/08/2010 00:33  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email